First homemade

Have to start somewhere

5 replies to this topic

#1 M4573R

M4573R

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:51 PM

I've always want to make some Nerf guns, and I finally decided it was time. This was also an awesome excuse to start buying my own tools. I may not have lurked enough, so let me know if I need to fix any terminology or vague areas.

Goal: Make the simplest SNAP possible with things I can get from Home Depot. I didn't want to make any overly-custom parts. I wanted to learn about making effective plungers and reproducible methods of construction.

The plunger:
I used a piece of 3/4" PVC for the plunger rod because 3/4" fittings fit near-perfectly inside 1 1/4". I first tried a neoprene washer for my plunger. I couldn't get one the right size and ended up cutting one down, but that just caused uneven edges. There was also too much friction to make it viable. (I need to go back and try this again now that I have white lithium grease, vaseline didn't work for beans). I ended up using the method of sandwiching an o-ring with pieces of pvc and using electrical tape to get the right diameter. This ended up working well. The draw is exactly 6".

The catch:
I simply used a another fitting in order to get the edge I needed for the catch. I don't need a ramp because my trigger pin is rounded (more later)
Posted Image

The trigger:
I used a clothespin trigger because it seems to be the simplest, fool-proof option. Instead of a nail, I used a shelf peg because it is rounded on one side, and flat on the other; Perfect for letting the plunger move smoothly one direction, and catch in the other. It was difficult getting such a large hole drilled in a clothespin, and the force of pressure-fitting the peg caused it to crack. I reinforced it with thread and hot glue, which has been holding. On my second attempt, I drilled the hole slightly too big, and put hot glue in the hole before inserting the peg. This seems to hold much much better (plus no splitting)

Posted Image

Posted Image

The Barrel:
The barrel is a reduction from 1 1/4" PVC down to 1/2" CPVC. The CPVC couple pressure fit nicely inside the 1/2" reducer.
Posted Image

The spring:
Unfortunately, the only viable option at my Home Depot was an extension spring. This is obviously not a good option considering the dead-space and constant impacts deforming the spring. It was also a struggle to get around an eye-bolt. I used an 18lb spring from this.

Posted Image

Final product:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Summary:
Tools used: Drill, Dremel, PVC cutter.
Relative difficulty: 0.5. The only reason this isn't a zero is because I had to use the dremel to make a big enough hole in the end cap for the 3/4" plunger rod to move through. I only had to glue 1 part because it had a loose fit. I didn't bother figuring out a handle or proper trigger because this is honestly a throw-away piece.
Range: ~35 ft flat. Nothing to write home about.
Cost: Obviously for certain parts, I had to buy extra. From nothing I'd say it was less than 20 dollars. (more expensive for me since I bought a drill and a dremel :D)
What I learned: O-rings were a simpler, easier method for getting a good seal on the plunger than a neoprene washer. (I probably did it wrong the first time, though). PVC plunger rods are heavy, and cause a lot of power loss. Shelf pegs worked awesome for the trigger, it's very smooth.

I've already made a smaller, better version which I'll do a write-up on next.

Edited by M4573R, 28 April 2012 - 04:59 PM.

#2 Dremz3

Dremz3

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 12:32 PM

I personally would not use an extension spring. Even though you are just trying to use supplies from home depot, I would go ahead and buy a [k26] from McMaster. But great job on what you made! As far as the neoprene washers, I cut mine just barely around the edges with an xacto knife. However, I am very careful to make it perfect so I can get a 100% seal.

Edited by Dremz3, 28 April 2012 - 12:36 PM.

#3 Buffdaddy

Buffdaddy

Do not buy from this member

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 824 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 03:19 PM

Correction: 3/4" fittings go neatly inside 1 1/4" PVC.

Also, Extension springs aren't always a bad thing; Carbon has experimented with them, and largish blasters like the Ultimator or XXL Bazooka use them. It just requires more ingenuity.

Finally, at HD I know there's a 4-spring pack, two of which work wonders in reinforced NFs, or BBBs. Perhaps you should grab that for your next attempt at a homemade that's easy to get all the parts for assembly!

#4 M4573R

M4573R

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 04:58 PM

Correction: 3/4" fittings go neatly inside 1 1/4" PVC.

Also, Extension springs aren't always a bad thing; Carbon has experimented with them, and largish blasters like the Ultimator or XXL Bazooka use them. It just requires more ingenuity.

Finally, at HD I know there's a 4-spring pack, two of which work wonders in reinforced NFs, or BBBs. Perhaps you should grab that for your next attempt at a homemade that's easy to get all the parts for assembly!

I'll have to check back to see if they got more springs in. Though I went to Ace and they had a wonderful selection of washers, o-rings, and springs. I got my parts for my second homemade there :D

#5 Crusher9051

Crusher9051

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 09:17 PM

Wow this look awesome I tried to make a snap but i had the weakest springs ever and and couldent seal so it resulted in broken parts of pvc.
Zip: 54751

#6 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 11:08 AM

Nicely done all the way around for a first build. Using the shelf pegs for your catch is nice...I'm all about using as many off-the-shelf parts as possible. Also, always good to see an extension spring blaster. The advantages are huge: reduced friction, easy to build around for size, and increased safety...as you found, the blaster wants to pull itself together, instead of blowing apart.

As far as your problems with the neoprene washers: you shouldn't need to cut them at all, but they absolutely need lubrication before they'll even move. Vaseline and white lithium grease are also a bit thick for that type of seal...not to mention possibly degrading your rubber over time. Something lighter like silicone spray or non-petroleum based gun oil work well.
Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users