Photo

Code Of Conduct

107 replies to this topic

Poll: Is the Code of Conduct Too Strict? (172 member(s) have cast votes)

Is the Code of Conduct Too Strict?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#76 TimberwolfCY

TimberwolfCY

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 12:33 AM

That thing is so utterly and completely awesome, lol.
"Denial is the most predictable of all human responses. But, rest assured, this will be the sixth time we have destroyed it, and we have become exceedingly efficient at it." - The Architect, The Matrix: Reloaded

TimberwolfCY
of NH, NHQ, NO, NC

#77 taita cakes

taita cakes

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 04:20 AM

Why, Why Thank You!

I thought most forums were over-run with ebaums pics these days so i did a googles search for "evil" ...

You can download the posters for free, here.

Enjoy.
Oh Kentucky, you are so fuggin awesome...

#78 Vintage

Vintage

• Members
  • 462 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 10:07 AM

Taita, Blaster, and TimberwolfCY, what has this got to do with Code of Conduct?

You have managed to hijack this thread with a useless pic that you could have just posted in one of the political threads.

I don't think you want me to search for similar pics of Kerry, and I know cxwq doesn't. I hope cxwq does something about this.

~Vintage

Edited by Vintage, 10 June 2004 - 10:08 AM.

You can get much further with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone
~Al Capone

#79 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 10:19 AM

I don't think you want me to search for similar pics of Kerry

Actually, in this case you'd have to search for pics of John Howard.
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#80 CustomSnake202

CustomSnake202

• Members
  • 506 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 10:34 AM

There aren't too many pictures of John Howard being portrayed as the devil or something along those lines on google images. But, I did find a picture of Jesus!

#81 AirApache

AirApache

• Members
  • 743 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 02:50 PM

Cx, that's just great. Custom, do you know HOW many things you could do with that picture? ;) .
Indiana '11

#82 TimberwolfCY

TimberwolfCY

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 04:17 PM

Seriously, as far as politicians go, I don't really care who gets made fun of, cause the vast majority all suck anyway. Secondly, cool out man, I didn't post any pictures, and I thought it was funny, so I said that. Is that not what a message board is for-communitcating? Its not like I sat there and wrote a treatise on the suicide bombings in Iraq and how Bush's monkey ass isn't doing shit. Finally, if it had been posted in one of the political threads, it wouldn't have belonged anyway, because they have debates going on there and the poster would have been flamed to death. I would call you a hipocrite, but I'm not doing any better at the moment. In your words to 1/2 Newb, "try to act mature on these forums, please," and ditch the petty corrections and insults.
"Denial is the most predictable of all human responses. But, rest assured, this will be the sixth time we have destroyed it, and we have become exceedingly efficient at it." - The Architect, The Matrix: Reloaded

TimberwolfCY
of NH, NHQ, NO, NC

#83 Blaster

Blaster

• Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 05:39 PM

Taita, Blaster, and TimberwolfCY, what has this got to do with Code of Conduct?

You have managed to hijack this thread with a useless pic that you could have just posted in one of the political threads.

I don't think you want me to search for similar pics of Kerry, and I know cxwq doesn't. I hope cxwq does something about this.

~Vintage

Heh jeez, loosen up. It's just a funny pic. Hijack? What we're Nerfhaven thread terrorists now?
"The voice of the American people has been heard; and, I won't imitate it, out of respect for the retarded."
— Lewis Black (concerning the 04 election results)
www.lewisblack.net

#84 IronRhino

IronRhino

• Members
  • 363 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 06:01 PM

Hijacking a thread is a common term, dumbass.

Look. Taita thought he'd express his views with a picture. Wethere you agree with it or not, I don't give a shit and I think the majority of the board members don't eithere. And now you won't let it die. I apologize for posting in regard to this matter at all, but let's talk about the Code of Conduct.

I love that Cxwq bans people. I hate it when people are like, "He's just a newb, he'll learn" That doesn't apply after you've been here for a few months. Keep up the good work Cxwq.
She never told me she was a mime

Check out Foam Fortress

#85 Blaster

Blaster

• Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 11 June 2004 - 01:21 PM

Hijacking a thread is a common term, dumbass.

