3dbbq Barrel Adaption

easy ROF gain for all air guns?

47 replies to this topic

#1 ShortShit

ShortShit

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 04:44 PM

I was just playing around with his design, figuring that you could probably make a variation of the quick-load barrel to put on any air gun. Here's a basic redesign:
Posted Image
the bottom L coupler would just connect to a short peice of 1/2 pvc coming from where the guns origional barrel once was. Comments? *im going to build one tommorrow, slap it on my sm1500, and see how it works. I may also put one inch of brass one step bigger than 9/16th off the end of the 9/16th barrel, so that the darts feed into the back of the 9/16 easier and arent too lose in the 3/4 pvc.*

EDIT: since the image decided it doesnt want to show, just copy the the URL and paste into browser

Edited by ShortShit, 31 May 2004 - 04:47 PM.

~SS

#2 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 04:48 PM

Would you mind explaining really quickly how that works? My brain is fried today and nothing is clicking... A brief explanation would be great, because then I could get started on something like that as well :lol: .

~ompa

#3 ShortShit

ShortShit

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 04:51 PM

well the shooting of it works like so:
http://www.nt3.idv.tw/data/bs4.jpg
and to see how the air works to shoot it, just watch 3DBBQ's flash movie:
http://www.nt3.idv.t...ach/bs3/bs3.htm

it's just a slightly edited and simplified version of his barrel, which could easily be put on your SM1500 or any air gun of that sorts easily, dramatically increasing your ROF. Say, on a 1500, this barrel would rest ontop of the gun, like so:
http://www.geocities...Mgoodbarrel.bmp

Edited by ShortShit, 31 May 2004 - 04:58 PM.

~SS

#4 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 04:53 PM

Wait... is this thing designed to shoot one at a time or all at once? Because I thought it was supposed to shoot one at a time, which is what is confusing me. If it's all of them, I understand how it would work.

~ompa

#5 ShortShit

ShortShit

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 05:00 PM

one at a time, because there is space between the darts and the 3/4ths PVC< the air has only the brass barrel to go out of, but by tilting the gun down, one dart gets lodged toward the back of the brass barrel, so the air pressure shoots it out. Then you procceed to tilt the gun down again, getting another dart at the back of the barrel, pump, the air ignore all the free floating darts in the 3/4ths and shoots out the dart at the back of the brass, because that is the only way the air can escape. Does that explain it any better?
~SS

#6 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 05:32 PM

Yeah it does. Thanks alot, maybe I'll try it...

~ompa

#7 Formerly Sane

Formerly Sane

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 05:48 PM

When you tip the gun forward, I'm not sure if the dart would go directly into the barrel every time. If you fix that, then it should work fine.

Edited by Formerly Sane, 31 May 2004 - 05:50 PM.

NERF: www.CYCLONENERF.netfirms.com
FLASH: www.thinkhappy.netfirms.com
BAND: www.skwalrock.com

#8 ShortShit

ShortShit

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 06:27 PM

I may also put one inch of brass one step bigger than 9/16th off the end of the 9/16th barrel, so that the darts feed into the back of the 9/16 easier and arent too lose in the 3/4 pvc.*

quoting myself!
~SS

#9 nerfspecialforces

nerfspecialforces

• Members
  • 443 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 06:19 PM

Ok, if you made it so the darts waiting to be fired were in a smaller holding area, the pressure would be higher 'cause the whole area has to pressurize before the dart being fired is pushed. This is why some guns don't shoot as far with long barrels than with short barrles. Basiclly, The bigger the area the gun has to pressurize, the more more pressure it uses to shoot the dart. (But a long barrel makes the gun more accurate.) A gun releases pressure fast(faster dart) when it has alot of pressure and slower(slow dart) when it has used pressure.

P.S. It probable won't really help, I was just bored and wanted to post ^_^ .
QUOTE(Arcanis @ Apr 8 2005, 05:02 PM)
When I insert a dick, nothing happens.

Call me NSF
N erf
S pecial
F orces

#10 ShortShit

ShortShit

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 07:55 PM

I see what your saying... but the barrel does indeed work without fault.
~SS

#11 earl the bunny

earl the bunny

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 02 June 2004 - 05:42 PM

I have succesfully made 3DBBQ's blue streak 4 (pic Here) and his barrel system actually works. I have already started a semi-auto pistal (I thought of the same design as you except an acrylic barrel instead of brass) with a backpack and have plans for an automatic turret.

#12 ShortShit

ShortShit

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 02 June 2004 - 08:21 PM

cool, how many shots does your blue streak hold in its chambeR?
~SS

#13 earl the bunny

earl the bunny

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 02 June 2004 - 08:31 PM

It only holds 3 because if I made it 4 the air tank would be huge.

