Photo

How to clean PETG?

15 replies to this topic

#1 Taishaku

Taishaku

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:38 AM

Long story short, my darts sometimes won't go through my PETG barrels. I am wondering if this has to do with anything INSIDE my barrels, or perhaps if my barrels aren't straight. (They're being run through Venom's spacers.)

#2 Galaxy613

Galaxy613

• Members
  • 999 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 01:17 AM

Give a spray of silicone down the PETG and fire a few darts out of it, push them all the way if need be. Even if they aren't straight they should at least go out. If your darts are still getting completely stuck then the PETG might be too long and/or your blaster too weak.
[Former Caretaker of the Guru Mk2]

#3 Taishaku

Taishaku

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:31 AM

Give a spray of silicone down the PETG and fire a few darts out of it, push them all the way if need be. Even if they aren't straight they should at least go out. If your darts are still getting completely stuck then the PETG might be too long and/or your blaster too weak.

I will try this.

It's an Air Tech 3000 with 11 inch barrels and the Overhaul modification plus the Magstrike bladder integration. I doubt it's an issue of power. xD

How about the outside? Any way to buff out the scratches and smudges left by epoxy and spacers?

#4 Hammy

Hammy

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:45 AM

New PETG :)

#5 Phree Agent

Phree Agent

• Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:51 AM

If your petg got bent/warped/crimped at all it could be putting unwanted extra friction on your darts.

#6 NerfNoob10

NerfNoob10

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:01 AM

I've cleaned dirt out of the inside of my barrels simply by wetting a paper towel and pushing it up and down the barrel with a dowel.

#7 andtheherois

andtheherois

• Banned
  • 821 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:58 AM

I will try this.

It's an Air Tech 3000 with 11 inch barrels and the Overhaul modification plus the Magstrike bladder integration. I doubt it's an issue of power. xD

How about the outside? Any way to buff out the scratches and smudges left by epoxy and spacers?

Just because it should have a lot of power doesn't mean it has a lot of power. Make sure you don't have any leaks. Unless your darts are unbelievably tight there's no reason why a 3k with a magstrike bladder wouldn't be able to send darts flying.

Edited by andtheherois, 23 February 2012 - 11:58 AM.

The YooToobz
Photobucket

Winning rounds is rewarding, deal with it. We don't play fucking patty cake over here.

#8 Taishaku

Taishaku

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:24 PM

@Phree Agent
How would I check this? My darts drop through fine.

@andtheherois
Even if there is an air leak, the darts should still get enough power to clear the barrel.

#9 Blue

Blue

• Members
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:44 PM

This happens to me all the time with PETG airguns. For example, with a flow modded 2k with 12 petg barrels and 5 pumps darts quite often make a horrible squeek noise and either don't leave the barrel or don't go very far. Doesn't seem to happen so much with slugs. I am guessing that the air power is pushing the dart so fast that the inertia of the ball bearing/glue dome gets pushed to the side and thus hits the side of the wall. Some tests with very loose foam and I actually managed to get a dart stuck midway in a barrel completely folded in half. I have never understood the "airgun fit" as CPVC seems to work for everything just fine.

#10 Taishaku

Taishaku

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:23 PM

This happens to me all the time with PETG airguns. For example, with a flow modded 2k with 12 petg barrels and 5 pumps darts quite often make a horrible squeek noise and either don't leave the barrel or don't go very far. Doesn't seem to happen so much with slugs. I am guessing that the air power is pushing the dart so fast that the inertia of the ball bearing/glue dome gets pushed to the side and thus hits the side of the wall. Some tests with very loose foam and I actually managed to get a dart stuck midway in a barrel completely folded in half. I have never understood the "airgun fit" as CPVC seems to work for everything just fine.

YES. This is what happens to me. The dart usually gets stuck 3/4s the way through. I currently am firing streamlines. I would love to use something like a slug, I just don't think any reason is sufficient to justify accidentally hurting someone if the tip came loose or anything. (The Magstrike bladder really adds a lot of power, but I rarely pump more than 5 times. It's really there for the challenge of modifying an AT3K so extensively.)

