Photo

Reflex IX-1 Modification

13 replies to this topic

#1 Gage

Gage

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 09:06 PM

The Reflex IX-1 has always been my least-favorite out of the three N-Strike miniature blasters, I loved the Secret Strike AS-1 and the Jolt seems really cool. But, as for the Reflex, I just never got to love it for some reason. I bought the Attack Unit when I first got into Nerfing, and I haven't used it in any battles since. I wanted to see what I could do with this blaster, so let's find out.

Posted Image

This is the Reflex, or as it's sometimes known as, the Eliminator. This particular blaster originally fired up to around 20-25 feet, so not very good. I like the blue color scheme better than the yellow.

Posted Image

First, unscrew the cocking handle. There should be three screws, with one being smaller than the others.

Posted Image

Next, unscrew the rest. In total, there are two smaller screws, and eight larger ones. Make sure to hold onto the tactical rail clip so that it doesn't burst out at you.

Posted Image

Focus on this for now. There's no more room to put any more o-rings, so one's all you got.

Posted Image

Take your drill and drill out the back, so that the peg falls off. I could not get the actual air restrictor piece out fully, so it's still in there, but Ill go back in there and get it out later.

Posted Image

You can also unscrew the back of the plunger tube if you want, it's hollow on the inside. If you want to add weight to the blaster, this is the best place to do it.

Posted Image

Also grab a piece of electrical tape and tape over the hole on the side of the barrel, to prevent any air from getting out.

Posted Image

We're done now, so start putting everything back together. Shouldn't be too hard.

Posted Image

And we're finished. I tested it out, and I have only one word. DAMN. I never knew a Reflex had this amount of power in it. It sounds awesome to hear it fire, and I can easily shoot it up to around 40 feet. It outranges my newly-modified Scout and probably the Sharp Shot too. I'm impressed. For the little amount of work done, this is a good payoff. Thanks for reading.

#2 Ozymandias

Ozymandias

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 11:16 PM

You can also switch out the stock spring for a Recon spring.
If you wish to post anything HvZ related, here ya go.

"...if you've ever suffered the effects of a fucking faggot retard overpopulation, you'll understand what devistaiting effects it can have on one's psyche." - Talio

#3 Pause

Pause

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 02:13 AM

You know, you don't have to make a write-up on every blaster you mod...
-Pause-

http://nerfpause.blogspot.com/

Heh.

USER WAS BLAND IN THIS POST

#4 Foam Ninja

Foam Ninja

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 02:47 AM

Forget that Reflex Spring AND that Recon Spring. You can put a 3B Spring in this thing. Iv'e done it, and did a CPVC coupler. I was hitting 65' easy everytime. Wish I never got rid of that little beast.
QUOTE(Soothsayer @ Jul 18 2010, 03:51 PM) View Post

Still haven't beat Foam Ninja in a sword fight

1.The baby would blow up do to being made of pure fail.
2.I GIVE UP! I AM GETTING MY GAS ELSEWHERE!!
-Nerf Mafia

#5 The Manta

The Manta

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:38 AM

Your really pumping out these mods aren't you? It's nice to see a new person contributing something. As for the mod, I would not recommend adding weight to the back of the plunger tube, as it adds mass and makes the PT move slower, resulting in slower air delivery.
Get chance and luck

#6 Cpt Riley

Cpt Riley

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 07:20 AM

This was the first blaster I modded, has quite a kick with a few simple mods.

#7 TED

TED

In Brightest Prawn, in Darkest Shrimp...

• Administrators
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 08:14 AM

I hope your parents stop buying you nerf guns. So I don't have to wade through your never ending swamp of air restrictor removals searching and praying to find new/quality content.

But great job pushing out mods that everyone has been doing for 10 years now.
Star Wars can go fuck itself.

#8 Daniel Beaver

Daniel Beaver

HQRSE CQCK

• Moderators
  • 2,097 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 12:10 PM

I agree.

