E3

Anyone go?

12 replies to this topic

#1 Gamefreak

Gamefreak

• Members
  • 362 posts

Posted 22 May 2004 - 01:17 AM

Well my brother got to go to E3 this year and see the PSP and DS, play all sorts of awesomw games and so forth. Did anyone here have this experince as well?
Gamertag : Corpseoftheyear

QUOTE(substance abuse)
No offense but soldat has to be the worst game ever made
Like anyone could even know that, GOSH.

#2 Ice Nine

Ice Nine

Prince Dangus

• Administrators
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 22 May 2004 - 08:57 AM

Hell yeah.

I didn't go, but we had someone stay at our house who went for all three days. He was part of the press, so he got to see and do stuff that no one else did. He got to plaly with the PSP against other people. He did the same thing with the DS. He only had a ten-minute wait to play Halo 2, and he tried Killzone. He tried a lot of the Nintendo games, including Metroid Prime 2: Echos.

So, here's another question: Which will do better, out of the DS, PSP, and the N-Gage QD or whatever the fuck the initials are?

Being a Nintendo fan, I think the DS will do better. So did Paul, the market analyst staying with us. He said it was cheaper (anywhere from $100-$150), was backwards-compadable with the Game Boy games, and had a really good interface. He said that the touch screen worked really well, as did the wireless hook-up.

I got so much swag from him.

I got a G4 TV t-shirt, a Killzone poster, a "Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow" poster with Angalina Jolie on it, the ENTIRE press kit Nintendo released (with all of their sofware, hardware, and special things that are coming in the next year), a Sony binder, a 1up.com necklace/light up thing, a Nintendo stylus for use with the DS, a Sony USB drive (16 megs), and about five different gaming magazines (EGM, GMR, GameStar (this was their premire magazine release), Tips and Tricks, and CGM). I also got a whole buncha stickers for some games, and some big bags with different company logos on them.

<edit> Oh yeah. I also got three PS2 demo disks. MLB 2004, FIFA 2004, and another baseball game I can't remember. </edit>

Edited by Ice Nine, 22 May 2004 - 10:09 AM.

Unholy Three: DUPLUM SCRTA, DUPLUM PROBLEMA (2009)

But Zeke guns tend to be like proofs by contradiction

Theoretically solid but actually non-constructive

Rnbw Cln

#3 Gamefreak

Gamefreak

• Members
  • 362 posts

Posted 22 May 2004 - 11:01 AM

Nice. He got to play HALO 2 ?!!? Lucky. Three of my brothers friends went with him, and 2 of them played the DS. I personally am waiting for the PSP 'cause it has Dreamcast to PS2 graphics, and they're gonna release movies on the UMDs. And about the QD as a joke I heard it stood for "Quick Do over"
Gamertag : Corpseoftheyear

QUOTE(substance abuse)
No offense but soldat has to be the worst game ever made
Like anyone could even know that, GOSH.

#4 Spectre2689

Spectre2689

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 22 May 2004 - 11:15 AM

All I've seen are videos from E3, from all the lucky little shits who got to go. Some year I'll go down there...some year.

As for the handheld war, the PSP is going to win hands-down. Reasoning? Multiple uses. Music, videos, games... What does the DS have? Two screens. Why the hell does one need two screens? A bit confusing if you ask me. The N-Gage...Gamefreak said is best...Quick Do-over.
Spectre of the CFM

#5 CustomSnake202

CustomSnake202

• Members
  • 506 posts

Posted 22 May 2004 - 11:55 AM

Why the hell does one need two screens?

The DS is supposedly going to incoparate the second screen in the gameplay by making it touch screen. They already knew people wouldn't like the idea of having two screens, but just wait and see how nicely it will work out. Despite this new idea, I too think the PSP will be the victor. It looks extemely well built and will have mp3 playback, wireless connections, usb, and 333 MHz. I can't wait until it comes out. I better get a job at target!

#6 Ice Nine

Ice Nine

Prince Dangus

• Administrators
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 22 May 2004 - 07:00 PM

I personally think the DS will win.

I'm not really going for a handheld that sells for $400 and up.