Ironass I was just joking around. Holy crap, I make one comment about a funny picture and you guys act like it's the end of the world.
"The voice of the American people has been heard; and, I won't imitate it, out of respect for the retarded."
www.lewisblack.net

#86 AirApache

AirApache

• Members
  • 743 posts

Posted 13 June 2004 - 10:01 AM

Sorry but I'll have to stick with IronRhino on this one...

IR isn't telling you it's the end of the world, he's just saying that the topic is the Code of Conduct. Which says, by the way, no pointless flames.

I hate it when people are like, "He's just a newb, he'll learn" That doesn't apply after you've been here for a few months.

Back to the Code of Conduct, I think one of the main reasons why people act like such (yes, including me) when they first come is because we're so used to just clicking the 'I agree' button and continuing on, because most Code of Conducts are the same. However, people tend to forget what "don't be an idiot" means after they've agreed for the fiftieth time. If there is some way to emphasize the reading of the Code of Conduct when people first join, I think the forum will be more newb-friendly, and there will be less flaming in general (perhaps...).

AA

Edited by AirApache, 13 June 2004 - 10:01 AM.

Indiana '11

#87 Blaster

Blaster

• Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 13 June 2004 - 11:03 AM

Sorry but I'll have to stick with IronRhino on this one...

IR isn't telling you it's the end of the world, he's just saying that the topic is the Code of Conduct. Which says, by the way, no pointless flames.

It wasn't really a pointless flame. I just called him Ironass because he called me dumbass. I only made fun of him back so it's not entirely pointless. Now let's just stop wasting space with this subject in this topic.
www.lewisblack.net

#88 rawray7

rawray7

• Members
  • 549 posts

Posted 13 June 2004 - 05:44 PM

Back to the Code of Conduct, I think one of the main reasons why people act like such (yes, including me) when they first come is because we're so used to just clicking the 'I agree' button and continuing on, because most Code of Conducts are the same. However, people tend to forget what "don't be an idiot" means after they've agreed for the fiftieth time. If there is some way to emphasize the reading of the Code of Conduct when people first join, I think the forum will be more newb-friendly, and there will be less flaming in general (perhaps...).

AA

i think i've stumbled across an ingenious method of accomplishing just that! now, what you do is, you administer new members a "test" on the code of coduct. if they pass, then they are allowed to register; if they fail, we kill them.

sample questions:
1)stay on topic, true or false?
2)Use capitalization and __________ correctly
A. Jesus B. Food C.Punctuated Equilibrium D.Punctuation

"Sophisticated...God, I'm sophisticated!"

Edited by rawray7, 13 June 2004 - 05:50 PM.

You, nerfboi, are the suckest gun. -neonerfer

#89 taita cakes

taita cakes

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 06:45 AM

Isn't it amazing what storms brew when you go away for three days?!

I just have a few points to state:
1) I tested the systems effectiveness and remained on topic by so obviously violating the ToS/CoC. [or at least that's my excuse]
2) John Howard is a douche, so is every polictician, it's in the job description, look closely, its some where in the back.
3) Vintage, i simply posted an image where i felt an ebaumsworld image just would not do. . . and are my assumptions correct? Are you as tight as a fishes?

It really doesnt get more off topic than this:

Mmmmmm... Cookies...

and

Bit Torrent is your friend

We have talked about pr0n, cookies, and politics, and of course, flamed each other, heck we might have even talked about the CoC in there. We naturally go off topic a fair bit, and i don't really care, CX did it, so it must be allright, or acceptable at least :ph34r:

#90 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 10:06 AM

Minor off-topicness as part of a discussion is acceptable and natural. Thread hijacking is something else entirely. If you have a lot to say about something that isn't the subject of the thread, start a new one.

The picture was, I presume, a commentary on what was going on in this thread. While I don't generally care much for using images where a few words will do, I don't have a big problem with it.
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#91 taita cakes

taita cakes

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 01:54 AM

Point taken.

I have found that Google Image Search can provide many a humorous image, by simply typing a keyword as well as funny, or just browsing for yourself.

My picture was a simple statement that the action CX took [notifying his host of his actions] was down right evil, but still funny. A reply like this would be inhumanely stupid and i thought there might be a few funny results for 'evil' on google. There was. Deal with it.

