Photo

Foam & plunger tubes

6 replies to this topic

#1 ktcookie

ktcookie

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 09:51 PM

After surfing around the web i finally figured out where to buy some craft foam to cushion the plunger tube. But it is nonadhesive, how do you usually attach that piece of foam onto a plunger tube?

Thanks

#2 Curly

Curly

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 10:03 PM

After surfing around the web i finally figured out where to buy some craft foam to cushion the plunger tube. But it is nonadhesive, how do you usually attach that piece of foam onto a plunger tube?

Thanks

Sand the plunger head and use VERY small amounts of hotglue, giving the glue about 30 seconds to cool before attaching the foam. If it's too hot then the foam will shrivel up and not be as spongy. You should attach the foam to whichever has the most surface area; the plunger head or the tube. In most cases whichever part moves during firing is the one to pad.

#3 Seprest

Seprest

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 11:08 PM

Since you are looking to attach it to the plunger tube, then you must mean you are using a reverse-plunger blaster. Friction should keep it on just fine. The trick for doing this is to cut the foam around the OD of the tube, so it is slightly larger than the inside, then push it flat with a long flathead screwdriver or similar rod.

If you mean to pad a direct plunger blaster, I would attach the foam to the plunger head itself. I find that superglue works better than hot glue for this purpose. I also slightly abrase the plunger head to increase the surface area for bonding. Hot glue is generally too messy to apply (hard to get a very thin even coat, so that all parts of the plunger receive even pressure upon impact with the newly padded head), doesn't work well with the foam (I had hot glue melt through the foam once!), and I have heard cases of the bond failing when used on plunger heads due to the amount of shock they take.

Edited by Seprest, 10 June 2012 - 12:00 AM.

4 - HvZ Games Played

22- Mods completed

#4 andtheherois

andtheherois

• Banned
  • 821 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 03:26 AM

You'll want to use goop to secure your foam to your plunger head. you can hot glue layers together if necessary. Hot glue wont melt craft foam.
The YooToobz
Photobucket

Winning rounds is rewarding, deal with it. We don't play fucking patty cake over here.

#5 NerfNoob10

NerfNoob10

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 04:35 AM

I personally just use a small amount of super glue to attach my foam padding.

#6 RedShot

RedShot

• Members
  • 455 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 08:36 AM

I wipe off the stock lubricant and then give it a nice soapy wash and I use either gorilla super glue or loctite super glue on the craft foam.
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together!
[RedShot]

#7 Defender 7

Defender 7

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 10:06 AM

I have craft foam that's sticky on the bottom but not on the top which doesn't take adhesive, but I would prefer using little amount of super glue to secure it on.
I like bacon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users