Posted 25 May 2012 - 05:07 PM

I might be there.
Clan A.D.D

#102 venom213

venom213

• Validating
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 07:34 PM

Stopped at Culvers in the Wisconsin Dells. Velveeta, Atomatron, and I are well on our way to glory!

Posted Image

Edited by venom213, 25 May 2012 - 07:34 PM.

#103 BOSS9

BOSS9

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 08:23 PM

Stopped at Culvers in the Wisconsin Dells. Velveeta, Atomatron, and I are well on our way to glory!

Ugh, so jealous. Maybe next year.

Edited by BOSS9, 25 May 2012 - 08:24 PM.

#104 KaneTheMediocre

KaneTheMediocre

Belligerent Asshole

• Members
  • 613 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 04:41 AM

Kane asked me to get food for people last weekend so I ordered two 3 foot long sandwiches from subway. I think they were one half ham and half turkey and the other is italian BMT.

You win the war. I've got some lemonade, which will probably be replaced with water as it is emptied.

Does anyone know where I could get a rice paddy hat or comically oversize sombrero on short notice?
RAINBOW CLAN FTW
I'm Purple

My Half-Baked MHA Site

#105 snickers

snickers

• Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 06:53 AM

If you need a sombrero, try the flea market.

Edited by snickers, 26 May 2012 - 06:53 AM.

#106 SomethingNerfey

SomethingNerfey

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 08:22 AM

See you guys in a little bit.

#107 BabyGandhi

BabyGandhi

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 08:36 AM

We're on the way.

#108 SomethingNerfey

SomethingNerfey

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 05:49 PM

That war was insane, yo. I got lots of good stuff and met some pretty cool people.

#109 BabyGandhi

BabyGandhi

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 08:46 PM

Two things:

1.) My guest, Mak, fell asleep in the car and woke up and immediately said "Those HAMPs were awesome!" I think you guys made quite the impression on him.

2.) Apparently I look a little younger than I actually am. In all actuality a more accurate name for me would be Baby-Making-Gandhi [See Figure 1.]
I'm an old man.

Posted Image

Anyways, great war guys. I had a lot of fun.

#110 Ambience 327

Ambience 327

• Members
  • 561 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 12:58 PM

Put a shirt on young whipper-snapper... :P

Great war! Thanks to everyone who showed up and made it such a great time. It was cool seeing so many familiar faces (U3, Kane, Carbon, Beaver, Cheerios, Demonlord and many others I am sure I am forgetting), and also great meeting some new people in person (Louie, SonReeceJohnson and the LGLF to name a few). I particularly enjoyed the very broad spectrum of gear on the field, with so many different styles of homemades, some fantastic mods, and even a few stock or near-stock blasters on the field (the guy who kept dual-wielding the stock stampedes was great - and man was he useful on defense!).
Foam in the Fort IV
The fourth exciting Nerf War in Fort Wayne, IN.

#111 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 01:42 PM

Recappin' time!

• Location, location, location! Thanks to Cheerios for tracking down a field we can use, and to the U3 for making sure dart recovery could actually happen. Bonus: it was nice not having to worry about Tree Cops shutting us down.
• Supa Wind. It was like having a third team on the field at all times.
• Getting to the war, finding that one of my spray cans of sunscreen had the cap pop off, and had been spraying in my loadout bag for the two hour trip down. It was pooled in the bottom. Fun fact: spray sunscreen dissolves Nerf paint.
• A great mix of blasters. I don't think I've ever seen that many stock darts littering the ground at a midwest war.
• So many great nerfers on the field at the same time.
• Meeting the LGLF. Now I really want to make it out to an east coast war. You guys rock.
• Nerfing with Ambience327 and SonReese. Old guys represent!
• Having spectators was amusing.
• The SNAP/Rev suffering a catastrophic (but ultimately unsurprising) failure. It'll be back...it's officially my favorite blaster.
• Louiec3's pump action homemade. That thing is beautiful.
• Beaver's PAC. That thing was both highly effective, and taller than some of the nerfers in attendance.
• Trying to pick JLego 4 times in a row, after being told he was already picked.
• The folks who brought swords to a gunfight added a different element to the games. It worked well.
• Bleeding all over one of Kane's HAMPs.
• Actually using a HAMP. If I wasn't so cashed in by that point of the day, I would have kept using it, but so much reloading was...tiring.
• Enough darts on the ground that reloading was never an issue.
• Hanging with the LGLF, the Minnesota crew, and the U3 afterwards.
• "Clever girl!"

