never seen this before

8 replies to this topic

#1 ThatBritishGuy

ThatBritishGuy

• Members
  • 104 posts
  • State:England

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:40 AM

Here is the problem. When it is loaded or unloaded (with a clip in) regardless of battery type, the plunger just shuttles back and forth near the beginning of its travel without chambering any dart or mis-catching.
http://s1126.photobu...nt=9ad520dd.mp4

My catch control spring is in place correctly and my catch is facing the correct way. I only have the stock spring in, and have thoroughly greased the plunger head and plunger tube with silicone grease (tried and tested on all my other blasters). I have advanced the plunger by hand and it moves fine. The only possible thing that could be causing the problem that i can see first hand is the white lever that is moved by the trigger. However, when i move the plunger by hand (with the blaster open) it works fine and has no issues with movement or catching or jamming.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as My HvZ loadout is now crippled!
My sales thread

Any Blaster mod or homemade that I post I can commission. Send me a PM on NerfHaven or BritNerf or email me by sam@lusher.org.uk

#2 Jeo

Jeo

Red Team: HooRah!

• Members
  • 93 posts
  • State:Australian Capital Territory

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:55 AM

A friend gave me his just the other day as it was doing exactly the same thing.

I'd take a punt that the gear box isn't aligned correctly? But I haven't got around to pulling it apart yet and won't get a chance to until the weekend. Will keep an eye on this thread though.

#3 Hammy

Hammy

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:27 AM

If your stampede was working, then now it has this issue, could mean you have the rounded gear problem.

There are 2 gears (small and fat, and bigger and thin) that drive the big big gear. The big big gear moves the plunger forward.

The small fat gear is connected to the bigger thin gear by a square socket, on a spindle.
The square socket has become slightly rounded, and thus slips as the plunger is driven forward.

These 2 gears need to be glued together with strong glue and your Stampede will work again.

But the fix will only last a few weeks. The stress inide will eventually fracture the bond.

#4 SgNerf

SgNerf

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:40 AM

As mention by Hammy, here is the thread with the possible solution for reference posted up by pjotrkuh:
http://nerfhaven.com...showtopic=20892

Nerf News & Reviews! >> http://www.sgnerf.blogspot.com
Nerf Mod Guides! >> http://www.modworks.blogspot.com

#5 ThatBritishGuy

ThatBritishGuy

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:20 AM

Thanks for the helps guys, i managed to find out what the problem is. Unfortunately i died a little inside when i saw it :'(

Posted Image

One of the gears in the gearbox is completely shot to pieces. It has three of the original teeth remaining and the others are strewn around the gearbox. I guess i'd better start looking for a new stampede ( or gearbox).
My sales thread

Any Blaster mod or homemade that I post I can commission. Send me a PM on NerfHaven or BritNerf or email me by sam@lusher.org.uk

#6 Hammy

Hammy

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 05:29 AM

What kind of plunger spring did you fit?

How is the condition of the big plunger gear?

The teeth on my gears are ok. It is just the square nub became rounded.
The part I was talking about in my last post, is the one you have pictured.

Edited by Hammy, 05 April 2012 - 06:22 AM.

#7 ThatBritishGuy

ThatBritishGuy

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:17 AM

The part that I have pictured is a small cog that is used to gear down the larger motor driven cogs. It connects with the large cog with the square part , it's not the same piece. This part is completely shattered and has nearly all the teeth broken off. For reference I only used a stock stampede spring with a mildly improved seal and 4 trustfire 14500s
My sales thread

#8 Hammy

Hammy

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:38 AM

The piece you have pictured and the piece that I was talking about are exactly the same gear. The one that drives the big gear which moves the plunger forward.
In two of my stampedes, it seperated into 2 parts.

Ok for your issue, I hazard a guess that the battery power is too strong for your plunger spring setup.
Maybe the plunger is moving forward too fast then is not pushed back to the start position before the big gear engages the plunger again,
And as a result gears are crashing. This is my guess.

#9 Ivan S

Ivan S

• Members
  • 123 posts
  • State:Virginia

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:13 PM

Ok for your issue, I hazard a guess that the battery power is too strong for your plunger spring setup.

The 4 trustfire 14500s a very common battery mod for the stampede, and people hardly ever see this problem. I would venture to say that you just got a model with a weaker than average gearbox. If you did a REALLY poor job with the seal improvement, added friction may have contributed to the problem, but that would be pretty unlikely.

Anyway, I don't think there's much you can do other than buy a broken stampede off of someone solely for a replacement gear. If you were really ambitious, you could try casting a new one out of epoxy, but that's probably be more trouble than it's worth, and might not even work.
You can never take nerf too seriously, but you can easily take yourself too seriously.
~Talio

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users