suppose this is almost a warning

4 replies to this topic

#1 StraXXuS

StraXXuS

• Members
  • 33 posts
  • State:Nevada

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:40 PM

I was painting a jolt into MIB colors earlier today, everything was going fine until I go and spray clearcoat onto the black and chrome paint job. The clearcoat dulled the chrome to an almost steel pipe grey. Has anyone else had this happen to them? anyone have an explanation?

#2 TheSilentRebel

TheSilentRebel

• Members
  • 172 posts
  • State:Pennsylvania

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:53 PM

The clearcoat dulled the chrome to an almost steel pipe grey. Has anyone else had this happen to them? anyone have an explanation?

You probably used a Matte clear coat. Get a gloss or high-gloss clear coat and you should be good.
We are men of action, lies do not become us.

#3 RedShot

RedShot

• Members
  • 455 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:01 PM

Yes I have had the same effect, and the same result. I used a matte finish so it completed dulled the chrome and from what I was told a clear coat in general will either dull or eliminate the chrome effect unfortunately, but try a high gloss and let us know what happens
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together!
[RedShot]

#4 StraXXuS

StraXXuS

• Members
  • 33 posts
  • State:Nevada

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:09 PM

Yes I have had the same effect, and the same result. I used a matte finish so it completed dulled the chrome and from what I was told a clear coat in general will either dull or eliminate the chrome effect unfortunately, but try a high gloss and let us know what happens

Ok thanks! any recomendations on what clear coat to buy? Im new to the spray paint thing.

#5 sublimedom777

sublimedom777

• Members
  • 468 posts
  • u/SublimeDom777 on Reddit

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:43 AM

Since the product is related, I may add another caution. Do not use painters tape directly on chrome spray paint. It will peel the chrome off, even after considerable cure time (3 75+degree summer days) I was using rustoleum spray paint, and scotch blue painters tape.

Last of the Sex Dwarves, Head of Waifu Relations, Fetishizer of Blasters, The Far Warring, Mini-Van Driver, Possessor of Mattels, and Warden of the Manongahela

We NERF ON all day, and FUCK OFF all night

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users