Way more. I'll add them as I think of them.

Hopefully some pictures will make their way here...I didn't get to take any.

I'm an old man.

I respectfully lay claim to that title.
Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#112 Ice Nine

Ice Nine

Prince Dangus

• Administrators
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 01:45 PM

Yesterday was a truly quality war. There are thirty-four people in the group photos, and I can remember at least two people who aren't included in it; definitely the biggest Chicago war to date.

The weather was pretty cooperate overall (today is way hotter and even more humid), even if the wind did affect gameplay pretty hard. People weren't being difficult, people generally followed the rules (and infractions were minor when they occurred), Cheerios and his family pulled together an excellent lunch, and it seemed like everyone had a great time.

I'd like to extend a special thanks to the LGLF for putting everything in their lives on hold and taking a super road trip to Bumfuck, Illinois, because holy balls it was nice to have them around.

Recap time, yo.

• Beaver putting together a gun the night before the war, and having not only break only a little bit, but be an absolute monster on the field. I want to make one.
  • Sceptor v. Sceptor, except for the first time.
  • Maximizer didn't explode. That's always a positive.
  • Meeting a ton of new people, and seeing a bunch of people I hadn't seen in a while. (Scoggins! Super glad you made it!)
  • Watching six feet of sandwich get demolished in fifteen minutes.
  • Paul, Master of Shields.
  • Kane, Cheerios, and I spending ten hours clearing field... That didn't get used today.
  • The return of Ryan's +bow, shooting as many lasers as always.
  • Reece's crazy Manta'd-out AT3K shell thing.
  • Chicago: Home of low-effort Nerfing and moseying, not running, trains.
  • Minnesota crew back down here. Venom, Reece, great to meet you two for the first time. Paul, Velveeta, great to see you guys again.
  • LGLF highlights: Meeting my friend, the Dean! Gears! Jax! Langley! Hotel room! Insufficient bedding/bathroom facilities! Langley brought me a chocolate bar that had turned to liquid from two states away because he promised it to me while he was drunk!
  • Ryan and I made all our darts the night before the war. All of them.
  • Little kids make a.) great objective-getters, and b.) incredibly hard-to-hit targets. Always worth it on any team.
  • Super wide range of guns on field. Hoppered homemades, crazy mods, stock guns, melee, shields, darts flying everywhere; the best. Great variety.
  • Cheerios is the best and everyone should know that.
  • Carbon: The coolest person ever? Maybe. Highly competitive for that position.

I have more photos and a ton of video I need to sort though, although I will definitely just lazily post up the raw footage at some point. Here's just a taste.

(Full size, uncropped group photo available here: http://img837.images...pphotowhole.jpg)

Posted Image

Here are two where Carbon's and Paul's heads are less obscured, and Kane no longer looks like he has somehow been incapacitated.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Lawn Gnome Liberation Front:

Posted Image

UNHOLY THREE:
"DUPLUM SCRTA, DUPLUM QUAESTIONES."

Posted Image

Edited by Ice Nine, 27 May 2012 - 02:01 PM.

Unholy Three: DUPLUM SCRTA, DUPLUM PROBLEMA (2009)

But Zeke guns tend to be like proofs by contradiction

Theoretically solid but actually non-constructive

Rnbw Cln

#113 Evilbob

Evilbob

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 02:50 PM

It was a good war. i was glad I could make it.
Clan A.D.D

#114 RFox

RFox

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 06:14 PM

Had a great time at the war. All those great home made guns and inviting ppl were awsome! Expect to see me and my bag of stock stampedes again! Lol. Great first experience.

#115 VelveetaAvenger

VelveetaAvenger

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 07:29 PM

WOAH!

