One of the traditional mods performed on the SuperMAXX and Airtech series is the replacement of the trigger spring either with a piece of a bic pen, or a wad of hot glue. Here's an example from Ryan's Airtech 3000 overhaul:
The usual justification for trigger mods is that they allow you to open the valve quickly by pulling the trigger very fast. Some people have countered that this mod accomplishes nothing. In the interest of SCIENCE, I tested this supposition using my SuperMAXX 1500 and my chronograph. I singled the blaster using a 12" length of CPVC gooped onto the tank stub, and plugged the pump. The darts I used were regular slugs, and they fit fairly loosely in CPVC (they won't fall through, but are very easily blown down into the tube). I first tested ten shots using the standard trigger setup, then swapped in a section of bic pen and did another ten shots. The pump was a little finicky, so I only recorded results where I felt a "firm" 5 pumps (otherwise the shot were underpowered). A better way to test this would be to use a compressor to regulate the PSI, but this method seemed consistent enough. You can see my internal setup below.
There is no significant difference in muzzle velocity between these two trigger setups when using an SM1500.
Edited by Daniel Beaver, 06 January 2012 - 04:45 PM.