New Use For Ball Valves

just a concept

3 replies to this topic

#1 Megothitinheadbydart

Megothitinheadbydart

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 25 May 2004 - 03:25 PM

I was thinking of using a tension sping to open a ball valve quikly. Please let me know what you think and give me some latch ideas.

#2 GeneralPrimevil

GeneralPrimevil

• Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 25 May 2004 - 03:47 PM

Hmm...
Do you mean so that it opens easier? because if the spring itself opens it, then during refilling one has to keep their hand on the valve handle. I was thinking of something very similar to this, but ruled it out because of that. Instead I just use the thumd on my left hand to assist, once I get my homemade working again. Solenoids operated valves, however costly they are, are pretty much the best choice for a quickly opening valve. As for a latch, what kind of valve handle? If it has a plastic double wing design, just drill a hole and hook up one end of the spring to it. If it has one handle, I guess the same thing, except it's metal, so use of a stronger bit and more powerful drill is needed.
"Fear the man with one gun, for he probably knows how to use it."

#3 Megothitinheadbydart

Megothitinheadbydart

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 04:30 PM

I have a double wing valve. I was going to have a latch that keeps the valve closed after you cock. I was thinking of a bar tha runs forwards from a hinge and has another part going down so you can make the bar swing down and allow the bottom wing of teh valve to go backwards.

#4 GeneralPrimevil

GeneralPrimevil

• Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 07:49 PM

I kinda see what your talking about. This is what I think you put, only in my words: A rod that prevents the valve from being opened, allowing the gun to be refilled. It would be attached to the valve by a hinge, allowing it to swing out of the way. So essentially it could double as a safety. Hmm. Interesting.
"Fear the man with one gun, for he probably knows how to use it."

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users