I had a great time, definitely worth the drive out. I think my favorite part of the day was the second round of carpe. After getting wiped the first round it was so satisfying to make a comeback and steal all the balls for the second round. I don't know exactly what was wonky about the field, but that one side didn't really stand a chance.

I kind of wish I still had a good mega shooting blaster, it would have been really helpful in all that wind. But the wind was helpful for keeping the gnats away, so it wasn't all bad. Oh yeah, we should have played a multi-team game or two, those are usually fun when you've got a big group.

Our road trip was pretty Effeminate, filled with flying machines, sheep, and intense roundtable discussions on a film with the passion of Tennessee Williams. I think Venom has some videos (but I have all his darts!) so look forward to that!

Nice to meet some new guys and say hello again to everyone I met last year. Hope we'll be able to make it out again soon!

I was told many times that I drive like an old man!
"I never saw Beastmaster, I just wanted to be cool..."

#116 louiec3

louiec3

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 09:28 PM

No, I said you drive like a puss, not an old man.

Seriously, country road speed limits are just recommendations.

This was well worth the drive. I just wish I could modify my body, so I never get heat stroke.

+my doomslayer preformed amazingly, and it had +1 to ergonomics from the mega awesome stock.
++ MY cobbled together Spaz pump action worked just as well as my doomslayer, but weighed a lot less.
+Dart recovery was good.
+Rubber chicken as a melee weapon.
+ I made 5 sandwiches and none made it home.
-heat stroke blows
-No regular choco tacos

#117 Ambience 327

Ambience 327

• Members
  • 561 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 10:32 PM

Now now, me and BabyG can both claim to be "an old man", but you get to claim to be "the old man". :D

On the photo front - the guy who brought the two young boys was kind enough to email me thirty of the photos that he took throughout the day, which I have added to my photobucket account. Below are a few of them, but the rest can be found by clicking right here

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Ambience 327, 28 May 2012 - 07:39 AM.

Foam in the Fort IV
The fourth exciting Nerf War in Fort Wayne, IN.

#118 Ice Nine

Ice Nine

Prince Dangus

• Administrators
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 06:54 PM

First video is uploaded. Recorded on a Flip so be sure to look it in pretty HD. The second video is uploading, I'll post it some other time, and I have a sheet of "highlight moments" to make an actual, real war video out of this, because I kind of feel like trying for once.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfS8iGREt7k

Also, I've wanted to do this for a while, so here's an annotated group photo (full size at: http://img341.images...towholecopy.jpg) and if you can identify the people I haven't already, post it here or PM me.

Posted Image

• AcePilotZero (aka Scoggins)
  • Ambience 327
  • SomethingNerfy
  • Daniel Beaver
  • Scoggins's Guest
  • Pat (Kane's friend)
  • snickers
  • louiec3
  • Ambience's guest Corbin
  • SonReeceSonJensen
  • venom213
  • Baker
  • Carbon
  • cheerios
  • atomatron
  • Crankymonky
  • VelveetaAvenger
  • Gears
  • JLego
  • KaneTheMediocre
  • Langley
  • BabyGandhi
  • Ice Nine
  • Ryan201821
  • Zorn's Lemma
  • Ambience's nephew Brendan
Not pictured: Demon Lord, Demon Lord's friend, RFox and crew, BabyGandhi's guest named Mak. Again, PM me to fill this out better.

Edited by Ice Nine, 30 May 2012 - 11:50 PM.

Unholy Three: DUPLUM SCRTA, DUPLUM PROBLEMA (2009)

But Zeke guns tend to be like proofs by contradiction

Theoretically solid but actually non-constructive

Rnbw Cln

#119 Ryan201821

Ryan201821

Prince Edward

• Contributors
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 01:38 PM

Awesome war guys, thanks to everyone who came out. I think we represented 8 different states and one territory. Special thanks to Cheerios and his parents for being awesome, helping out with lunch, getting the war location prepped and storing our mobstacles. Couldn't do it without these guys. Big thanks to Zeke and Kane for mowing and cleaning the location while I was gone. I'd also like to thank all the out of town people for making this war so much fun. We really didn't have much of a local croud, but you guys made sure this war was kickass.

