#1 Taishaku

Taishaku

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 01:09 AM

So I was looking at the brass selection on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.co...27641247&sr=1-3
http://www.amazon.co...7641247&sr=1-16

If I am not mistaken, these brass barrels nested into one another perfectly, correct?

Now, I was planning to mod a front-loading AT3K with those streamline darts that Nerf loves using for its modern clip system. I consulted the modifications directory, and I found this thread: http://nerfhaven.com...?showtopic=9368

However, this does not seem very intuitive. I understand that you need the 9/16 tubing to fit into the turret, but why would we be nesting an tighter length of 17/32 inside of it? Wouldn't this increase the friction of the barrel when you fire? Why not just use a single set of 9/16 tubing without the 17/32 nested inside? Is 9/16 tubing too loose for streamline darts or what?

Going out on a limb here... if 9/16 tubing is loose, why not just use it and nest a smaller tube (say a 17/32) behind as a way to stop front-loaded darts? That way, you have maximum barrel length and minimum barrel friction, but some tightness in the back to build up pressure.

Edited by Taishaku, 27 January 2012 - 01:22 AM.

#2 Swiftone1990

Swiftone1990

• Members
  • 40 posts
  • State:Missouri

Posted 27 January 2012 - 01:29 AM

17/32 nest quite nicely in 9/16 brass, close to airtight.
17/32 is normally the wanted barrel because its a good fit on most FBR. With the random streamlines I just picked up from my floor, 9/16 brass is a pretty dang nice air gun fit. You can use the 17/32 as just a tightening point in the back if you want, most of the PETG at2k write ups talk about how to do that one. I am not sure how long of barrels you are planning to put on it, but the streamlines took 3-4 good shakes to get them through a foot long section of the 9/16 brass, so keep that in mind with the front loading idea.
I am not retreating, I am advancing in a different direction

#3 Taishaku

Taishaku

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 02:00 AM

17/32 is normally the wanted barrel because its a good fit on most FBR. With the random streamlines I just picked up from my floor, 9/16 brass is a pretty dang nice air gun fit. You can use the 17/32 as just a tightening point in the back if you want, most of the PETG at2k write ups talk about how to do that one. I am not sure how long of barrels you are planning to put on it, but the streamlines took 3-4 good shakes to get them through a foot long section of the 9/16 brass, so keep that in mind with the front loading idea.

This really helps. I think I will do six inch barrels of 9/16 brass. Reload speed is important to me. I don't want to use a ramrod. I just want to drop them in, give it a shake, and start shooting.

And if I really want to go rear-loading, I will simply update the turret by sticking two inch segments of 17/32 into the back for tighter loading.

#4 Exo

Exo

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 01:38 PM

This really helps. I think I will do six inch barrels of 9/16 brass. Reload speed is important to me. I don't want to use a ramrod. I just want to drop them in, give it a shake, and start shooting.

And if I really want to go rear-loading, I will simply update the turret by sticking two inch segments of 17/32 into the back for tighter loading.

That's not really enough barrel length to get "good" ranges. You should check the ranges before you glue the barrels in, jsut to see if you're okay with that range. And, with it being a pump blaster, you have to consider the time it takes to ready another shot, which is also part of "reload time".

Also, you should just rear-load it right away, even if it takes a bit more work. I know that I hate doing work on blasters in segments, I like to get it all done right away. Rear-loading will be faster than tipping over the gun, and loading it from the front, even if it is airgun fit. BUT, if you follow Zaxby's mod, you will get waht is essentially each barrel couplered. They are set up so that the smaller barrels can be pulled out, then have the darts pushed into the smaller barrel, then have each barrel put back in. Kind of like speedloaders for "real" revolvers. There is no nesting action going on, it's just a plain smooth barrel, which is the 17/32". You could make a nesting effect with this, just nest 17/32" inside the 19/32" that you're already going to use for your barrels, then use 9/16" in place of Zaxby's 19/32". Then you would have the same effect that you're looking for with your future visions of rearloading, but without the turret work. You'll have to make a barrel spacer, but you'd have to do that in either case. I would suggest that you talk to Venom213? about buying a barrel spacer, you coul could get the templates on here somewhere, and make one yourself.

Also, airguns don't need pressure build up as much as springers do. They're already at "maximum pressure", just not at maximum airflow.