In case you were woundering, the endcap on the top is missing because I needed to use it for another gun. It will get replaced soon

#14 3DBBQ

3DBBQ

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 02:14 AM

wow ! nice job !

#15 ShortShit

ShortShit

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 05:53 PM

thats the only thing I worry about. If one uses an air powered nerf gun, most of which a very small air output, with a huge barrel setup holding 4+ darts, it may not shoot properly because there isnt enough air to get through the interacit system. I'm gonna make a few different sizes to see where too much is too much.
~SS

#16 ShortShit

ShortShit

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 09:09 PM

Well i succeeded! I slapped a slightly smaller version of 3DBBQ's bluestreak4 barrel onto a sm1500, making room for a 3 dart 'clip' of sorts. works like a CHARM. (i used petg instead of brass because the backer rod i just got was kinda on the smaller side and petg holds it better. I'de just like to say ive lost NO range, its just like having a single barreled 1500, with 3 shots. It took me a little experimenting untill i mastered the proper technique of sliding the next dart into the ready position. (IE pointing the gun down with the correct amount of force to lodge thr dart in the inner barrel, while coming up with less force so's not to send the dart back into the outer barrel. Anyway, works great and I highly recommend it if you for some reason dont want to mod your AT300... anyway, YAY... ONLY fault is that every once in a while you think you've loaded a dart into the inner barrel when you really havnt, so you fire and nothing happens. but I hope to workout all the kinks!

Edited by ShortShit, 16 June 2004 - 09:11 PM.

~SS

#17 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 10:48 PM

Nice.

I look forward to examining and possibly disecting this gun on Saturday.
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#18 rawray7

rawray7

• Members
  • 549 posts

Posted 20 June 2004 - 07:48 PM

zack, can you post some pictures of this on this site (ie, send them to cxwq)? i'm going to try to make it, but i'm confused as to why adding more darts changes the air flow that the first dart would receive.
You, nerfboi, are the suckest gun. -neonerfer

#19 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 20 June 2004 - 07:59 PM

Adding more darts would mean that the dart chamber would be bigger, which would mean more air would be required to fill it and force the dart out. That's my guess.

~ompa

#20 3DBBQ

3DBBQ

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 20 June 2004 - 09:12 PM

I recently tested a bigger air with this kind of barrel, obtained some conclusions, the conclusion was: This may let him high speed fire, like Power the clip
* ammunition must use Antijam soft dart

Certainly this is successful, I at present am changing him to design me to want to manufacture with Hose Handle consult everybody, how lets pvc link Hose Handle?

Edited by 3DBBQ, 20 June 2004 - 09:16 PM.

#21 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 20 June 2004 - 09:41 PM

Whoa wait... you mean to tell me you basically have a high-range, high-ROF gun if you do this with a large airtank... Oh man... you gotta let us know how this turns out! My best guess is you epoxy the 1inch connector directly onto the hose handle.

~ompa

#22 Vintage

Vintage

• Members
  • 462 posts

Posted 20 June 2004 - 10:17 PM

I can use 3/4" threaded male adapters to attach to the bottom of the handle, but for some reason, 3/4" female adapters don't work so well on the output end of the nozzle.

I had no problem with my previous attempt, so maybe it's just the fault of the cheaper hose nozzle.

~Vintage
You can get much further with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone
~Al Capone

#23 3DBBQ

3DBBQ

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 21 June 2004 - 03:04 AM

Posted Image
(Vintage's p90)
how 2 link Hose Handle's head?

Edited by 3DBBQ, 21 June 2004 - 03:06 AM.

#24 xedice

xedice

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 21 June 2004 - 06:01 AM

I would imagine you just jam it in the coupler, if it is too big, sand the end off until it fits. Then goop the seal so that it's air tight. Although, I am not sure if that is exactly what Vintage did.
Shmokin' weed, Shmokin' wizz
Doin' coke, drinkin' beers, Drinkin' beers beers beers
Rollin' fatties, Smokin' blunts
Who smokes the blunts? We smoke the blunts
-Jay

#25 rawray7

rawray7

• Members
  • 549 posts

Posted 21 June 2004 - 10:46 AM

Adding more darts would mean that the dart chamber would be bigger, which would mean more air would be required to fill it and force the dart out. That's my guess.

~ompa

hrm, i think i understand that now...basically, the fact that the holding area for your darts is bigger means a drop in the pressure the 'dart to be fired' recieves. i'm sure there is a way to fix this problem...when i build one i'll look at it.
You, nerfboi, are the suckest gun. -neonerfer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users