Photo

False's guide to painting faux wood

6 replies to this topic

#1 False

False

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 09:40 PM

A couple people had asked me how I did that wooden effect on my M-bow (Marshmallow Crossbow), so here is a little write-up. Also, it was pretty dark and the photos were taken on my iPod, so the quality of the pictures isn't that great, but hopefully you'll get the general idea.

What you'll need:
- Blaster for painting (herpderp)
- White spray paint
- 'Raw umber' acrylic hand paint
- 'Burnt umber' acrylic hand paint
- Wood varnish
- A couple brushes that you wouldn't mind cutting up a bit.

Paints:
Posted Image
By false_ at 2012-03-10

Firstly, lay down a coat of white (you can still see the last paintjob on mine because I ran out of paint, haha. Also, disregard already-painted bits)
Posted Image
By false_ at 2012-03-10

Secondly, paint 4-6 layers (depending on how dark you want the 'wood' to be- more layers= darker 'wood') of raw umber, doing each layer either with vertical or horizontal strokes (If you do horizontal one layer, do vertical the next, and so on). Try and leave the brush strokes visible because it serves to create a layered effect.
Posted Image
By false_ at 2012-03-10

Then cut up a couple of brushes so that that the bristles are sort of like this: /|/|/| - points on the brush with space between them. For example, these are some that I use:
Posted Image
By false_ at 2012-03-10

Using those brushes, dab the ends lightly in some burnt umber and press lightly along the painted parts of your blaster and drag them along. This creates the 'grain'. It is important not to overdo this bit.
Posted Image
By false_ at 2012-03-10

Now, don't worry if you think that the colours are to blended. That is what the varnish is for. So take some of the varnish and coat the 'wooden' parts in it. It should contrast the colours and make it look like polished 'wood'. If you don't want it to be shiny, just spray a clear, protective coat over it and it will appear still contrasted, but more dull and matte.
Posted Image
By false_ at 2012-03-10
Posted Image
By false_ at 2012-03-10

(This is what my finished blaster ended up looking like:)
Posted Image
By false_ at 2012-03-10

Enjoy :)

EDIT: I can't reply to any posts in this thread for a couple of days due to my FNG status, any questions during that time should be directed to my inbox.

Edited by False, 11 March 2012 - 01:17 AM.

~ Max.

~ My DeviantART username is WhoMax - Both blasters and drawings/paintings there

#2 thesaz123

thesaz123

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 09:51 PM

That is beautiful. I am definately going to do this. You should make some more guides for painting! (maybe water-droplet technique?)
Thesaz123: Noob Nerf Modder

#3 False

False

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:21 AM

I'm just glad to help, haha.

Some more painting tutorials sounds like fun, and droplet effect, eh? Haven't even heard if that one but I'll give it a crack!
~ Max.

~ My DeviantART username is WhoMax - Both blasters and drawings/paintings there

#4 Nerfomania

Nerfomania

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:34 AM

I would love to try this sometime. It is such a cool technique. Great job on the explanation!
20:45 Talio I'll have the talk with you
20:45 Talio penis in vagina
20:45 Talio fin

#5 Eik

Eik

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:54 PM

Nice work, man. I have yet to try faux wood on anything, I'll need to find a project for this!

#6 thesaz123

thesaz123

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:41 PM

Working on painting a jolt with this "faux wood" on the handle. :D hope it works out.
Thesaz123: Noob Nerf Modder

#7 hamoidar

hamoidar

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 05:08 PM

Good job! looks super realistic. I did somthing like this on my stampede recently. I only used one color of paint though, as I simply diluted the first coat, then used the original paint for the grain. I will post a picture of it in the mods/pj thread soon.
NerfHaven > Your control panel > Profile > Change Signature > Inserts dumb sig > What! No pictures! > Inserts next best thing: http://nerfhaven.com...howuser=114052' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Best thing on Nerfhaven!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users