Rnbw Cln

#7 spazkake

spazkake

• Banned
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 May 2004 - 11:14 PM

anyone who is in for the psp is a fool. it has no new and inovative features. good graphics and only 2 games that arnt ports so far. whopity crap movies. as mr.miamoto himself said, "games and their graphics have gotten to a point where a slight graphic update will not be what makes anything good. the future of gaming is in inovation." the ds features games like animal crossing ds where you have your game on the top screen and a keybord to talk to other people and players on the bottom. or metroid prime:hunter, where you use the screen to shoot, strafe and turn around quickly. the voice recognition is also usefull for online play, which many people think that nintendo has up its sleeve for the ds using similar technolagy to what phones use for mobile e-mail. the price is just another little bonus, personally id pay 400 for ds, but not psp. nintendo all the way, they are the game gods.
[FONT=Geneva][SIZE=14][COLOR=red]NERF

#8 CustomSnake202

CustomSnake202

• Members
  • 506 posts

Posted 22 May 2004 - 11:39 PM

The PSP is going to be a good if not great hanheld. Ya, I know nintendo is a great company with great games, but you have to consider everything that Playstation has done. They have popular games like gran turismo, the gta's, final fantasy, socom, and much more. I myself hate the PS2 for the most part, but they do come out with amazing games like I just mentioned. So wouldn't it be nice to play the new metal gear solid or gran turismo on the road? As for the DS, I have seen the display model, and I really don't like the design at all. It's not that I don't like two screens, it's just to bland and ugly. If they do some remodeling or changes, which they already could be doing, then good. But anyway, the psp will be ideal for PS2 owners and people who have never played PS2. Don't think it's garbage before it even comes out; I don't think that of the DS.

#9 Ice Nine

Ice Nine

Prince Dangus

• Administrators
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 23 May 2004 - 08:12 AM

They have popular games like gran turismo, the gta's, final fantasy, socom, and much more.

That's kinda funny. Nintendo has popular games too. Like Mario, Metroid, Star Fox (could be included), and FINAL FANTASY. Yeah, Square Enix is a multi-platform developer. Ever heard of FF: Crystal Chronicals? Yeah, that's a Final Fantasy game. Some of the games that you mentioned are from multi-platform developers.

Rockstar games is multi-platform, too. They are currently making a GRAND THEFT AUTO for the GBA. Hmm. Wait, that was on your list too. I repeat. SOME OF THOSE DEVELOPERS ARE NOT, I repeat, NOT ONLY FOR SONY. They make games for others, too.

SOCOM? Meh. Didn't like it very much.

Gran Turismo was great. But how could something compare to Mario Kart, and F-Zero?

<edit> I agree. The DS looks funky. But it seems much more gamer-friendly then the PSP. As I said before, I sure as hell ain't payin' $400+ for a portable game/movie/music system. For that, I'll just buy a Game Boy and a portable DVD player off eBay, and still have money left over. I already have an iPod, so the music part is worthless to me.

The person that went played both systems. He said he liked the DS more. He said it had great controlls, and the touchpad was a nice feature. He also liked how Nintendo was porting some of the best games that they ever made onto the system, such as Mario 64 and Metroid.
He said that the PSP had the nicest screen he'd ever seen, but we both agreed it was only like that for moves. </edit>

Edited by Ice Nine, 23 May 2004 - 08:19 AM.

Rnbw Cln

#10 flinch

flinch

• Banned
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 May 2004 - 03:15 PM

[quote name='Ice Nine' date='May 23 2004, 05:12 AM'] [QUOTE=Gran Turismo was great. But how could something compare to Mario Kart, and F-Zero?
. [/QUOTE]

[/quote]
amen.
somebody dipped their dart in acid i see... oh. ok.
now it burns. ok now my hands off. oh god now this is getting fricking crazy.

#11 flinch

flinch

• Banned
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 May 2004 - 03:20 PM

the voice recognition is also usefull for online play, which many people think that nintendo has up its sleeve for the ds using similar technolagy to what phones use for mobile e-mail.

That would be just great, seeing as how the N-GAGE *washes mouth with soap for dirty language of the crap handheld* had somewhat anywhere play but it was really laggy and had only crap games to play and nobody was there to play with since nobody payed 150 for a garbage system.
somebody dipped their dart in acid i see... oh. ok.
now it burns. ok now my hands off. oh god now this is getting fricking crazy.

#12 Formerly Sane

Formerly Sane

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 23 May 2004 - 07:19 PM

Obviously people are going to be pulled to the PSP because of the success of its company's consoles , but I agree that the DS probably has better features. If the second screen is properly utilized to its full potential, it can really add a whole new dimention to the games. Plus Nintendo has created 5 handheld games so far so they know what they're doing.

For me though, two things really convinced me to watch the DS closely. First, the backwards compatability. I don't really want to waste the 8 or 9 GBA games that I already have. Secondly, the price. If I buy a game system, it would be nice to have it play movies and music, but I don't want to pay an extra $200 for it.

Here is the section of the nintendo site with all the info for the DS.

I don't feel like looking up the PSP right now.
NERF: www.CYCLONENERF.netfirms.com
FLASH: www.thinkhappy.netfirms.com
BAND: www.skwalrock.com

#13 UpGraD3

UpGraD3

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 23 May 2004 - 10:00 PM

It will depend on the costs for me. If you psp is like 150 to 200 dollars then I'll get that. But the UMD disks can hold 2 hours of dvd quality.
"Is luck a loser's excuse for a winners position?"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users