How to get idiots to play Nerf?

Just need some help.

26 replies to this topic

#1 nuni7270

nuni7270

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:13 PM

Well, as the title states, I have some idiots that I want to play Nerf. Where I used to live, we once had over 30 people playing Nerf daily during summer, now we only have one, me. I'm the only person here with a welt-leaving Longshot and that is as far as I want to go. I'm trying to get some friends into Nerf but they always say, "Why not move on to airsoft? Nerf guns are toys and toys are for kids! Man up and get something that hurts!" Now you see what I have to deal with. Any ideas on how I can get them to play Nerf without having to turn my Recon into a flamethrower?

Thanks in advance.
5, 4, 3, 2, 1, BOOM

#2 soloz1

soloz1

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:26 PM

Shoot them with a 4b.

...Man, if I lived on Oahu, I would've dropped in on Pineapple by now. On Molokai. Via Kayak. ...Fuck, we're depending on you guys to defend us from 3DBBQ, get your shit together already.

#3 evilbunnyo

evilbunnyo

• Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:28 PM

Singled titan them from 30 ft and ask them if its man enough
Silence is golden but duct tape is silver

#4 Hoop

Hoop

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:34 PM

Turn your RAIDER into a flamethrower.
Also just explain that though airsoft may hurt more, making it "cooler", a nerf gun is something you've created. It takes more than just money to make a nerf gun worthwhile, unlike airsoft. Can they mod? If not, shoot them. That usually helps convince people.
'nerf said.

#5 Ivan S

Ivan S

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:40 PM

I agree (in principle) with the previous posts. If you show them that nerf gun can be just as powerful as all the other "toy" guns out there, they'll probably be a lot more interested. Just from seeing me build and test my JSPB Mad Ghost, three people in my dorm who had never done anything with nerf before asked to buy one, and lots of other people were really impressed/interested.

Edited by Ivan S, 08 February 2012 - 10:40 PM.

You can never take nerf too seriously, but you can easily take yourself too seriously.
~Talio

#6 nuni7270

nuni7270

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:44 PM

Thanks for the help everyone. So let me get this straight, the trick is to show them what Nerf guns can do correct? If so, I believe my BBB can help me with this. Also, how can I get them to lose that "Oh no, hide these quick! I think I see some girls over there and I don't want them to see me with this!" attitude? It is extremely irritating.....
5, 4, 3, 2, 1, BOOM

#7 evilbunnyo

evilbunnyo

• Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:51 PM

Thanks for the help everyone. So let me get this straight, the trick is to show them what Nerf guns can do correct? If so, I believe my BBB can help me with this. Also, how can I get them to lose that "Oh no, hide these quick! I think I see some girls over there and I don't want them to see me with this!" attitude? It is extremely irritating.....

Tell them that they are uber manly and its okay that it has sparklez on it. Girls will dig it.

On a serious note just tell them that they didn't think much of them at first either. There are a lot more nerfers with girlfriends and girl nerfers than you think.

#8 Pointman9

Pointman9

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 11:14 PM

Shoot them with a singled Cobraaaaaa from 10 feet away.
There is no such thing as overkill. There is only cost efficiency.

#9 Aeromech

Aeromech

• Moderators
  • 434 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 11:16 PM

Aside from showing them a super powered blaster, homemade or otherwise, there isn't too much you can do. Perhaps bring a few high performance blasters to a planned meeting place and have a shoot 'em up.

You could also not give a fuck.

I am currently a student of engineering, and even in a technical environment such as my university, there is limited interest in these blasters, and even less so with my friends from home. Keep doing what you're doing until you lose interest and don't worry about what your friends think too much. If your Nerfing habits come up, treat it like any other past time. Be proud of it.

Edited by Aeromech, 08 February 2012 - 11:51 PM.

Watch my shitty videos

This is so ghetto but so awesome.

#10 Langley

Langley

LGLF - Since 2002

• Administrators
  • 2,997 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 11:22 PM

Take a look at these articles from way back.

http://nerfhaven.com...?showtopic=3922
http://nerfhaven.com...?showtopic=1602
http://nerfhaven.com...?showtopic=8969

You could also try and get a couple of them to come out to a Florida nerf war with you.

You can poop in my toilet anytime champ.

