Snapbow MK.V

11 replies to this topic

#1 Naturalman7

Naturalman7

• Contributors
  • 158 posts
  • State:Idaho

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:51 PM

First off, I know that SNAP's are supposed to be easy, "fool proof" blasters, but for some reason I'm having some trouble making one. I can't seem to get it to seal. I put my hand on the output and the plunger hardly slows down at all. The thing that is most confusing is that the first SNAP I made worked perfectly until the front end broke and sent shards of pvc and the bushing with barrel flying. After it broke, I attempted to make a second one with the same materials, but I can't get it to work. I'm using 1-1/4" PVC and the normal PH that is in the write-up (Snapbow Mk. V, Revised). Any help is appreciated.

I will upload more pictures of the previous and current ones in a few days when I have access to a good camera.

Some more specs that I thought could help would be that my 1-1/4" pvc has and ID of 1.5" and most has an ID of 1.3". However, that still does not explain why my first one worked and second did not, I used the same pipe for both. Also, I think my second PH is even more centered than my first.

Reducer Bushing:
I am a bit OCD and a perfectionist when it comes to somethings, on that note, I measured the ID of the PC with my digital caliber and wrapped the 1"x1/2" bushing in electrical tape until it was satisfactory in OD. I then applyed some goop to it and set it inside, waited for it to dry, added three #6x3/8" screws to hold it in place. After all of that, I added hot glue all around the bushing and made sure it sealed well. Also, the previous screws would protrude from the bushing and into the PC where the wingnut would hit them and get bent up and ruined. Does this normally happen?

Posted Image

Daniel Beaver: I was actually going to post both of those. As well as the front bushings. I am using Gunk plumber's Silicone Grease Scroll down to post #38. I was thinking about posting a picture of the lubricants I have access to as well becuase that's one thing I'm not sure about. Weird thing still is, it's the same stuff I used on my first SNAP and it seemed to work just fine.

Also, something seems wrong with my PVC or something.
Posted Image

And for the picture of the PH:
Posted Image

Picture of lubricants. Please help me figure out which one is the best to use. I've been using this for the most part, and seem to have okay results. When I get back from Lowes sometime, I'll take a picture of all the lubricants they have.
This is what I've been using.
Posted Image
Are these any better/good?
Posted Image
Posted Image

This is the pipe I have.
Posted Image

Edited by Naturalman7, 02 May 2012 - 05:26 PM.

#2 Nerfomania

Nerfomania

• Members
  • 207 posts
  • State:Georgia

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:22 PM

This writeup (yes it is made by me and is a tad incomplete at the moment): http://www.nerfrevol....php?f=9&t=3927

Shows how to make a very nice superlative PH. As compared to Rork's original it is self-centering thus giving you more of an ability to get a good seal.

Other than that, there is some variance in PVC ID, only the OD is regulated. That could be a part of the reason why the seal is crap. Either that or add more lube, change out/tighten the washers.

Good luck.

Edited by _Nerfomania_, 19 April 2012 - 07:23 PM.

20:45 Talio I'll have the talk with you
20:45 Talio penis in vagina
20:45 Talio fin

#3 mak

mak

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:45 PM

Also make sure that the reducer bushing is air tight.
Pm me if if you hove a supermaxx1000 for sale.

#4 Daniel Beaver

Daniel Beaver

HQRSE CQCK

• Moderators
  • 2,074 posts
  • NerfHaven Subscription Supporter
  • State:Minnesota

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:13 PM

Could you post two things:
1) A picture of your plunger head
2) A picture of your plunger head within the plunger tube

What I suspect is happening is that the rubber washers is buckling, and therefore not forming a good seal. That's usually an issue of poor lubrication - what are you using?

#5 Blue

Blue

• Members
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:53 AM

I would guess that the rubber washers have torn if you haven't taken it apart already. Try mineral oil next time you lube it too, it's a lot thinner than silicone grease.

#6 Pointman9

Pointman9

• Members
  • 131 posts
  • State:Ohio

Posted 20 April 2012 - 08:15 PM

If you are having trouble with washer seals, McMaster has a skirt that works perfectly in 1.25 PVC. I can post up a picture of my (probably unoriginal) SNAP skirt PH if you would like. Part number 9562K46.
There is no such thing as overkill. There is only cost efficiency.

#7 Swatsonia

Swatsonia

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:51 PM

Funnily enough, if you can find a bathplug the same ID as your PVC, these work exactly the same as skirt seals, and are incredibly easy to work with. This has been a rather popular trend in Australia recently.

#8 Naturalman7

Naturalman7

• Contributors
  • 158 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 07:39 AM

Thanks everyone for the feedback, and I apologize for not responding for so long. I've been busy with stuff and out of town. I wanted to stick to washer and try to get them to work because of the ease of finding them. I may try other seals just for the fun, but would like to keep it very easy and simple. Also, I've added pictures to the OP.

#9 shardbearer

shardbearer

• Members
  • 177 posts
  • State:California
  • u/ahalekelly on Reddit

Posted 02 May 2012 - 04:53 PM

You're not using thinwall (class 200) psi are you? Cause that would explain the plunger tube breaking and the bad seal. Check the pressure rating on the pipe. It should be 370 PSI for 1 1/4" pipe, but class 200 is only 200 psi.

#10 snakerbot

snakerbot

Maker of Things

• Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:07 PM

Yeah, that looks like thinwall. I don't know why your first snap worked well with it if this one doesn't, but I'd check anyway.

#11 Naturalman7

Naturalman7

• Contributors
  • 158 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:19 PM

I'm not sure what the ratings I have available to me (until I go back to Lowes and check), but I also uploaded pictures of my lubricant(s) and the sections of the pipe that I have and what it says.

Edited by Naturalman7, 02 May 2012 - 05:27 PM.

#12 Nerfomania

Nerfomania

• Members
  • 207 posts
  • State:Georgia

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:30 PM

Yea that is definitely a thinwall pipe. You need to get some Sch40 pipe (pretty much anywhere that sells pipe should have it). it has much thicker walls than what you are using.

Problem should be solved after that.
20:45 Talio I'll have the talk with you
20:45 Talio penis in vagina
20:45 Talio fin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users