Photo

Air Zone Crossbow Overhaul

Because all crossbows should be amazing!

5 replies to this topic

#1 Buffdaddy

Buffdaddy

Do not buy from this member

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 824 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 09:48 AM

Several people have modified Air Zone Crossbows for use with stefans, with some degree of success. However, it is not primary material, unlike the Nerf Crossbow. This writeup is intended to help rectify that problem.

First things first: the stock internals (pic taken AFTER partial disassembly and cutting).

Posted Image

The plunger has massive draw, and looks impressive. At least until you open it up and realize the entire thing is hollow. There is no actual plunger head; this operates purely by moving a massive amount or air. In essence, it's a giant, crappy reverse plunger. That needs replacement.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Here is the solution! That plunger tube happens to be 1" in diameter, although the walls are a bit thick. Easiest thing is dropping in 1" PETG for the new PT. I kept the green base from the old plunger, and stuffed/glued in place a 3/4" to 1/2" CPVC bushing at the front. Notice that I moved the green piece forward, just in front of the screw well. In it's original place are two pieces of polycarbonate! These will act as the spring rest.

Posted Image

As for the original catch, the inside circle measures roughly 9/16". Due to lack of materials, I grabbed a 9.5: length of 1/2" wooden dowel rod, and pieces of brass to fill the gap. I retained the original pin and used it to secure everything. PLEASE NOTE THAT YOU SHOULD USE SOME KIND OF PLASTIC ROD. That will last a lot longer.

Posted Image

Here is the whole plunger assembly. I used a fairly large Wood screw to secure the NF plunger head, and doubled up on the o-rings. You see 3 Buzz Bee Double Shot/Tek 6/EVERYTHING springs. Fairly weak, but as this is a prototype, I wanted to keep as much of the original draw as possible. If you're going to add stronger springs, you should probably put some metal brackets in the shell for reinforcement - the plastic slot the polycarb sits in would not last.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Put everything in the shell, secure the PT/center it, and close up! You still look stock, but the new internals allow you to make this a beast, with proper reinforcement. Adding a [k26], or 2 Ace #49s will be the next step.

Please note that you'll need to change up the length of your plunger rod compared to this writeup. If you want a longer or shorter plunger tube, if your spring(s) are different sizes, etc. Measure twice, cut once!

Ranges? Only decent, hitting about 60' with slugs. Mainly, this is lust due to the weak spring combo. That will soon be rectified :D

Edited by Buffdaddy, 19 June 2012 - 09:50 AM.

#2 taerKitty

taerKitty

• Members
  • 883 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:00 AM

Very nice. Now, you just need to add a stock, a pistol grip, and paint it purple! :)
Fugly is a feature.

#3 evilbunnyo

evilbunnyo

• Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:37 AM

Of course I threw mine out because it broke. Probbally hasn't got very far so ill see if I can do this. Nice write up very clean. Hopefully a stronger spring will get you better ranges because before mine broke it was getting 50+ with the stock bungees.
Silence is golden but duct tape is silver

#4 The Nerfaholic

The Nerfaholic

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:48 AM

If I recall, doesn't the trigger work as the catch and wouldn't that make it really fragile?
Roses are red, And violets are blue. One day we'll cruise down Blood Gulch avenue.

#5 ScoutsIX3

ScoutsIX3

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 04:32 PM

If I recall, doesn't the trigger work as the catch and wouldn't that make it really fragile?

You're correct, the trigger is also the catch. However, it is fairly beefy, so it shouldn't cause a problem, at least with lower-force springs/bungees.

I removed the arms and glued the front handle of a DTG around the trigger on mine. It works pretty well.

Edited by ScoutsIX3, 19 June 2012 - 04:33 PM.

#6 Phree Agent

Phree Agent

• Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:24 PM

I will say that in my experience, the trigger WILL break after lots of use. And that was way back when with just the stock bungees and a crayola barrel.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users