Things I liked and didn't
+Grass was super short, made dart recovery easy
+Spending a weekend with the LGLF, you guys are awesome. Wish we could do this more often. You guys are welcome back to the cancer shack anytime.
+Set up and takedown wasn't too bad, thanks to all the people who helped us
+MN crew making it down again this year, even though they left Stark. Hope I see you guys for Spano
+Beaver's gun was ridiculous, and he's awesome
+Carbon running trains with his Snap 9
+Ambience and his crew, always glad when you guys can make it and meeting BabyGandhi
+Our dick shirts were awesome, many compliments
+Zeke and I being super darts bitches. We make more darts than anyone
+Great mix of blasters and variety on the field. Made it a lot of fun and interesting
+Everyone from all ages, it was cool to see
-Wind. It sucked all day, but I did have fun curving shots into people. Nothing you can really do about it, especially when it shifts mid game.
+Lots of great nerfers in attendance. Made balancing teams a little harder especially because you had no idea if the person you were picking was going to try that round, hehe.
-Teams were hard to balance. They always are, and I still would like a better way of picking teams. Wind didn't make it an easier
-Mobstacles blowing over. We're getting stakes, promise.
-Lack of cover. If the Mn guys brought down mobstacles it would have been perfect, but they didn't and we didn't have enough cover. Would have liked to use more field too.
+Super party to wrap up the weekend.

Again, thanks to everyone who showed, hopefully we can make the next one better.

#120 snickers

snickers

• Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 03:00 PM

I'm number 9 with the white glasses.

+Great dart recovery
+Met a bunch of people
+Sold and traded a lot of guns.
+Rainbowclan
+Meeting the LGLF, great group of guys.
+Lots of war time.
+Great lunch thanks to cheerios.
-wind
-heat

Great war. I can't wait to go to the next one!

Edited by snickers, 29 May 2012 - 03:14 PM.

#121 SomethingNerfey

SomethingNerfey

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 03:12 PM

I could be number 3, bchamp wasn't there. I have the white and red 3k.

#122 Langley

Langley

LGLF - Since 2002

• Administrators
  • 2,997 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 03:54 PM

if you can identify the people I haven't already, post it here or PM me.

I'm 33.

I'm sure we'll have a more detailed reaction writeup on the LGLF blog in a couple of weeks, but right now I'm still decompressing. For me, the event only really ended about 8 hours ago, and then I got to find out what the forums look like after all the moderators are tied up at the same war over a holiday weekend, so it might be a little while. In the meantime, thanks again to Ryan for putting us up, and the Unholy Rainbow Chodestraveganza for hosting an awesome war. It was great getting to finally meet some of the people I've been talking to on the Haven for years, and getting to see the U3 again. The war was well worth the 1600 miles of driving.

You can poop in my toilet anytime champ.

2016 Nerf War Schedule
Bless you, my son. Now recite 3 New Members Guides and 5 Code of Conducts for your sins.

#123 Crankymonky

Crankymonky

It's The Dean!

• Members
  • 687 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:59 PM

I'm 33.

You're number 23, don't worry, you were identified.

Got back to DC this evening, I had a great time at the war, thanks so much for putting together the war Cheerios, Ice9, Ryan, Kane, and Zorn. It was great to meet all the midwest Nerfers. It was absolutely great to finally meet Carbon, Ice9, and Venom and I had a blast hanging out with everyone. Cheerios, it was great to meet you and some of your family. I'd like to thank your family for organizing lunch, it ensured that we minimized lost time from lunch.

I really liked the objective based gameplay and look forward to incorporating it in a larger scale here in Washington DC. It was also a ton of fun to use a shield.

I hope everyone enjoyed nerfing with the LGLF, I know we loved coming out to the midwest.

Total Distance traveled: 2142 miles.
Tyranny Response Team

#124 Daniel Beaver

Daniel Beaver

HQRSE CQCK

• Moderators
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 03:07 PM

I just rolled into my driveway. Total distance traveled: 4950 miles. woo

I'll post a recap and pictures later tonight.

#125 SomethingNerfey

SomethingNerfey

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 03:11 PM

My guest was number 24, inbetween BabyGandhi and Kane. He is wearing the Average Joes shirt.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users