Scope

sm1500 is annoying sometimes

27 replies to this topic

#1 AirApache

AirApache

• Members
  • 743 posts

Posted 16 May 2004 - 06:02 PM

Alright. I know this topic has been discussed before, and I totally agree that scope's are basically useless for Nerf, as it isn't really necessary. However, my main weapon, the sm1500, has a really REALLY tough time aiming because of the way the gun is made. I figured that I should make a scope for just this gun to at LEAST be able to shoot in the general area. As the sm1500 can shoot quite far for a multibarreled gun, I figured that it may even work as a precision instrument up to 30-40 feet.
Basically, for anyone who uses the sm1500, you know what the feeling is like when you need to shoot at something with some amount of accuracy.
Click here to see what I've done.
-AirApache
Indiana '11

#2 Vintage

Vintage

• Members
  • 462 posts

Posted 16 May 2004 - 06:15 PM

I am sorry, I can't see your picture. All I get is a black screen.

I once added a scope to my ball valve homemade. I made a crosshair over the end of a section of 1" pvc.

I found it worked better to just aim along the barrel with that gun. I have never shot an sm 1500, so maybe a scope is the way to go.

~Vintage
You can get much further with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone
~Al Capone

#3 AirApache

AirApache

• Members
  • 743 posts

Posted 16 May 2004 - 06:24 PM

That's odd...I'll post the picture's here, while you read the stuff on the site.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

EDIT: Used Vintage's links. Thanks Vintage!
-AirApache

Edited by AirApache, 16 May 2004 - 06:45 PM.

Indiana '11

#4 Vintage

Vintage

• Members
  • 462 posts

Posted 16 May 2004 - 06:39 PM

Dang those pictures are massive. Edit your post, and put these links inside your bb code images:

Pic 1: "http://img11.imagesh.../sm1500ALL.jpg"
Pic 2: "http://img11.imagesh...m1500blur2.jpg"
Pic 3: "http://img11.imagesh...1500scope1.jpg"
Pic 4: "http://img11.imagesh...pe2_target.jpg"
Pic 5: "http://img11.imagesh...scopeblur1.jpg"

Thanks,

~Vintage

Edited by Vintage, 16 May 2004 - 06:42 PM.

You can get much further with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone
~Al Capone

#5 Warlock

Warlock

• Members
  • 250 posts

Posted 16 May 2004 - 07:01 PM

Dude, I don't know about you but my 1500 is pretty fuckin accurate. Ask the people I nerf with. I can hit people from a good distance, no need for a "scope."

Edited by Warlock, 16 May 2004 - 07:01 PM.

~§~ Warlock ~§~ Of the Lawn Chair Mafia ~§~

"It's so hard to be a fighter when your hands are always tied"
~"Señor Limpio" by Corrosion Of Conformity

Metal Gear?!

#6 AirApache

AirApache

• Members
  • 743 posts

Posted 16 May 2004 - 07:11 PM

When I refer to "accuracy" I'm not questioning how 'straight' the gun shoots. It shoots extremely straight, and, like you, it can hit people from a far distance. Maybe the word should be 'aim' instead (I think that's what I used before). Let's use the NF for an example. You can aim easily on this gun because of the things on top, and the light (not necessary). But for the sm1500 you either do it by pointing in the general area, or using that green thing on top. But it's annoying because:
1)It block's the view of what you want to aim at.
2)It's hard to tell how high or low your aiming.
3)It annoys me.

Edited by AirApache, 16 May 2004 - 07:11 PM.

Indiana '11

#7 NinjZ

NinjZ

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 16 May 2004 - 07:14 PM

you dont need that long of a scope since your not magnafying teh target. a good 1/2in to an inch should be good enough. put it back by where your eye would be when you hold it up to aim. really all you need is an aiming sight, not a scope.

also can i ask what that crayola marker is for taped onto the side??

#8 Nazgul Lord

Nazgul Lord

• Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 16 May 2004 - 08:42 PM

Im guessing thats some sort of ammo holder. ^_^
Nazgul Lord of the CFM

#9 Vintage

Vintage

• Members
  • 462 posts

Posted 16 May 2004 - 08:57 PM

I agree with NinjZ. The scope should be shorter. There are two reasons for this that I can think of:

A long scope is not necessary for target aquisition.
A short scope gives your eyes a good view of things that are not in the scope, allowing you to see alot more than when your vision is narrowed by a long scope.