#92 AirApache

AirApache

• Members
  • 743 posts

Posted 21 June 2004 - 07:59 AM

2)Use capitalization and __________ correctly
A. Jesus B. Food C.Punctuated Equilibrium D.Punctuation

"Sophisticated...God, I'm sophisticated!"

I'm still laughing.

Oops...that's off topic.
Indiana '11

#93 Chrysophylax

Chrysophylax

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 08:56 PM

I suggest we make potential users take an IQ test. Those with an intelligence quotient under 80 should be denied access. If you think about it, it would solve some problems.

Hee hee.

Edit:

But, I did find a picture of Jesus!

Oooh boy. What insulting/outright blasphemous things about Our Lord can I say today?

Edited by Chrysophylax, 06 July 2004 - 09:00 PM.

"I FUCKING BEG OF YOU! MY FUCKING BROTHER WOULD GET OFF!"

--Mraow

#94 ZATZAi

ZATZAi

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 06:18 AM

I suggest we make potential users take an IQ test. Those with an intelligence quotient under 80 should be denied access. If you think about it, it would solve some problems.

That, is a very interesting idea.

#95 Chrysophylax

Chrysophylax

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 08:00 AM

It would raise some moral issues, like if we're discriminating against people born MR. But we could change the name of the site to the Nerfhaven Mensa, raise the IQ limit to 140, and justify the changes.
"I FUCKING BEG OF YOU! MY FUCKING BROTHER WOULD GET OFF!"

--Mraow

#96 Vintage

Vintage

• Members
  • 462 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 08:49 AM

If cxwq absolutely felt it necessary to filter applicants in that way, I think a more logical approach would be a quiz to see how much homework the person has actually done in the realm of nerf.

Questions such as "What is a Stefan?" "What does 'SSPB' stand for?" etc.

Maybe a small grammar test could be implemented.

However, I personally enjoy watching the sparks fly when illiterate youngsters get justice from the senior members and cxwq.

~Vintage

Edited by Vintage, 07 July 2004 - 08:05 PM.

You can get much further with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone
~Al Capone

#97 Ice Nine

Ice Nine

Prince Dangus

• Administrators
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 05:11 PM

In Kingdom of Loathing, to use the chat you have to pass a test that the Ghost of English Literature gives you. It has a sentance that you have to type in, word for word, and you can't copy and paste the line. Trust me, I tried.

Then he makes you answer a trivia question, about what color George Washington's white horse was. We could probably make one to fit Nerf.

But, like Vintage said, what would we do without the silly n00blet threads?

Unholy Three: DUPLUM SCRTA, DUPLUM PROBLEMA (2009)

But Zeke guns tend to be like proofs by contradiction

Theoretically solid but actually non-constructive

Rnbw Cln

#98 Parapsycho

Parapsycho

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 27 March 2005 - 07:50 PM

I think the Code of Conduct is fairly good and to the point. However, there is a fine balance between a post that is posted in an old thread, and a thread that has already been posted before. Ive been in situations (like with this thread, for example) where there is a thread that is old, but still relevent, where I dont think making a new one would be helpful. In some forums, you get flamed either way. If you respond to the topic, you get flamed for bringing up old topics. If you decide the thread is too old, and start a new one, you get flamed for not using the search function, even if you have.

I think the rules are fine, but they dont mean anything without someone there to objectively interpret them. I think people should sit back and examine the situation before entering into a flame war.

Edited by Parapsycho, 27 March 2005 - 07:52 PM.

#99 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 27 March 2005 - 08:24 PM

You may be right, but nonetheless- if there is no reason to bring up a thread, better to just leave it be.

And we use Cx's interpretation- whatever he says of the rules, goes.

~ompa

Edited by ompa, 27 March 2005 - 08:26 PM.

#100 AirApache

AirApache

• Members
  • 743 posts

Posted 27 March 2005 - 08:25 PM

Well you'll have a tough time convincing the majority of the forums (aka 13 year olds) this. A lot of people post to get their post count higher and or they think they'll gain respect by flaming newbs because people will see them as someone with authority (read: bully).

You brought up a good point about old posts, and a lot of has to do with WHO posts. If for example cx or Groove posted a new topic about something already discussed, they probably won't get flamed. The best way to prevent falling into the catagory of a pointless flame is to make sure that you contribute to the topic while reminding them to stop doing whatever they are doing.

AA
Indiana '11

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users