DCIT Mk 2

Not your typical homemade

11 replies to this topic

#1 koree

koree

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 02:17 AM

2 years ago I commissioned Split to make the blaster that would eventually be named the "Don't call it that" He did an incredible job with the ideas we discussed. Daniel Beaver has described it as the best nerf gun ever. (Until the PAC came along, he still describes it as the best springer ever.) So how do you top that? Actually pretty easily, despite being awesome, the original DCIT was incredibly difficult to use. It was one of those blasters which was inconsistent unless you knew all the faults and quirks it had. With this new and improved version, I believe I've ironed out most if not all those faults.

Posted Image
Here it is with a NF for size comparison. It still has the features that makes the DCIT a DCIT, a vertical plunger tube that is located within the handle with an RSCB running along the top. Part of the plastic paintball gun that formed the grip and trigger mechanism have been retained.

Posted Image
The biggest change is the catch and trigger mechanism. The old DCIT used a variation of the +bow catch. This version uses a rainbow catch. The trigger is still linked to a bike brake cable, but unlike the original, the Mk 2 pulls the catch instead of pushing it, this has greatly increased the consistency in which system works. (The original would simply not work on occasion, the new version hasn't failed at any point thus far.) Additionally the cable now runs underneath the paintball gun grip, making the DCIT even more compact.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The RSCB now consists of half inch PVC running through an end cap at an angle and directly nests the CPVC barrel.

Firing Video
Posted Image

It shoots far. ;) Questions? Flames? I'd also like to mention that I know there are a few people in the NIC that are interested in making blasters with the DCIT layout. Please do! It facilitates an incredibly fun rushing focused play-style. However, I kindly ask that when you make a blaster with this layout, don't try to completely mimic what I've done. Try something slightly or drastically different and unique, I'd love to see what you come up with!

Edited by koree, 17 August 2012 - 04:33 PM.

#2 tassie nerfer modicas

tassie nerfer modicas

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 03:39 AM

Would this compatible to fire missiles or arrows?
If so it looks like you made a homemade Nerf triple torch/Jolt, well done :)
I took that which was considered holy and ripped apart to create an abomination, smiley face ;)

#3 andtheherois

andtheherois

• Banned
  • 821 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:57 AM

Very nice. I never liked the big ass ball handle split used. I'm surprised that barrel works however. Shouldn't you fill some of that dead space with hot glue or something? Also you should get yourself some delrin for that PR. Can't wait to see it at Smedley!
The YooToobz
Photobucket

Winning rounds is rewarding, deal with it. We don't play fucking patty cake over here.

#4 andtheherois

andtheherois

• Banned
  • 821 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 06:27 AM

Now you just need to build another one. Very nice work though. Does this still use 6" of Ptlike the original or did you increase the PT length? Also, did you think about killing deadspace around the barrel?
The YooToobz
Photobucket

Winning rounds is rewarding, deal with it. We don't play fucking patty cake over here.

#5 Daniel Beaver

Daniel Beaver

HQRSE CQCK

• Moderators
  • 2,097 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 06:54 AM

If so it looks like you made a homemade Nerf triple torch/Jolt, well done :)

Koree's been using this configuration since before the Jolt was a twinkle in a Hasbro engineer's mind.

#6 koree

koree

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 09:12 AM

Very nice. I never liked the big ass ball handle split used. I'm surprised that barrel works however. Shouldn't you fill some of that dead space with hot glue or something? Also you should get yourself some delrin for that PR. Can't wait to see it at Smedley!

Thanks! Yeah ball was also heavy and would cause the blaster to fire by moving the plunger rod on occasion, despite split's efforts to lighten it up. Also, I already did what you are suggesting, there's hardly any dead space in there, and the plunger head pretty much stops at the RSCB. As for the length of the PT, it's about 8 inches long, and it has a 4 inch draw.

Edited by koree, 15 June 2012 - 09:12 AM.

#7 evilbunnyo

evilbunnyo

• Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 09:41 AM

So you kinda made the jolt before NERF did then koree. How come Ive never seen this at a war? It probably does better than the night finder strapped to your back.
Silence is golden but duct tape is silver

#8 Daniel Beaver

Daniel Beaver

HQRSE CQCK

• Moderators
  • 2,097 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 10:26 PM

Daniel Beaver has described it as the best nerf gun ever (until the PAC came along, he still describes it as the best springer ever.

I stand by this statement. The NIC needs to make more of these.

#9 Exo

Exo

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 12:49 PM

You could simplify the entire trigger and catch mech by holding it "upside down", like a tonfa, then pushing on the catch directly (with some triggery furniture, of course).

#10 koree

koree

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 01:14 PM

You could simplify the entire trigger and catch mech by holding it "upside down", like a tonfa, then pushing on the catch directly (with some triggery furniture, of course).

And therefore complicate the process of aiming and priming. Sorry, not interested.

#11 Curly

Curly

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 06:16 PM

And therefore complicate the process of aiming and priming. Sorry, not interested.

This blaster is basically a large jolt, so I don't see why it can't be modified to trigger like that. Since the trigger design wasn't changed since the last version I don't see it being that much of a pain.

How is the weight distribution on this beast? Would it be possible to holster it with a small clip or would it require a lanyard or something?

Edited by Curly, 17 June 2012 - 06:16 PM.

#12 koree

koree

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 06:35 PM

This blaster is basically a large jolt, so I don't see why it can't be modified to trigger like that. Since the trigger design wasn't changed since the last version I don't see it being that much of a pain.

How is the weight distribution on this beast? Would it be possible to holster it with a small clip or would it require a lanyard or something?

Aiming with the barrel underneath the wrist would be annoying and more difficult. I didn't say it wasn't possible, I just think it would be incredibly impractical. Also, I'd have a priming handle in the way.

Almost the entire weight of the gun lies in the palm of the hand, but it's a little too heavy to just use a clip.

Edit: Also, the Jolt is a small DCIT, DCIT came first. :P

Edited by koree, 17 June 2012 - 06:40 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users