Engineering project Nerf Maverick?
Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:20 AM
Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:27 AM
Thanks, but I am trying to keep things relatively simple. We were thinking about just changing the spring, russian roullete mod, straw mod, and possibly removing the air restrictor. Are any of these worth it? What is the best upgrade spring to put in a maverick? thanks.
Cut the handle off, and use it on a SNAP.
Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:33 AM
Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:50 AM
I know of the penny mod, but many say it is better to by a new spring rather than to just compress it more. Is that not the opinion of this forum?
The easiest mod requires 3 pennies. Use your head for this one. You put them behind the spring.
and yes the SNAP went right over my head
Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:54 AM
My brand of humor is sometimes obtuse.
I think that went right over his head.
@staffo08: My point was that Mavericks are, on a very fundamental level, awful blasters. It is possible to eek out semi-okay performance, but your time and money might be better spent on a different blaster. My suggestion to cut the handle off and use it on a SNAP was only half in jest.
If you're really hell-bent on modding it, then understand that you must address all it's flaws. Fail to fix any of these, and performance will suck:
- A stronger spring is needed. If you hit up the trading forum, you can probably get someone to ship you a dedicated replacement spring. Reverse plunger blasters such as the maverick do not tolerate much deviation in spring dimensions, so you probably need to special order this.
- The plunger head seal needs to be good or perfect. You can probably accomplish this by wrapping some teflon tape under the o-ring, and making sure that it is properly lubricated. Check by sealing the plunger tube opening with your finger while you fire the blaster.
- You need to lower the dead space in the plunger tube. The straw mod is the usual method. Make sure you use a straw who's diameter is larger than the plunger tube opening, or else this mod will hurt more than it helps.
- You need to improve the seal between the plunger tube and the turret. The mod directory has a few examples of this, usually using craft foam. An alternative might be to use a rubber gasket, well lubricated. This will probably be the most difficult problem to solve - take a look at some doomsayer and quad shot writeups for ideas.
- You need to re-barrel the turret, remove air restrictors, and maybe widen the holes in the back of the turret. This is straight-forward to do.
- The roulette mod is also required for reloading efficiency. This is also straight-forward to do.
Edited by Daniel Beaver, 29 February 2012 - 10:12 AM.
Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:08 AM
2015 Nerf War Schedule
Bless you, my son. Now recite 3 New Members Guides and 5 Code of Conducts for your sins.
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users