Two good reasons for using the long scope are that it seems easier to mount it straight on your gun and it gives it a more "loser" look. So it's really up to you what's best for the gun.

Edit:

Im guessing thats some sort of ammo holder.  ^_^

It's a ramrod.

~Vintage

Edited by Vintage, 16 May 2004 - 10:42 PM.

~Al Capone

#10 NinjZ

NinjZ

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 16 May 2004 - 11:23 PM

OHHH a ram-rod! vintage wins the cookie! haha.

#11 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 10:20 AM

It's a sight.
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#12 Vintage

Vintage

• Members
  • 462 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 10:50 AM

It's a sight.

You were referring to the pvc on top I think. Yes it would be classified as a sight.

You confused me when you posted this right after we were talking about the marker taped onto the side of the gun. That marker is a ramrod as AirApache stated in the link in his first post.

~Vintage
~Al Capone

#13 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 11:27 AM

Yes, I was talking about the piece of PVC adhered to the top of the gun.

A tube with crosshairs is not a scope, it's a sight. In response to the first post, nobody has ever said that sights aren't useful in nerf. What people don't think is useful is the magnification that scopes provide. I don't completely agree with that assessment, but that's another story entirely.

#14 Suave

Suave

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 01:11 PM

I suppose that's nifty if you need it. I've got a multibarreled 1500, you just have to learn how to shoot it.

#15 AirApache

AirApache

• Members
  • 743 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 08:47 PM

Oh, thanks cx. I guess your right, it's called a sight.

Alright! I took it off, and now I need some strong, reasonable input. I'm using some of the stuff that you guys posted for the advantages. Some of my options currently are:
1)Put it back on the way it was.
-"accuracy"(not that it really matters..it's the stefan that does)
-cosmetic looks(looks pretty cool :cry: )
2)Make it close to me, and make it shorter.
-has more use, as it's a general sight
-wider area of vision
3)Remove it completely.
-just make a good estimate of where to shoot
-no need to hold it in an awkward position

Let me know your input. If you have a better idea, let me know. I won't do a poll simply because people express their views better when writing someting, instead of choosing a preset option. Thanks.
-AirApache
Indiana '11

#16 Vintage

Vintage

• Members
  • 462 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 09:11 PM

I personally would put some sort of tall thin post at the end of the barrel and use that to aim with.

The problem with crosshairs, is that nerf guns don't shoot in a perfect straight path. They arc. So, the horizontal line in the sight only helps at one range. All you really need is a vertical line to align your shot with.

Make it as tall as is comfortable to aim across the top at a target at around 40-50 ft.

~Vintage
~Al Capone

#17 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 09:13 PM

My personal opinion is that the more you use a particular gun, the more you instinctively know where it's going to shoot. I can fire my at3ks from the hip just as accurately as if I had sighted down the barrels. Likewise, my EaBs are quite deadly even on the run - mainly just because I've used them so damn much that I fire based on muscle memory more than anything.

My LnL on the other hand... /sigh/

#18 AirApache

AirApache

• Members
  • 743 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 09:25 PM

The idea of choosing a different main assault weapon is quite appealing to me. However, I've heard that the sm1500 has better ranges than the multi-barreled at3k. Also, I’d like to stick with the sm1500 until I can pool together more money. Maybe if I practice enough with it I’ll achieve the kind of instinct aiming that you have. :cry: I still don’t know if I should keep a sight on it though, if only for cosmetics.
-AirApache
Indiana '11

#19 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 11:24 PM

I still don’t know if I should keep a sight on it though, if only for cosmetics.

Cosmetics is a really bad reason to have something glued on your gun. Best case scenario, it doesn't get in the way and only makes your gun slightly heavier.

But then I tend to be a relative Nerf purist. I remove things from guns but tend to add very little other than replacement barrels and other functional items. The ammo holder on my EaB was an abberation - which I have since removed anyhow.

Regarding instinctive aiming, I don't think it matters what gun you're using as long as you practice with it enough. You should eventually get a feel for it. That said, some people seem better suited to particular guns so it's possible that you end up with something that you just feel a whole lot more comfortable with.

