Photo

Nite Finder Plunger Rod Reinforcement

2 replies to this topic

#1 iamthatcat

iamthatcat

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:51 PM

I recently wanted to up the power of my NF's but was concerned by the bending of the plunger rod that I was already noticing. I personally do not like epoxy putty so I looked around for some ideas. Hmmm.. CPVC is handy! So I chopped out a piece about 1/2 the length I needed and a little wider than the space available in the plunger rod's cavity. I used a ceramic sanding disc to do the cutting and also some shaping.

Posted Image

I cut another piece to match and started to fit them into place. I shaped the little strips to sit flush at the bottom of the area and to clear the catch at the top. I notched one piece so it sat nice and flush and carried some force.

Posted Image

Here's how they look once fitted. I filed them until they fit without bowing out the factory plastic. I scuffed everything and glued them into place. Clamp along the sides for a good bond. This may be a good job for solvent welding but I was unsure as to compatibility. Mine is fine with epoxy.

Posted Image

This has worked well for me and was certainly cheap & easy to do. My plunger rod is no longer flexing and has handled the extra power.

#2 hamoidar

hamoidar

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 11:08 AM

This would be alot easier if you just filled the hole with JB-weld or another hard-setting epoxy. It would be just as strong, and have the same cure time.
NerfHaven > Your control panel > Profile > Change Signature > Inserts dumb sig > What! No pictures! > Inserts next best thing: http://nerfhaven.com...howuser=114052' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Best thing on Nerfhaven!

#3 iamthatcat

iamthatcat

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 12:29 PM

You are right, and I did consider using jb or kwik plastik (which is all I have atm). I am really cheap and prefer to use those products sparingly. Honestly, I think that this is also stronger than epoxy putty.

One further motivation for this design is also fairly quick repeatability. I can do this pretty quickly to 4 or 5 Nf's without much hassle. Once you know what width, length & profile on the ends you need, it's pretty fast making another.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users