Photo

Ever Chronographed your blasters?

7 replies to this topic

#1 Guitarzan

Guitarzan

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:09 PM

I'm very interested in knowing specific data regarding how fast peoples modified/ homemade blasters shoot. So if you would, please post how fast your blaster shot, what blaster it was and the style of stefans used. thanks

#2 Doom

Doom

NH's Official In-House Physicist

• Administrators
  • 559 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:31 PM

This is not a comprehensive list of tests, but it is what I could find on short notice:

Beaver also did some more recent tests similar (but superior to) my drag coefficient tests that he could post if he wishes to.

Edited by Doom, 20 March 2012 - 10:02 PM.

#3 roboman

roboman

• Members
  • 489 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:39 PM

Some basic testing I did a while ago with a singled AT2K.

Youtube

LS and Retaliator boltsleds are currently available at https://www.facebook.com/RoboM8/

#4 SgNerf

SgNerf

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 04:26 AM

I did a bunch of shot velocity tests on my modded blasters a few years back with a Shooting Chrony F-1 unit:

Posted Image

Sample FPS measurement from an optimized Brass Breech Longshot w/ 14kg spring load:

Posted Image

Here are some more test results from a few modded blasters for reference: http://www.modworks.blogspot.com/2010/06/nerf-blaster-fps-chronograph-speed.html

Its been a while since i ran a series of tests on blasters... luckily i still have the shooting chrony, so i'll probably do another batch of tests with the newer blasters soon. :)
Nerf News & Reviews! >> http://www.sgnerf.blogspot.com
Nerf Mod Guides! >> http://www.modworks.blogspot.com

#5 Daniel Beaver

Daniel Beaver

HQRSE CQCK

• Moderators
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:40 PM

I shot a few darts through my chrono last Saturday. I purposely varied the number of pumps on my SM1500 so that I could see the relationship between muzzle velocity and range. Quite variable, which is not all that surprising - darts hit the ground at such a shallow angle that even minor effects are greatly amplified. While this data is a little bit too variable for my tastes, I think this demonstrates at least one thing: we never actually shoot our guns level. Ranges were quite low for given velocities, and I felt like I was pointing my gun downwards (I taped a level to the barrel).

Data, for those who are interested.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The darts weigh 1.15g (standard slugs using #6 washers and MHA pink foam) I measured the barrel at 5'11" above ground. That probably varied between shots, but not by too much (I held it up against my cheek when I fired).

I also wrote down the weather from that afternoon:
27.4 °C
1016.1 hPa
68% Humidity

Edited by Daniel Beaver, 20 March 2012 - 10:57 PM.

#6 Guitarzan

Guitarzan

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:45 AM

Wow thanks everyone for posting their findings. Daniel, I'm especially excited to read more about your findings about the relationship between initial velocity and range.

How much did you guys spend on those chronographs? Does anyone know if the cheaper handheld chronos that you simply touch to the barrel of a paintball gun would work with nerf guns?

#7 Daniel Beaver

Daniel Beaver

HQRSE CQCK

• Moderators
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:04 PM

Shooting Chrony F-1 Chronograph

Does anyone know if the cheaper handheld chronos that you simply touch to the barrel of a paintball gun would work with nerf guns?

Those are usually radar guns, and not necessarily any cheaper. They do work, but might have issues measuring low velocities. The Chrono I use measures down to 30fps, good enough for even very weak nerf guns.

Edited by Daniel Beaver, 21 March 2012 - 02:05 PM.

#8 shardbearer

shardbearer

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:08 PM

Homemade Chronograph
It's like $5 in electronics plus a computer.

Edited by shardbearer, 10 November 2012 - 06:09 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users