Photo

The UTorrent (Rear loading, CPVC, Spring addition Torrent)

Torrent, Rear Loading, CPVC, Spring

8 replies to this topic

#1 The Nerfaholic

The Nerfaholic

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 11:20 PM

Now that Megauploads down a few people may actually get the pun with the name.

But onto the mod.

This is a Buzz Bee Torrent, they can be found at Target for $14.98. At first they get 25'-30'. Mine had a messed up seal so I decided to fix it up TO THE MAX. I will be doing Jerms mod for CPVC barrels, only I will take out the black piece in the back, as well as make them rear loading capable. I will also add a spring that I'm almost positive was from a Home Depot spring pack, but is very similar to a Longshot Frontgun spring I got in a trade not too long ago.

Posted Image

Start with the gun. Picture belongs to Target.com, I have it here to show proof it's still an available gun.

You can take off the green part if you would like, this steps optional and there is a few screws in the back of it.

Open up your gun, for once a gun with a reasonable amount of screws. You may have to apply a little force and it will have to make a snapping noise, but don't worry, it's just put together really well.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Now look at this part.

See the hole?
In there is a tiny screw.
You have to slide the black bar back a bit with your thumb but it's easy to get to.
Posted Image

Unscrew that and keep track of it. It's slightly shorter than the other screws, I doubt it'd cause much trouble to use a different screw in the wrong place, but let's keep it in case.

After removing that screw the whole turret just lifts out, grab it from the turret, though that goes without saying.
Posted Image
Now that that's out, you can carefully remove the Plunger Tube.

Posted Image

Here I took out the spring, and put in a thin Home Depot spring and a Maverick spring, but most other springs would work. These worked nicely though.
The stock spring is brown ish, much like a Double shot. My springs;
I also replaced the stock O-ring with a NiteFinder O-ring. It surprisingly gave it a perfect seal, as in, if I have one hand on the opening of it, I can't push the rod farther in or out it at all.
Posted Image

Duct tape tape the head.

Posted Image

Keep wrapping.

Posted Image
Now we're going to want to make the seal larger. We'll use craft foam and to cover a large enough portion of the "shell' so that it's larger than a Stefan. When I say enough to cover the shell, I mean the orange shell, not the gun itself's shell.

Posted Image

As you can see, after I did that I drilled down it to increase the airflow.

Posted Image

After that, we'll wrap a layer of craft foam around it, and then cover it in duct tape, I chose to use red duct tape here.

That's it for the seal. Now to do the part for the shells.

Posted Image

Drill these out with a 9/16th drill bit.

There we go. All that's left in the shells is the lame black part.
To get closer, let's cut along here, I drew a red line.

Posted Image

Right towards the middle.

Posted Image

Sand it out, which for the black piece if you want to be lazy I guess you could wait to put some cpvc in it, as it would just need to be sanded a bit and wouldn't spin around while sanding. Also you could always pry it out with tweezers.

Posted Image

Slap some cpvc in, around 1.5". It should slide in with a little force but not be loose.

Now you have 1.5" barrels, they could be longer if you'd like that, but that seems good enough for me.
Now to work on the turret itself.

In the back part of the turret, there is a white piece with a screw in it. This ejects the shells. DESTROY IT.... Or, you know, just unscrew and move it.
Posted Image

The new Plunger Tube head wont fit in the back of the shell, so let's dremal/sand it a little larger. Note, this doesn't have to be an exact cut at all, nor do any other cuts for this mod.

Posted Image

Make the top cut for the PT larger.

I also marked and cut where the shells would go on the bottom and sides, and sanded them a little so that the darts could rear load into the shells..

Posted Image

Put everything back together, don't forget the little tiny screw, and your gun should look like this (with the shell half off)

Posted Image

And the finished product;

Posted Image

Ranges? 40'+ easily with HD slugs.
52-54' Pink foam slugs

Questions? Comments? Tips?

Edited by The Nerfaholic, 28 January 2012 - 10:54 PM.

Roses are red, And violets are blue. One day we'll cruise down Blood Gulch avenue.

#2 Swiftone1990

Swiftone1990

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 11:35 PM

Very nice. Do you think you could install barrels that extend to the front of the shell?
I am not retreating, I am advancing in a different direction

#3 Papershruiken

Papershruiken

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 05:07 AM

Very nice. Do you think you could install barrels that extend to the front of the shell?

If you extended them all of the way to the front, then it wouldn't rotate.

#4 The Nerfaholic

The Nerfaholic

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 07:12 AM

You could dremal the front of the turret a little and super glue the shells in to have a maximum barrel length of a little under 3. But without cutting at the shell that's as far as you can go.
Roses are red, And violets are blue. One day we'll cruise down Blood Gulch avenue.

#5 meatballica

meatballica

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 10:18 AM

Do you think a plunger tube replacement would be possible?
"You've waged your war on nerves, but you can't crush the kingdom."

#6 Exo

Exo

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 11:14 AM

Do you think a plunger tube replacement would be possible?

I'm going to say no, just because there are structures that are related to the normal priming motion of the blaster that are attatched to the PT,so you would either have to make it a pullback, (which would drastically slow the entire thing down and removes the main point of this blaster) or make a lot of other stuff to get it to work. Same for exteneded draw, that would be pretty hard to do.

What you could do is cut off almost all of the back of this, and attatch it to something like a pumpsnap with some other modifications, and then try to sync up the new pump action with the old stroke, but there are a lot of much cheaper options to that, like making a clip breech for a pumpsnap.

#7 Aeromech

Aeromech

• Moderators
  • 434 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 12:41 AM

Ranges? 40'+ easily with slugs. It's not too good, but the Plunger Tube on this thing is only a tiny bit larger than a Mav.

I feel like a blaster with this much presence should have a better performance than this. Do you have a too tight/ too loose barrel fit? Is the plunger adequately lubricated? Could this handle a heavier spring with proper E-putty reinforcement in the priming handle and internals? (Similar to the heavy reinforcement of quadshots.)

You have a great idea here; the little details are where improvements could be made.

Edited by Aeromech, 26 January 2012 - 12:41 AM.

Watch my shitty videos

This is so ghetto but so awesome.

#8 The lord of fish

The lord of fish

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 01:36 AM

You can totes fit in a bigger plunger tube, you just have to off set the plunger head, check this
Do you think she'll sleep with a panic switch?

#9 The Nerfaholic

The Nerfaholic

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 02:04 PM

It's mostly the dart fit. I have really bad darts. Also I didn't want to claim the range on the highest dart, as this was for a contest and I don't want my range to seem rigged.

Edit: Using pink foam slugs I'm getting 54'. Using pink foam domes I'm hitting 58' but they skid. My old darts sucked.

Edited by The Nerfaholic, 28 January 2012 - 10:39 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users