2016 Nerf War Schedule
Bless you, my son. Now recite 3 New Members Guides and 5 Code of Conducts for your sins.

#11 VelveetaAvenger

VelveetaAvenger

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 11:30 PM

Also, how can I get them to lose that "Oh no, hide these quick! I think I see some girls over there and I don't want them to see me with this!" attitude? It is extremely irritating.....

It's common knowledge that nothing gets the ladies wet like airsoft guns. I think you'll just have to admit defeat.

↓ Touché!

Edited by VelveetaAvenger, 09 February 2012 - 11:46 AM.

"I never saw Beastmaster, I just wanted to be cool..."

#12 Ambience 327

Ambience 327

• Members
  • 561 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:14 AM

That's not true. Super Soakers work much better!
Foam in the Fort IV
The fourth exciting Nerf War in Fort Wayne, IN.

#13 gehaga

gehaga

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 03:26 PM

That's not true. Super Soakers work much better!

You are correct! My evidence to support your claim.
http://youtu.be/paFUHjR8lxY

But about getting people into nerf, I've been struggling to get people into it for years. My only success has been getting people to play HvZ at my campus and when they realize that my longshot out shoots there maverick by 80ft they want to know why, so I show them. The rest is history.

Send me a PM with your address, credit card info, a scandalous picture of your mother, and your social security number. Okay, I'm kidding about the social. And the credit card.

#14 DICE134

DICE134

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 05:40 PM

shoot them with a dome with like a titan or something

USER WAS WARNED FOR THIS POST

Edited by Langley, 09 February 2012 - 06:40 PM.

#15 Wickbuddy

Wickbuddy

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 06:11 PM

Singled titan them from 30 ft and ask them if its man enough

No we need more power... SHOOT THEM WITH 3 FUCKING SINGLED TITANS! THEN LAUGH IN THEIR FACE "MAN ENOUGH BITCH!!!" Then watch happily as they roll on the floor in pain! :D

Edited by Langley, 09 February 2012 - 06:40 PM.

Check me out on Youtube

#16 evilbunnyo

evilbunnyo

• Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 06:26 PM

No we need more power... SHOOT THEM WITH 3 FUCKING SINGLED TITANS! THEN LAUGH IN THEIR FACE "MAN ENOUGH BITCH!!!" Then watch happily as they roll on the floor in pain! :D

no.
Redacted

Edited by evilbunnyo, 10 February 2012 - 08:36 PM.

#17 Langley

Langley

LGLF - Since 2002

• Administrators
  • 2,997 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 06:37 PM

shoot them with a dome with like a titan or something

no.

In what universe is this supposed to be acceptable?

I don't expect to see any more posts to the tune of SHOOT THEM REAL HARD AND MK THEM RESPEKT YOR NERFS!!!11!

2016 Nerf War Schedule
Bless you, my son. Now recite 3 New Members Guides and 5 Code of Conducts for your sins.

#18 jackrabbit

jackrabbit

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 08:08 PM

I believe all you need to do is invite them over and have a good time, then slowly ease into a small Nerf war. Just search up "Nerf war game types" in the search bar for some ideas. Also shooting them with a singled titan will only make them disrespect you.

Edited by jackrabbit, 09 February 2012 - 08:10 PM.

Like a good neighbor my dog shits in your yard.
Like a good neighbor I watch your wife bath.
Like a good neighbor plant the drugs in your car.
Like a good neighbor pick your kids up in my white van.
"Allstate Oh Hell No"
Copyright 2010-2011 Allstate Insurance Company. All rights reserved.

#19 Keo

Keo

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:03 PM

Get 3/4 plywood.
Have them shoot at it at about 10 feet with their strongest airsoft springers, and does virtualy nothing to it.
You Shoot at it with Pumpsnap or equal or greater power house.
They play nerf now.
????????
Profit.

Edited by Keo, 09 February 2012 - 09:03 PM.

#20 Aeromech

Aeromech

• Moderators
  • 434 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:02 PM

Get 3/4 plywood.
Have them shoot at it at about 10 feet with their strongest airsoft springers, and does virtualy nothing to it.
You Shoot at it with Pumpsnap or equal or greater power house.
They play nerf now.
????????
Profit.

