Photo

Nerf Spectre Plunger Reinforcement

11 replies to this topic

#1 3missary

3missary

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:37 PM

Hey guys, I've been searching far and wide to find a fix, but I stumbled across a problem on the spectre. I use an OMW 2xstock spring and the tension causes the plunger tube to crack, right at the line where the catch catches the plunger tube. Im probably going to get flamed for not having pics and stuff but I already replaced my spectre. I was really wondering, have any of you guys found a fix for this? Its consistantly happened to me with three spectres spectre. I was contemplating using epoxy putty but the room is a little tight and I want to fish for solutions

#2 hamoidar

hamoidar

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 04:00 PM

You could use super glue, or better yet: melt the edges back together. I use a wood-burning tool when I weld plastics. You could also use some all purpose solvent.(avalible at lowes) But the best fix of all; use the stock spring! :)
NerfHaven > Your control panel > Profile > Change Signature > Inserts dumb sig > What! No pictures! > Inserts next best thing: http://nerfhaven.com...howuser=114052' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Best thing on Nerfhaven!

#3 ShaNayNay

ShaNayNay

• Members
  • 254 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 04:33 PM

Yeah dude, did it ever occur to you after the first or second broke that maybe you should stick to jst the stock, there are a ton of ways to get more power out out a gun rather than using a bigger spring.

New Jersey is fuckin weird

#4 Colonel Zach

Colonel Zach

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:19 PM

Crazy glue fixed my longshot, so I'm sure it could fix your spectre's problem.
If you know of a Nerf war in Raleigh lately, please tell me! I want to participate.

#5 ZoMbIe HuNtEr

ZoMbIe HuNtEr

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 03:22 PM

You could use super glue, or better yet: melt the edges back together. I use a wood-burning tool when I weld plastics. You could also use some all purpose solvent.(avalible at lowes) But the best fix of all; use the stock spring! :)

Super glue melts plastic.

Yeah dude, did it ever occur to you after the first or second broke that maybe you should stick to jst the stock, there are a ton of ways to get more power out out a gun rather than using a bigger spring.

The omw 2x spring isn't bigger just stronger, but if you are able to cut the most thin layer of epoxy putter you can, it should do and still won't be a really tight fit.
PHILIPPIANS 4:6
Check out my youtube channel for great reviews and modifications:
www.youtube.com/titanreceiver88
For even more detailed Nerf info, check out my blog
www.titanreceiver88.wordpress.com

#6 The Manta

The Manta

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 03:40 PM

The omw 2x spring isn't bigger just stronger, but if you are able to cut the most thin layer of epoxy putter you can, it should do and still won't be a really tight fit.

I think by bigger he meant stronger. It generally means the same thing.
But anyway, try to glue or, as previously stated, melt it together. After that, try to get craft foam in the bottom of the PT and on the plastic in front of the o-ring. This reduces stress GREATLY and makes it much quieter. The foam should dramatically increase the blaster's life.
Get chance and luck

#7 Exo

Exo

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 04:01 PM

Super glue melts plastic.

No it doesn't. Superglue, (anything with cyranoacrylate as the base) is used on plastics all the time. If you sand the parts correctly before glueing them, all will be well. Also, I generally re-barrrel before I re-spring, or at least not too much re-springing. Barrels have the most effect on range, so I would suggest that you perform some other less-destructive mods first.

To everyone saying to melt the plastic back together: NO! That will "work" yes, but the bond will be weaker than a stock plastic connection. DO NOT DO THIS!

Also, so far, you've spent $60 on a blaster that is consistantly breaking on you. May I suggest you take a different project, at least until you are able to deal with this without wasting so much money?

#8 hamoidar

hamoidar

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:53 PM

To everyone saying to melt the plastic back together: NO! That will "work" yes, but the bond will be weaker than a stock plastic connection. DO NOT DO THIS!

The bond can be just as strong as the original plastic, you just have to do it right. I use a adjustable temp soldering iron/wood burning tool. With the iron set on its lowest temp, it melts the plastic rather slowly. The low temperature does not weaken the plastic at all. Now, if you use a set temp iron, you will end up with a weak, charr- filled join.
NerfHaven > Your control panel > Profile > Change Signature > Inserts dumb sig > What! No pictures! > Inserts next best thing: http://nerfhaven.com...howuser=114052' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Best thing on Nerfhaven!

#9 Exo

Exo

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:28 PM

The bond can be just as strong as the original plastic, you just have to do it right. I use a adjustable temp soldering iron/wood burning tool. With the iron set on its lowest temp, it melts the plastic rather slowly. The low temperature does not weaken the plastic at all. Now, if you use a set temp iron, you will end up with a weak, charr- filled join.

And even if it is strong, you are likely to warp the plunger tube and/or the catch nub.

#10 hamoidar

hamoidar

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:19 AM

And even if it is strong, you are likely to warp the plunger tube and/or the catch nub.

Not if you do it correctly. You have to deal with this as if you were welding sheet metal. First you tack weld the crack in several places. Then, you go back and do another set of tacks next to the first set. This process is repeated until the entire piece is welded. Although it takes a long time, it is a proven method. With such a small amount of plastic to join, this would take a very short amount of time.

#11 ShaNayNay

ShaNayNay

• Members
  • 254 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:36 PM

I think by bigger he meant stronger. It generally means the same thing.

Exactly, but no big deal. In the future, I suggest that you don't do spring replacements, especially if the first time it breaks the gun. For a gun like the Spectre, A simple AR removal, better plunger tube seal, and creating a better seal between the turret and gun could drastically improve the power of the gun.

As for your 2 or 3 other broken Spectres, I think that it would be possible replace the plungers with Maverick plungers. The internals directory indicates that the two are very similar.
I've also heard that a Titan's air tank fits into the front of a Spectre's shell almost perfectly. So, I guess if you have that an a Big Blast you could try to make a pistol sized shotgun or rocket launcher. Just some suggestions.

New Jersey is fuckin weird

#12 Exo

Exo

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:19 PM

Stuff and good advice.

As for your 2 or 3 other broken Spectres, I think that it would be possible replace the plungers with Maverick plungers. The internals directory indicates that the two are very similar.
I've also heard that a Titan's air tank fits into the front of a Spectre's shell almost perfectly. So, I guess if you have that an a Big Blast you could try to make a pistol sized shotgun or rocket launcher. Just some suggestions.

I can't recommend mixing parts, that's just a bit sketchy, but Titan pistols can be quite valuable if they have absolver attachments. If you don't want to shell out the $100 it would take to get two titans, (at least, that's what it would cost if you didn't have any/aren't able to trade) then look into PVATs, I think one with a 2" PVC base may fit cleanly.

Hamoidar: Even if it is possible to melt plastic back together while keeping the strength and original shape, if he's never done anything like that before, then it's not advisable. Anyone can use superglue, it doesn't take any training or experience, and it's really hard to mess up. And lastly, it costs a lot less for a few dots of superglue than it does to buy a tool that he may rarely use. I'm not trying to be a dick, but your suggested method just isn't the best for this situation.

Edited by Exo, 15 April 2012 - 05:24 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users