Photo

new stronger smaller snap plunger head and new style pump snap

10 replies to this topic

#1 fogeater

fogeater

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:02 PM

This is my new snap catch and priming mechanism.
I redid the hole post and photos because people wanted me to use better grammar, i left my clear lens cover on my camera so the quality was terrible.

parts

steal washer od 1 1/2 id 1/4
1/2 polycarb
1/4 bolt
1/2 cpvc 
1/2 endcap
concave steal washer 1 inch
rubber washer

You might have to use different size part for different size plunger tubes.
I am using 1 1/2 abs as my plunger tube, which is weird because the id is 1 5/8 and its called 1 1/2 this statement confused some people in the original post.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Start by cutting a plunger tube out of 1/2 cpvc. Then cut a 1/2 end cap in half and glue it to the end of the plunger tube.then drill a 1/4 hole in the end cap. That hole on the side is not supposed to be there ignore it. It looks like there is a crack in the end cap but that is a hair ignore that to.

Posted Image

Then cut a doughnut shape out of 1/2 polycarb.

make the id of the piece of polycarb the same as the od of you end cap

Then make the od of the piece of pollycarb the same as the od of your larger steal washer.

Posted Image

Then you are going to want to round out the edges to make a ramp like so

Posted Image

Then goop the polycarb to the outside of the end cap on your plunger tube.

Posted Image

Then goop the lager steal washer to the flat side of the polycarb ramp.

Posted Image

Now make a skirt seal on the end with a concave washer and a rubber washer and then put the bolt in through the front into the end cap.

Posted Image

Now for the priming mechanism it is the same as ace's singled snap (ace bow)
Couldn't find a link to a forum post about it but here is a youtube link

This is not me its ace

What i did was drill a 3/4 hole in a 2 inch abs grip were a bolt would normally go so the bolt could stick out but i didn't use it so i cut it down and used it as a pump grip.

Closed
Posted Image

Open

Posted Image

Close up

Posted Image

more info

stroke 4 inches
springs lanard shotgun nitefinder and a 2 inch by 3/4 id spring
this give me lots of power
ranges 90s
it ways about 5 or 6 pounds because of the 40 screw i had to put in it

leave any comments susgestions or questions below

Edited by fogeater, 31 January 2012 - 01:14 PM.

#2 andtheherois

andtheherois

• Banned
  • 821 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:09 PM

better pictures would be nice, however this has been done before.
The YooToobz
Photobucket

Winning rounds is rewarding, deal with it. We don't play fucking patty cake over here.

#3 spencerak

spencerak

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:25 PM

better pictures would be nice

I agree, I also find the rest of the write-up a little hard to understand, more detail and compete sentences with punctuation would be quite helpful to me.

you might have to use differnt sizes if you are using differnt size plunger tube mine is 1/2 abs which has a 1 5/8 id

what is 1/2 ABS, do you mean 1/2"?
If you meant 1/2" ABS, I don't know how you can have 1/2" with 1 5/8 ID unless you meant 1/2' but that would be way too heavy.

Please fix your grammar and add a little detail, then I may understand more than just the parts list and title.

Holy shit it's Captain Slug.

#4 Langley

Langley

LGLF - Since 2002

• Administrators
  • 2,997 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:57 PM

What the fuck am I looking at here, a picture of the Loch Ness Monster? I think we'd be better off with an MS Paint diagram, although judging by the apple-like shape of that fuzzy white blob in the first photo, I'm guessing that's too much to ask for.

I'm not saying the gun sucks. The gun might be great. But you could be posting photographs of a black dildo and stringing together random plumbing parts into sentences and I wouldn't know it.

You can poop in my toilet anytime champ.

2016 Nerf War Schedule
Bless you, my son. Now recite 3 New Members Guides and 5 Code of Conducts for your sins.

#5 cmeej

cmeej

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 11:29 PM

Sigg'd

I'm sorry. Party foul. Didn't realize that wasn't okay.

Alright, Fogeater:

A critique... people have already mentioned your photos. But I personally don't intend to attempt your construction, or for that matter, even read your post in it's entirety, until you capitalize correctly. I'm not suggesting that you have done anything wrong, just pointing out that if you want your homemade to be a success that other people create, then I suggest improving your post quality.

Good luck!

Edited by cmeej, 31 January 2012 - 02:04 AM.

Qualified Ginger
Deal affectionado and photo nazi.
"If at first the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it" -Albert Einstein

#6 Daniel Beaver

Daniel Beaver

HQRSE CQCK

• Moderators
  • 2,099 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 10:18 AM

it is the same as aces singled snap but with a 2 inch grip with a hole drilled in it were the bolt comes our i put an endcap on it to stop it from sliding inwards

Could you provide a link to "aces singled snap"? I did a search, but can't seem to find it. Your plunger head looks fine, and might be a good option for those who have access to polycarbonate.

As for the post quality, it might be worth making it clear to new posters: contributions are not useful if we can't figure out what the fuck you're talking about. The very last picture and explanation are a very good example: I don't understand what's going on in the picture, and the explanation is very poorly written. Remember that this site is a collaboration tool - communicating your ideas to others in an intelligible manner is important.

Edited by Daniel Beaver, 31 January 2012 - 10:20 AM.

#7 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 12:13 PM

Could you provide a link to "aces singled snap"? I did a search, but can't seem to find it.

He's talking about this one. (andtheherois based his contest entry off of this design).

As far as the plunger head design itself, I agree with Beaver: it's a good design option. That said, I used to similarly round endcaps for catchface ramps. It's not fast, it's not precise, and it makes a helluva mess. Not bad if you're only building one, but annoying if you end up building more.
Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#8 Daniel Beaver

Daniel Beaver

HQRSE CQCK

• Moderators
  • 2,099 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 03:56 PM

As far as the plunger head design itself, I agree with Beaver: it's a good design option. That said, I used to similarly round endcaps for catchface ramps. It's not fast, it's not precise, and it makes a helluva mess. Not bad if you're only building one, but annoying if you end up building more.

Yeah, I usually shave down a PVC fitting to make a similar shape (similar to how the Preeminent plunger heads are built). Polycarbonate is a better solution for the long-run; being harder than PVC, it won't get scratched up. PVC ramps can get pretty scratchy feeling after a year of use.

Now, if you're buying polycarbonate from mcmaster, then you really ought to just go the extra mile and buy a nylon rod and proper skirt head seal. That type of setup will last years, with only occasional cleaning and re-lubing required.

Edited by Daniel Beaver, 31 January 2012 - 03:56 PM.

#9 Spud Spudoni

Spud Spudoni

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 07:43 PM

Although the pictures may have changed, I think they are very clear to me, as well as the writeup. It's nice to see some newer people getting into homeades. Great job!

industrial designer

#10 fogeater

fogeater

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 06:21 AM

Yeah, I usually shave down a PVC fitting to make a similar shape (similar to how the Preeminent plunger heads are built). Polycarbonate is a better solution for the long-run; being harder than PVC, it won't get scratched up. PVC ramps can get pretty scratchy feeling after a year of use.

Now, if you're buying polycarbonate from mcmaster, then you really ought to just go the extra mile and buy a nylon rod and proper skirt head seal. That type of setup will last years, with only occasional cleaning and re-lubing required.

i have put over a 100 shot through it a no problems wha so ever
see the problem is i dont live in the states and dont have axces to mcmaster

#11 Daniel Beaver

Daniel Beaver

HQRSE CQCK

• Moderators
  • 2,099 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 08:14 AM

see the problem is i dont live in the states and dont have axces to mcmaster

Me too, brodah, me too...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users