Actually, this is an incredible idea. Just remember to wear eye protection when doing anything like this. The risk isn't worth the carelessness.
Watch my shitty videos

This is so ghetto but so awesome.

#21 Cmdrmack

Cmdrmack

• Members
  • 545 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 11:58 PM

I am of the opinion that the purpose of nerf is to have fun, not to prove how manly one is. Proving one's manliness can be fun, but if that's your goal, may I point you to another hobby that may accomplish that goal for you more efficiently.

I looked at the title of this thread and immediately thought, "Why would you want idiots to nerf with you?" They are, by your own admission, idiots. In my experience, idiots and fun are inversely proportional to one another. The more idiots involved, the less fun had.

Find people who are more interested in having fun, skip the idiots altogether.
QUOTE(Predalien_Ro @ Apr 7 2008, 10:24 PM) View Post

Oompa: FECES!? Who in their right mind would try that shit!?

Bigger Salvo

{FWPC}

#22 Blue

Blue

• Members
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:32 AM

I am of the opinion that the purpose of nerf is to have fun, not to prove how manly one is. Proving one's manliness can be fun, but if that's your goal, may I point you to another hobby that may accomplish that goal for you more efficiently.

I looked at the title of this thread and immediately thought, "Why would you want idiots to nerf with you?" They are, by your own admission, idiots. In my experience, idiots and fun are inversely proportional to one another. The more idiots involved, the less fun had.

Find people who are more interested in having fun, skip the idiots altogether.

Wow, finally an intelligent post in this horrible thread.

#23 Langley

Langley

LGLF - Since 2002

• Administrators
  • 2,997 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 01:17 PM

If agreeing with THE TRUTH is something Nerfhaven admins think needs a warning, then go right ahead and slap one on.

I happen to (mostly) agree with Mack, and feel badly that his perfectly valid point had to be tainted by a couple of smug bastards who have to weigh in on everything with snarky derision.

On the other hand, I'm a little disappointed that I don't see more nerfers trying to get their friends to come out to a war. It was a lot more common for people to go to great lengths to get their friends to nerf, back when the community was smaller and nerfing with your friends was typically the only option. Now that the community is larger, you can drive a few hours away and nerf with a bunch of people who know each other from the forums. The end result is that the tone of many wars has moved from something like a backyard football game or family picnic to a sci-fi convention or a 4chan meetup. I guess what I'm trying to say is that the OP's friends might be idiots, but at least they're not Bob.

Anyway, Nuni: I think your best bet would be to single out a couple of people who you think might be interested in nerfing if you could separate them from the pack. Show them some of your nerf stuff when you're just hanging out, try and get them to do some quick 3 or 4 person free-for-alls, and if everyone has a good time, you can try to include more people. Then maybe your other friends will get over themselves and see the light.

Here's another article that might provide some insight:
http://nerfhaven.com...?showtopic=3948

2016 Nerf War Schedule

#24 room104

room104

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 02:42 PM

I am not sure what everyone's situation for airsoft or nerf war sites/locations is, but even in the middle of nowhere where I live, finding an appropriate airsoft location is difficult. Finding a place for a nerf war (esp. when the weather is nice) is much easier. There is also the idea that you can pretty reasonably nerf inside depending on the amount of modding that you have done. The flexibility of play locations seems like a potential upside.

I am not entirely sure how to respond to the "manliness" issue, but I think that you certainly could play to the customization feature. Modding, I have to believe, is more varied in nerf, and there are just so many options - you don't have to be held back too much by expense or limited weapon options. I have found that for many people, nerf is a nice throwback to when they were younger too. Heck, half the time the people you are with probably have a gun or two in the basement or tucked away in a closet already.

I tend to believe in the "build it and they will come" philosophy on hobbies, but it does take another person or 2-3 people to make that all happen. I really liked the idea of having a couple of your closest friends or people who you think might have the most interest get it going. If you are having fun, other people will inevitably want to join.

I suppose there is no good answer, but all we can do is try.

Good luck.

#25 nuni7270

nuni7270

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 03:13 PM

Thank you all for your responses. I presume that some people will never be able to overcome that thought that everything has to hurt. I'll keep this in mind when choosing Nerfers.
5, 4, 3, 2, 1, BOOM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users