First annual Parabolic Toys contest!

or, How We Got All the Cool People to Build Rocket Launchers

64 replies to this topic

#51 ferball

ferball

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 11:48 PM

I am coming in late but I have a bad ass idea for the "other" category, but a spring may work.

#52 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:36 PM

Okay folks, big update:

1. All testing rockets have been shipped out. If you don't have them yet, you should in a few days.

2. I am setting a final entry date of July 30th, 2012. If you intend to enter, then please do so as soon as possible, or you may not be able to get a rocket in time to troubleshoot your design.

3. Y U NO START POST LAUNCHER BUILDS IN ENTRY THREAD?
[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#53 Daniel Beaver

Daniel Beaver

HQRSE CQCK

• Moderators
  • 2,097 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:50 AM

Okay folks, big update:

1. All testing rockets have been shipped out. If you don't have them yet, you should in a few days.

2. I am setting a final entry date of July 30th, 2012. If you intend to enter, then please do so as soon as possible, or you may not be able to get a rocket in time to troubleshoot your design.

3. Y U NO START POST LAUNCHER BUILDS IN ENTRY THREAD?

Yeah, no, that's way too early. I can't build a gun I don't have ammo for, and I'm not likely to even receive my rockets before the submission time is over. Give us until August 8th at the very least.

#54 ThatBritishGuy

ThatBritishGuy

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 09:02 AM

Yeah, no, that's way too early. I can't build a gun I don't have ammo for, and I'm not likely to even receive my rockets before the submission time is over. Give us until August 8th at the very least.

I think he meant the latest you can declare that you have entered is July the 30th. The submission deadline Is stated as August 15th in the OP.
My sales thread

Any Blaster mod or homemade that I post I can commission. Send me a PM on NerfHaven or BritNerf or email me by sam@lusher.org.uk

#55 Righteous Fondue

Righteous Fondue

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 09:05 PM

In that case, I'm entering, but won't ask for a rocket until I start building. Also, how long do the barrels need to be?

Edited by Righteous_Fondue, 26 July 2012 - 10:23 PM.

They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

#56 cheyner

cheyner

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:18 PM

Do we need a detailed write-up?
Or are your requirements in the submission thread all you are looking for?
I ask because my laptop died this week and I lost all of my
pictures for my entries.

Edited by cheyner, 27 July 2012 - 09:19 PM.

Beaver's post claiming Kane's post claiming Demon Lord's post is correct is correct is correct.

Canadian Nerfers-R.I.P.

#57 ferball

ferball

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 12:29 PM

I got my rocket today, my 9 year old has been working on design sketches all weekend. Now if I can incorporate his vision with the mechanics of the whole thing our launcher will be awesome.

#58 hoongfu

hoongfu

• Members
  • 475 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 01:12 PM

In that case, I'm entering, but won't ask for a rocket until I start building. Also, how long do the barrels need to be?

8" more or less. More is better though so you have a little more clearance between the fins and the blaster/pump.

#59 venom213

venom213

• Validating
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 03:22 PM

I came into possession of a defective batch of 3/4" PVC today. This stuff has a smaller OD than normal, so it doesn't fit regular 3/4" fittings. What it does fit, however, is even more intriguing. This PVC fits very well inside the sleeves of Draconis' rockets and also fits very well inside most 1" regular SCH 40 PVC (Jumbo slug breech, perhaps?). I figured I should get the word out on this stuff ASAP, since it's not too long before this contest ends and there are a lot of people who may still need barrels for rockets. Pricing will be fairly reasonable for this stuff. I got it all for free, so the deciding factors for the price are basic supply/demand and labor. Shipping shouldn't be too much either. I have a mitre saw, which is an ideal tool for cutting this pipe quickly and evenly. If you're interested in some of this one of a kind PVC, send an email to venomm213@gmail.com.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by venom213, 30 July 2012 - 03:23 PM.

#60 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 04:47 PM

Do we need a detailed write-up?
Or are your requirements in the submission thread all you are looking for?
I ask because my laptop died this week and I lost all of my
pictures for my entries.

It doesn't need to be a detailed writeup for the contest, but I would really like the designs to be available to the public.

I got my rocket today, my 9 year old has been working on design sketches all weekend. Now if I can incorporate his vision with the mechanics of the whole thing our launcher will be awesome.

I find that my kid has some of the most creative ideas in our house. His Minecraft game is ridiculous. I am glad you've gotten him involved!

8" more or less. More is better though so you have a little more clearance between the fins and the blaster/pump.

TWSS.

I came into possession of a defective batch of 3/4" PVC today. This stuff has a smaller OD than normal, so it doesn't fit regular 3/4" fittings. What it does fit, however, is even more intriguing. This PVC fits very well inside the sleeves of Draconis' rockets and also fits very well inside most 1" regular SCH 40 PVC (Jumbo slug breech, perhaps?). I figured I should get the word out on this stuff ASAP, since it's not too long before this contest ends and there are a lot of people who may still need barrels for rockets. Pricing will be fairly reasonable for this stuff. I got it all for free, so the deciding factors for the price are basic supply/demand and labor. Shipping shouldn't be too much either. I have a mitre saw, which is an ideal tool for cutting this pipe quickly and evenly. If you're interested in some of this one of a kind PVC, send an email to venomm213@gmail.com.

Thank you so much for helping out Venom!

#61 Crater

Crater

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:40 PM

I haven't been able to find the parts I need for my design, so I'm out. I'll try to post my design if I can. If/when I get the parts, I'll make a writeup.
Crater is a combination of a box and a dent in the ground. (Thanks Tangerle)

I'll stand on my head and gargle peanut butter for 70 dollars.

#62 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 06:45 PM

Posted Image

I received a sample of this pipe from Venom today, and I can verify that the rockets not only slip right on, the have a good seal and low friction. If you need a Titan barrel, I can set you up. If you just want some bare pipe to use on something else (*cough* contest entry *cough*), contact Venom today!

#63 ferball

ferball

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:44 PM

3/4 inch emt has promise from preliminary testing.

#64 Righteous Fondue

Righteous Fondue

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 08:25 PM

GAH, my entry was supposed to be used at BANO today, but last night the piston started leaking like crazy so it wouldn't work at all, I'll try to fix it before the deadline. On a different note, the missile performed fantastically during the war, and owned peoples' shields a fair amount.
They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

#65 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 12:52 AM

Well, that sucks. Keep working on it, and maybe it will come together.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users