Nerf Dart Tag Snapfire 8 - Mod Guide!

Better ranges!

1 reply to this topic

#1 SgNerf

SgNerf

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 01:31 AM

With the Nerf Dart Tag Snapfire 8 hitting stores in the States soon (they have been on sale in SG since early June 2012), this would be something of interest to modders.

This Mod Guide will cover some basic performance mods for the Nerf Snapfire 8.

Mods covered:
- Air Restrictor (AR) Removal
- Rotating Barrel Dart Post Removal

Note: The modding steps are similar to the Nerf Speedswarm Mod and Nerf Swarmfire Mod.

Disclaimer: Modify at your own risk. Modifications may wear out or damage your blaster. Please be careful when using hobby tools!

:: AR Removal ::

Step 1: Disassemble your Snapfire 8. Make sure to remove all the screws before detaching the casing layers. Remove the plunger tube.

Posted Image

Step 2: Look down the plunger tube, you will see the air restrictor assembly.

Posted Image

Step 3: Use a wire cutter and snip off the 4 support posts holding the air restrictor assembly, all the AR parts will fall out.

Posted Image

The ARs have been removed! Easy.

:: Rotating Barrel Dart Post Removal ::

This mod is for users who want to be able to use solid core or short length DIY foam darts (ie. stefans) or as a modding step before re-barrel mods.

Detach the rotating barrel from the casing.

Posted Image

Use a wire cutter to remove the dart posts.

Posted Image

Clean up all the debris and sharp edges, make sure the back of the turret is smooth and flat.

Posted Image

I've found the existing turret barrel fit and length ideal for the 3.25cm length customized stefans that i use.

Assemble everything... now you have a stefan compatible Snapfire 8!

Posted Image

With the stefans sitting inside the turret barrels, nothing is protruding out of the front, therefore its much easier to store or holster the Snapfire 8 in this configuration too.

:: Modified Nerf Snapfire 8 - Range Test Video ::

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56el62NlKzQ

:: Sample Test Fire Data ::

PTG: Parallel-To-Ground (Shoulder height, no elevation)
Distance is measured at where the shot lands (Average of 8 shots).

Modded Snapfire 8 (AR Removal & Dart Post Removal)
Ammo: Customized foam + 1.1 gram soft silicone tip weight

"Speed" Mode Range = 35-40ft
"Power" Mode Range = 45-50ft

Note that the tests were done under controlled conditions with customized foam darts. The results are sample estimates for reference (your results may differ depending on materials and mod techniques used).

:: Side Notes ::

Additional plunger to turret seal improvements were not required as the Snapfire 8 uses a system that pushes the plunger against the turret during the firing process, thereby already creating an excellent turret seal.

In addition, i've not done any stronger aftermarket spring installations as i'm focusing on retaining the blaster's rate-of-fire and ease of use... and my trigger finger doesn't exactly have superhuman strength yet! :lol:

Edited by SgNerf, 01 July 2012 - 01:54 AM.

Nerf News & Reviews! >> http://www.sgnerf.blogspot.com
Nerf Mod Guides! >> http://www.modworks.blogspot.com

#2 BabyGandhi

BabyGandhi

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 06:46 AM

Yep, it looks like you need to strengthen that trigger finger, you're pulling to the right... :-) Great mod. It seems I buy ever gun you review.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users