If TL:DR, skip to materials.
So, while looking at one of my many broken mavericks with the normal terrible ranges next to my 70ft shooting NF, i wondered if i could make a Maverick as effective as a NF.
3 attempts later (and a completely broken recon - 20lbs of spring force into a reverse plunger is not good -) i think i maye have cracked it.
This is something that will be continually updated - especially if i decide to make custom internals.
Materials & Tools
1x Recon bolt assembly
Deadspace filling foam
3" 17/32 brass
1/2" 1/2 brass (optional)
Materials from substitute priming mech (optional)
Get your stock maverick and open her up.
Remove the turret, the rotation mech, and cut along the shell along the blue line, just where the turret holding arms meet the main body of the shell.
Leave in this part of the rotation mech to stabilise the trigger and replace your main springs / catch spring.
Cut the recon along the main seam, leaving the part that is normally inside the plunger tube - about 3" long. Put on your new O-Ring and add teflon tape if needed to give the best seal your springs can manage in the maverick plunger tube (mine is about 80%). I put a thin layer of hot glue on the back of the Maverick plunger tube to help with breakages and give some precompression.
Sand down your 3" of 17/32 brass and insert it inside the recon bolt so it fits along the whole length without poking out of the back. You may have to sand the brass first - or the inside of the bolt to get it to fit. Glue it in securely - i used Gorilla Glue.
Put the Maverick plunger tube back in the blaster and insert the recon bolt so it pokes out of the shell. Fill deadspace with foam and then add the other shell cover.
Reassemble the blaster and secure the recon bolt to the outside of the maverick shell with hot glue (or epoxy if you're feeling uber cool) to stop the bolt moving. A streamline dart should just come up to the lip of the bolt for reference.
Ranges are about 50ft with screamers and about 55-60 with stefans FLAT.
EDIT: i added a 1/2" stub of 1/2 brass into the 17/32 barrel (inserted only 1/4") to give a better grip on my screamers and taggers.
Edited by ThatBritishGuy, 25 January 2012 - 03:26 PM.