Brass is going to be expensive, you're looking at what, 3 feet? already? Unless you want to use this for HvZ, I would save the blaster until you are using stefans or slugs, and until you have better barreling options. And there are MUCH better blasters for Hvz.

Edited by Exo, 27 January 2012 - 01:47 PM.

#5 SomethingNerfey

SomethingNerfey

• Members
  • 47 posts
  • State:Michigan

Posted 27 January 2012 - 03:01 PM

17/32nds brass fits into 9/16ths brass airtight. Perfectly airtight.

#6 Bchamp22795

Bchamp22795

• Members
  • 209 posts
  • State:Illinois

Posted 27 January 2012 - 07:55 PM

17/32nds brass fits into 9/16ths brass airtight. Perfectly airtight.

No it isn't. "Perfectly Airtight" would be able to hold pressure like an air tank. Brass does not. Even if it seems air tight, it doesn't beat rubber/neoprene (o-rings, u-cups, skirt seals, rubber washers) or adhesive sealants like plumbers goop.

#7 Taishaku

Taishaku

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 09:03 PM

@Exo
I see. How much barrel length would you recommend?

So... the 9/16 segments are being glued to the turret base and the 17/32 are detachable. I just need to get two barrel spacers, glue the 17/32s to them, and then I can pull the barrels out for rear-loading? This seems to be an acceptable alternative to front-loading.

Just wondering though, can this be accomplished with just 9/16 barrels? (That is, I keep 3 inches of the original orange turret and nest the brass into them. Or is the seal not good enough?)

I am using brass because that's all I can get my hands on. (Unless someone is selling PETG? Then I can apply that neat trick I read about here.) I also prefer to keep the barrel at a uniform size, since the brass that I am looking at sells in bundles of three (each unit is one foot long).

Edited by Taishaku, 27 January 2012 - 09:29 PM.

#8 Curly

Curly

• Members
  • 201 posts
  • State:Ontario

Posted 27 January 2012 - 09:21 PM

Rearloading slotted 3Ks are much better in my opinion, since they only need two hands to reload unlike removable barrels and clips. You reload faster and use less brass, why not? Dropping darts in the front and having them reach the back means your dart fit stinks and it's costing you range. Most people use 12" barrels in pump plugged 3Ks, but experimentation doesn't hurt. With 12" barrels they can easily reach 140' with glue domes. You might want to contact your local war hosts before gluing any barrels in place. Shorter should lower ranges enough if that's an issue.

Brass itself is a bit expensive, most .572OD .528ID PETG (the usual stuff) is a perfect replacement for 9/16" barrels and is much lighter, which is important in turreted blasters. Depending on your foam you might want to use MIG's tightening rings or 17/32" stubs. PETG is often in the trading threads, but if you can't find some try FA24's website he sells PETG and awesome foam that fits it for both airguns and springers.

#9 Taishaku

Taishaku

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 10:45 PM

It costs ~$35 to ship 10 feet of PETG to California from Forsaken Angel. ><

I made a post in the trading thread, but it looks increasingly likely that I will have to resort to brass. The weight will be an issue with a one foot barrel though. =\

#10 Nerfomania

Nerfomania

• Members
  • 207 posts
  • State:Georgia

Posted 27 January 2012 - 10:57 PM

It costs ~$35 to ship 10 feet of PETG to California from Forsaken Angel. ><

I made a post in the trading thread, but it looks increasingly likely that I will have to resort to brass. The weight will be an issue with a one foot barrel though. =\

This is a stupid price. I can get 4 ft lengths pf PETG from McMaster-Carr for $1.43 or so. You should ask around locally for people who have PETG, There are ALOT of nerfers in California!
20:45 Talio I'll have the talk with you
20:45 Talio penis in vagina
20:45 Talio fin

#11 Exo

Exo

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 07:29 PM

Yeah, FA's in canada. My recommendations are 1' lengths of petg, with nesting if you wish, and rear loading. That is the typical way to do it, and you'll have a very nice primary. I would also look at DanB's dissertation on trigger mods, maybe back a page or so, before you do anything to the trigger.

The "clipped" turret is a nice idea, but it would be heavy to carry a lot of those things, and bulky at 1' long.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users