• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 04:29 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

An idea I had a while ago, cut slits in PETG and wrap it tightly in electrical tape. With the ID of the PETG smaller, you can have a constricted section of the barrel that allows the air pressure in the plunger to build before firing the dart. I modded my Triple Shot and tested it with a normal PETG barrel and this barrel, and I definitely got improved results of about 5-10 feet. I encourage you to try this and see if you get similar results. I already wrote up a short Triple Shot mod and more details about the contricted barrel for NW, now we're just waiting for Grinch to post it. Feedback?

Edited by Vassili, 20 May 2004 - 04:29 PM.

Foam Fortress Co-Webmaster

#2 seirus

seirus

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 04:32 PM

Speaking of PETG, where can you buy it? And to stay on topic, what are the physics behind that? Do the slits act as a method of gas dispertion so that the dart won't wobble in flight?
Yeah, life sucks, but it does guarantee a trip around the sun every 365 days.

#3 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 04:39 PM

Cool technique.

Serius, he's just cutting slits in the barrel so that the e-tape can shrink the ID. We use a smaller ID at the base of spring guns to hold the dart there until the plunger gets up some steam and builds up enough pressure to pop it out.

The best place to buy PETG is from Iron Rhino, PM him for the details. The good stuff is only available in bulk from the distributor so I bought 1100' and shipped him a bunch to distribute in smaller quantities.

I'll give that a try the next time I'm playing with a spring gun.
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#4 seirus

seirus

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 04:44 PM

Ah, nifty. Thanks cxwq.

#5 THIRST

THIRST

• Members
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 05:06 PM

Only problem I can see with that is that the insides will be rough on the back, allowing air to seep around the dart.

THIRST
ko

#6 seirus

seirus

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 05:13 PM

Yeah. An afterthought though is that when modding an smxx 5K, assuming the petg was spread wide enough, you wouldn't have to use a pvc coupler as a base to attatch the barrel. So there's one good reason.

#7 Grinch

Grinch

• Members
  • 642 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 06:39 PM

See the full mod here.
Webmaster of Nerf World

Previously mrgrinch_nm!

#8 THIRST

THIRST

• Members
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 21 May 2004 - 06:23 AM

People have gotten better ranges with multi-barreled Triple shots, cpvc'd and brassed.

THIRST
ko

#9 Ice Nine

Ice Nine

Prince Dangus

• Administrators
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 21 May 2004 - 08:13 AM

Jeez, Thirst, he was just showing us a new idea. What if we have PETG, but no brass handy, like me? What if your darts don't fucking FIT in CPVC, like mine?

Great job, Vassili. I'm gonna try it on my NF when I get one.

Unholy Three: DUPLUM SCRTA, DUPLUM PROBLEMA (2009)

But Zeke guns tend to be like proofs by contradiction

Theoretically solid but actually non-constructive

Rnbw Cln

#10 Vassili

Vassili

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 21 May 2004 - 09:10 AM

My Triple Shot now gets 55' after I've gooped in the barrels. Maybe people have claimed better ranges, but if you look at Cxwq's First Shot Mod, someone who's results I trust on a gun with extremely similar, if not the same, plunger and spring, you'll see very similar results.
Foam Fortress Co-Webmaster

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users