My multi-barrel at3k 'only' gets 76' flat, but is accurate as hell and has an extremely high ROF. Not a bad tradeoff considering you're not all that likely to actually be shooting at people more than 50' away. At those ranges, dart variance, wind, and dodging become big factors.

#20 Suave

Suave

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 12:07 AM

My personal opinion is that the more you use a particular gun, the more you instinctively know where it's going to shoot. I can fire my at3ks from the hip just as accurately as if I had sighted down the barrels. Likewise, my EaBs are quite deadly even on the run - mainly just because I've used them so damn much that I fire based on muscle memory more than anything.

My LnL on the other hand... /sigh/

Aye sir!

That's what I tried to say. Thanks for being more eloquent.

I've learned to shoot my 1500 pretty darn accurately. But like CX said, I can't shoot an AT2k to save my life. Well, I've practiced with it a little more, but I'm still not very good with it.

#21 Pineapple

Pineapple

Old-school Admin

• Contributors
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 01:35 AM

Practice, practice, practice.

That's the idea. And practice not only prone, bench resting, trying to smack a soda can from 100 feet away. Practice on the run, practice while backing away, from behind cover and around corners. And at close ranges, too.

If you need a sight, a peep ring works okay for me. Simply a 3/8" slice of tubing hot glued to the end of my PVC barreled 5000 and it's good to go. Even then it's pretty much 50-50 at distances over 50' because of the factors cx just mentioned. Not only that, but it does get knocked off every now and then, too.

As long as you have some kind of reference point on your blaster, and you practice enough with it where you're comfortable with hitting things at realistic ranges, you'll be a happy puppy.

In the past, the aiming systems on Nerf blasters have been disappointing, at best (especially with the SuperMaxx and Air Tech series), I think Hasbro has heard our longings for a reasonable Nerf blaster sight; the Tech Target has a small but usable one, and the Nite Finder has a much more pronounced one in addition to the cool red light (which is a plus or minus depending on what you use it for). Perhaps the new Fall offerings will reflect this trend, and have still more "user-friendly" sighting.

-Piney-
-Piney- of White Dog Hobbies Armory

<!--quoteo(post=209846:date=Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM:name=boom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(boom @ Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
It's to bad you live in hawaii I bet there are not many wars there.Wait what am I saying<b> you live in hawaii you lucky bastard.</b>
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#22 NinjZ

NinjZ

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 02:39 AM

i was just thinking you could even set a sighting like on alot fo the HK smgs/rifles, such as the MP5 series. search on google to see what they look like if you dont know. you could make one by putting a small 1/2in peace of pvc in the back, then another in the front with a little nail or screw drilled/hammered in half way through the front ring ( to make a sort of peep site ). To aim it, you line up the front ring, into the back ring, and aim the middle of the peg on the target. again, look it up on google if you dont understand.

edit: I agree with the above statemeants as well, just practice alot, me and my friend like to shoot homemade targets in the backyard. ive gotten so good at aiming my x-bow, anything within 100' of me is toast, though my x-bow is about 95% accurate, so that helps alot.

Edited by NinjZ, 18 May 2004 - 02:46 AM.

#23 AirApache

AirApache

• Members
  • 743 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 12:16 PM

Practice, practice, practice.

That's the idea. And practice not only prone, bench resting, trying to smack a soda can from 100 feet away. Practice on the run, practice while backing away, from behind cover and around corners. And at close ranges, too.

I'll stick with just removing the green top thing then. You all have a lot more experience than I, so I'll take your word on it. Thanks.
-AirApache
Indiana '11

#24 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 12:19 PM

practice ... from behind cover and around corners.

Camper.

<g>

#25 Pineapple

Pineapple

Old-school Admin

• Contributors
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 12:25 PM

practice ... from behind cover and around corners.

Camper.

<g>

Don't mean to post uselessly, but you made me fall off my chair laughing.

<g>

Thanks,

-Piney-
-Piney- of White Dog Hobbies Armory

<!--quoteo(post=209846:date=Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM:name=boom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(boom @ Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
It's to bad you live in hawaii I bet there are not many wars there.Wait what am I saying<b> you live in hawaii you lucky bastard.</b>
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users