Photo

I Need A Quick And Easy Rf 20 Mod

14 replies to this topic

#1 elosodemuerte

elosodemuerte

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 02:18 PM

I recently bought a RapidFire 20, my first nerf gun, for a town Nerf war. I haven't been too happy with the range it gets, so I talked to a friend who directed me to this site. I'm looking for something a "n00b" can do to a RP 20 with relative ease to increase the distance of the shot. Also, does the RP 20 take Micros or Megas in dart size?
"You know those Germans; if you don't join the party, they come get you."-Peter Griffin

#2 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 02:28 PM

Welcome to NerfHaven!

Unfortunately, there is very little that you can easily do to modify the RF20 and none of it will increase your range. The most common 'easy' modification is to increase the pressure of the air bladder by reinforcing it with heavy rubber bands but this results in a faster rate of fire rather than increased range.

In the not-so-easy category you can increase the range by adding to the spring tension inside the transparent piston chamber. Along with this modification, a couple people have done a barrel replacement on all 20 stock barrels and switched to homemade (stefan) darts. Unfortunately, it's tough to improve on this gun very much because it tends to get quite a bit less reliable when pushed even a little outside its stock performance envelope.

The stock darts that come with the RF20 are known as micro darts.
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#3 Crankymonky

Crankymonky

It's The Dean!

• Members
  • 687 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 02:39 PM

A little...silly cx. When you push this gun, it breaks completely. Vinyl explosions. You should see the insides of my brothers 3 rf20's. Are you guys using modded guns in your wars? Either way, my I recomend the Nite Finder. It is $6, the mods aren't too difficult and ranges upwards at 70-80 ft. Also then, you can use stefans, which are much cheaper than stock darts.

Crankymonky
Tyranny Response Team

#4 elosodemuerte

elosodemuerte

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 02:39 PM

Would buying stefans for an unmodified gun decrease range or accuracy? Also, how does one modify a Nite Finder?

Edited by elosodemuerte, 01 June 2004 - 02:44 PM.

"You know those Germans; if you don't join the party, they come get you."-Peter Griffin

#5 Crankymonky

Crankymonky

It's The Dean!

• Members
  • 687 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 03:10 PM

Generally stefans do not fit in unmodded guns. Also you make your own stefans.

http://www.nerfhq.co...rticle.php?id=1

There are a variety of instructions including those on this site under articles.

http://www.nerfhaven...ags_nitefinder/

You can replace the barrel with brass or cpvc instead of petg.

This is only one way to perform the mod, which is simple enough for a first mod.

Also, the Uruk-hai Crossbow is fairly expensive, but a good primary still in stores-$20. This is also a simple mod, which can be done without any glue! Also the Tech Target Gun can be easily modded. Wow, I feel like I sound like a advertising person from hasbro or Toy Biz...

Crankymonky
Tyranny Response Team

#6 Nerfman2222

Nerfman2222

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 03:15 PM

There is the replacable turret mod that I have just compleated. It allows you to take out the turret and put it back in. If you can get your hands on a extra turret it is verry usefull for realoding purposes.

#7 Crankymonky

Crankymonky

It's The Dean!

• Members
  • 687 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 03:19 PM

Are you talking about a breach? Yes, it is possible to do a breach on a NF. WE have a few like that.

Crankymonky

EDIT: oh, ya. This was a topic on the RF20. You can turret mod the RF20, but increasing range makes this gun very unreliable.

Edited by crankymonky, 01 June 2004 - 03:20 PM.

Tyranny Response Team

#8 nerfspecialforces

nerfspecialforces

• Members
  • 443 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 05:41 PM

Not much you can do to a rf20 :( I'd buy a NF. It was my first gun I ever modded and it gets 83+/- feet. It's has easy mods. Mod it to NerfHavens standards, and also check out the "making a spring plunger better" topic. ^_^

Oh, and welcome to Nerf Haven :)
QUOTE(Arcanis @ Apr 8 2005, 05:02 PM)
When I insert a dick, nothing happens.

Call me NSF
N erf
S pecial
F orces

#9 GeneralPrimevil

GeneralPrimevil

• Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 06:53 PM

Welcom to NH, elosodemuerte. As long as you follow the Code of Conduct, you should have some help with any of your problems, or advice for new ideas, mods, etc. That's just some advice.

When you push this gun, it breaks completely.  Vinyl explosions.

I don't like the sound of that. ALL of the hoses on my RF20 are exposed, and against my arm. Anyhow, you are better off with a NF for a longer range gun. Unless you want to do some extensive replacement of parts on your RF20, like hoses, barrels, bladder, pump, valves (or valve if you get rid of the select fire feature, like I did). Basically you are better off with a NF for range, but keep your stock RF20 for closer range combat. The full autoness (word?) will come in handy when if the situation gets in real close.
"Fear the man with one gun, for he probably knows how to use it."

#10 nerfspecialforces

nerfspecialforces

• Members
  • 443 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 08:27 PM

It's full auto feature, General Primevil, not fully autoness.

So, Just go out and buy a NF, it's a good project to get for noobies(not saying I'm not one) ^_^
QUOTE(Arcanis @ Apr 8 2005, 05:02 PM)
When I insert a dick, nothing happens.

Call me NSF
N erf
S pecial
F orces

#11 Crankymonky

Crankymonky

It's The Dean!

• Members
  • 687 posts

Posted 02 June 2004 - 01:49 PM

Primeval, they arne't explosions, the vinyl might "pop" and tear. I think you'll be fine as long as you don't increase the pressure of the tubes or bladder. This includes but is not limited to: inner tube, squeezing

Crankymonky
Tyranny Response Team

#12 GeneralPrimevil

GeneralPrimevil

• Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 02 June 2004 - 02:33 PM

Unfortunately, I have put a bike tube both inside and outside of the bladder. It is quite hard to pump when the pressure gets up there. I am happy to hear that the tubes don't explode. Anyways, lets not turn the thread into RF20 disasters. It was originally about easy RF20 mods, then about the NF. We've gotten off topic twice. I'm not trying ordering anyone to go back to the original topic, because we've already covered it, and I don't have any kind of power to do that.
"Fear the man with one gun, for he probably knows how to use it."

#13 Crankymonky

Crankymonky

It's The Dean!

• Members
  • 687 posts

Posted 02 June 2004 - 05:09 PM

So, guys. How bout them apples?
Shit, the topic. Tech Target.
Bad Monk(e)y.
Just glad that nothing will be exploding on your arms today.
Crankymonky
Tyranny Response Team

#14 Croc

Croc

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 08:09 PM

If you're really stuck, you can just simply remove the air bladder casing. This allows you to see how much air is in the bladder, so that you know when you're out of air, and when to stop pumping. I just did that today ;) You could also remove the posts on your turret so that you can fire stefans. The RF 20 was mainly for Nerf darts though.
Today is the first day of the rest of your week : Anonymous

#15 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 08:37 PM

The hell... This thread is 2 years old. Let it rest in peace.
The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users