Gage: you're not "wrong" to be posting these write-ups (they're entirely within guidelines), but you should challenge yourself a bit more.

#9 Gage

Gage

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 12:36 PM

I agree.

Gage: you're not "wrong" to be posting these write-ups (they're entirely within guidelines), but you should challenge yourself a bit more.

It's sort of a matter of access to materials which I don't have. I'm awaiting an order of springs, possibly around monday, which will help, however I don't really know a lot about CPVC and other materials yet. I'd like to do barrel replacements, although I'm worried I might get the wrong size of CPVC, as well as the fact that I would not have anything to cut them with. I'm going to try to get the CPVC soon, so there wont be another write-up until that happens, but I'm planning something significantly bigger and better than my usual mods. Sorry if they've been a little disappointing.

#10 ktcookie

ktcookie

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 09:44 PM

I actually really like Gage's compared to the other ones i have seen for this gun,the pictures are very clean and the description is clear. Out of curiosity how long did it take you to do this mod?

#11 Exo

Exo

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 10:34 PM

It's sort of a matter of access to materials which I don't have. I'm awaiting an order of springs, possibly around monday, which will help, however I don't really know a lot about CPVC and other materials yet. I'd like to do barrel replacements, although I'm worried I might get the wrong size of CPVC, as well as the fact that I would not have anything to cut them with. I'm going to try to get the CPVC soon, so there wont be another write-up until that happens, but I'm planning something significantly bigger and better than my usual mods. Sorry if they've been a little disappointing.

There's only two sizes. Get the smaller one. Take a dart to the store, you'll know right away. Also, it should be beige or light tan, not white like PVC. All you need is a saw and a file. (If you have a dad, no offense, I don't know your family situation) ask your dad if he has a saw and a file. Just cut it as straight as you can, then finish it off with a file. Don't do it with a knife.

#12 Gage

Gage

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 11:01 PM

I actually really like Gage's compared to the other ones i have seen for this gun,the pictures are very clean and the description is clear. Out of curiosity how long did it take you to do this mod?

Thanks! It didn't take too long, although drilling the barrel out was a little lengthy and I eventually gave up on removing the air restrictor plastic piece. If you're experienced at it, probably 15-25 minutes, if you're not very experienced, 30-45. Shouldn't be too difficult though, nothing too challenging.

There's only two sizes. Get the smaller one. Take a dart to the store, you'll know right away. Also, it should be beige or light tan, not white like PVC. All you need is a saw and a file. (If you have a dad, no offense, I don't know your family situation) ask your dad if he has a saw and a file. Just cut it as straight as you can, then finish it off with a file. Don't do it with a knife.

Thanks for the help! I live with my mom, but my mom has most of my dad's supplies, so I will try and search around for the saw and file. Is CPVC usually cheap? If I can't track any down where I live, is there a good website that sells it?

#13 Crater

Crater

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 09:41 PM

There's only two sizes. Get the smaller one. Take a dart to the store, you'll know right away. Also, it should be beige or light tan, not white like PVC.

The 1/2" CPVC I found at Canadian Tire the other day was white. It's Bow brand. It's also the only CPVC I've ever seen, so it might be in the minority. I didn't have foam with me to check the fit, but everyone says CPVC is quite tight, so, Gage, don't be alarmed if it seems too tight. Tight barrels are generally considered good for spring blasters, though FlowGuard Gold might be too tight, especially for low-powered blasters. Also, I don't remember exactly, but I think the stuff I found was about 50ยข/foot.

Edited by Crater, 10 June 2012 - 09:45 PM.

Crater is a combination of a box and a dent in the ground. (Thanks Tangerle)

I'll stand on my head and gargle peanut butter for 70 dollars.

#14 Exo

Exo

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 10:21 PM

Flowguard gold is what I have, and it is very tight on stock darts, but it takes my stefans just fine. At first, I used PVC because I thought that CPVC was too tight, not realizing what was really going on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users