Here's hoping these elite darts are all that they're cracked up to be.

Edited by Taishaku, 23 February 2012 - 03:25 PM.

#11 snickers

snickers

• Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:45 PM

Your darts may be made incorrectly. Make sure there is no excess glue on the side of your foam.

Edited by snickers, 23 February 2012 - 05:21 PM.

#12 Blue

Blue

• Members
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:55 PM

YES. This is what happens to me. The dart usually gets stuck 3/4s the way through. I currently am firing streamlines. I would love to use something like a slug, I just don't think any reason is sufficient to justify accidentally hurting someone if the tip came loose or anything. (The Magstrike bladder really adds a lot of power, but I rarely pump more than 5 times. It's really there for the challenge of modifying an AT3K so extensively.)

Here's hoping these elite darts are all that they're cracked up to be.

Yup, happens with streamlines too... especially streamlines, because of the ridiculously long stem. And I'm sure the elite darts will do the same. I don't know why you would be using streamlines with such a powerful blaster though; if you do manage to get a good shot the dart will be blown out anyways.

#13 Taishaku

Taishaku

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:10 PM

Yup, happens with streamlines too... especially streamlines, because of the ridiculously long stem. And I'm sure the elite darts will do the same. I don't know why you would be using streamlines with such a powerful blaster though; if you do manage to get a good shot the dart will be blown out anyways.

I usually pump it only than 3-5 times. I do it out of safety concerns. I don't want any metal or hard dense surfaces. =\

So... any PETG cleaner/polisher out there?

Edited by Taishaku, 23 February 2012 - 11:10 PM.

#14 SgNerf

SgNerf

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:44 AM

Taishaku,

The streamline foam darts you use are too loose for PETG barrels, you should use foam darts or stefans which have a snug fit in the barrels (not loose nor tight). A 100% dart to barrel seal is essential for optimal performance.

Foam darts with loose barrel fit (you mentioned they could just drop right through the barrel) allow air and pressure to escape around it, hence wasting alot of power. This is usually one of the common causes of foam darts slowing down or stalling halfway in the barrel and not fired out (or getting less range), even from powerful blasters.

Switch to custom foam darts or stefans which have a snug fit in PETG barrels and you will see the difference (and way better consistency + accuracy too). :)

Edited by SgNerf, 24 February 2012 - 10:43 AM.

Nerf News & Reviews! >> http://www.sgnerf.blogspot.com
Nerf Mod Guides! >> http://www.modworks.blogspot.com

#15 Taishaku

Taishaku

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:41 PM

Taishaku,

The streamline foam darts you use are too loose for PETG barrels, you should use foam darts or stefans which have a snug fit in the barrels (not loose nor tight). A 100% dart to barrel seal is essential for optimal performance.

Foam darts with loose barrel fit (you mentioned they could just drop right through the barrel) allow air and pressure to escape around it, hence wasting alot of power. This is usually one of the common causes of foam darts slowing down or stalling halfway in the barrel and not fired out (or getting less range), even from powerful blasters.

Switch to custom foam darts or stefans which have a snug fit in PETG barrels and you will see the difference (and way better consistency + accuracy too). :)

Ah. Maybe I should have went with the 17/32 brass; then again, the front would be crazy heavy.

Anyhow, here goes my foray into dartsmithing. Now to find a design that is safe and effective. (I would value the former over the latter.) Any suggestions? =\

Edited by Taishaku, 24 February 2012 - 02:42 PM.

#16 Colonel Zach

Colonel Zach

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:39 PM

(I'm going to be a little off-topic here. I'm a noob who does not know the answer to your question.)

I bought my PETG in a circular spool. How does this affect the range of me re-barreled blasters?
Also, I don't use stefans, so all of my barrels are flush with the end of the gun barrel.

USER WAS WARNED FOR THIS POST
If you know of a Nerf war in Raleigh lately, please tell me! I want to participate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users