• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 11:01 PM

Quick, dirty, easy and cheap mod for the SSPB:

Tools:
Screwdriver
Drill or dremel
Saw or dremel
Adhesive strong enough to hold pressure (epoxy, pvc cement, gorilla glue? etc)

Materials:
Secret strike pocket blast $0.25 from a thrift store, 2.99 full retail new.
Tank: Vinyl tube or tube or some kind ~6-8in salvaged from fish tank, estimated cost ~$0.25
Barrel: CPVC with clearance for a dart ~17/32 ID ~1.5in $1 / 10 ft lets say ~$0.10

Stock internals:
Remove the four screws and open the shell
Posted Image

Tank

Drill a hole big enough for the tube on both sides of the tank. The tank is the first cilyndrical section after the trigger section (the one with the hole in it).
When doing this be careful not to drill too far or you may damage part the triggering mechanism which is the plastic cylinder inside the pressure chamber you seen in the picture.
Posted Image

Insert tube and glue into place on both sides of the tank.
-When doing this make sure you the tube isn't touching the triggering mechanism inside the pressure chamber. This can cause friction which makes it harder for the valve to close when pumping and hard for the trigger to open the valve when firing.
-Make sure when gluing that you don't accidentally have any glue that will dry connecting the tube to the triggering mechanism.
-Make sure to allow glue to set before you pump it up
-The tube has now extended the volume of the tank
Posted Image Posted Image

Barrel

Get a piece of CPVC you can jam into the end of the stock barrel. Pretty much anything with around 1/2in can be muscled in.
You want to get something that is as snug as possible around a dart, but still allows a dart to move freely though it. I try to look for something that will hold a dart unless I shake the tube.

-Cut a piece off at roughly a 45 degree angle so the longest part is about 1.5in. The length and the angle don't have to be precise at all.
Posted Image
-Jam the piece in the end of the barrel so that the angled end of the cpvc matches up with the angle of the front part of the barrel.
Posted Image

Enjoy
Posted Image
**I've seen some write up on over pressure valve plugging on the sspb but the one that I had I actually broke this stock because it had no OPV. I'm not sure what the situation is for this but this one didn't need plugging**

Stock range ~15-20ft? /w streamline (mine was used, not sure if this is the range of a new one)
Modded range ~70-75ft /w streamline (Conservative estimate. Can't test outside now)

I know people have done tank expansions and barrels for this thing before but Ive never seen it done quite this way. I tried to keep it as simple, cheap and easy as possible.

Edited by Darthrambo, 03 January 2012 - 12:24 AM.

#2 gehaga

gehaga

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 11:29 PM

I very much enjoyed the vinyl tubing sticking out of it as the tank expansion. Very atypical indeed.

Send me a PM with your address, credit card info, a scandalous picture of your mother, and your social security number. Okay, I'm kidding about the social. And the credit card.

#3 evilbunnyo

evilbunnyo

• Members
  • 404 posts
  • State:New York

Posted 02 January 2012 - 11:31 PM

The title reads Darthrambo's cheap and easy. ;^) anyways yes this has been done before. I don't see the point of this though. With pvc tanks you can get so much more air than this.
Silence is golden but duct tape is silver

#4 Darthrambo

Darthrambo

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 11:44 PM

I know people have done tank expansions and barrels for this thing before but Ive never seen it done quite this way. I tried to keep it as simple, cheap and easy as possible.

The title reads Darthrambo's cheap and easy. ;^) anyways yes this has been done before. I don't see the point of this though. With pvc tanks you can get so much more air than this.

Cheap, and easy.

#5 Curly

Curly

• Members
  • 201 posts
  • State:Ontario

Posted 03 January 2012 - 12:08 AM

I see the easier, but not the dirty.

The couple stock SSPBs I've played around with shot 35" easy. If that PVC is schedule 40 like most PVC pipe it wouldn't really help much with streamlines. If the pipe has a good barrel fit you might as well replace the entire barrel because the plastic is weak enough for steak knives. I would also add some support to the tubing besides the glue because it's just begging to be yanked off by accident.

#6 Darthrambo

Darthrambo

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 12:15 AM

I see the easier, but not the dirty.

The couple stock SSPBs I've played around with shot 35" easy. If that PVC is schedule 40 like most PVC pipe it wouldn't really help much with streamlines. If the pipe has a good barrel fit you might as well replace the entire barrel because the plastic is weak enough for steak knives. I would also add some support to the tubing besides the glue because it's just begging to be yanked off by accident.

Yeah, you could do all that, but its a sspb. It's much easier so I just mashed some pvc into the barrel and call it a day.

Edited by Darthrambo, 03 January 2012 - 12:16 AM.

#7 BOSS9

BOSS9

• Members
  • 137 posts
  • State:Minnesota

Posted 03 January 2012 - 12:21 AM

Yeah, you could do all that, but its a sspb. It's much easier so I just mashed some pvc into the barrel and call it a day.

Just to clarify, that's actually 1/2" CPVC, not PVC. You should change that in your write-up.

#8 Curly

Curly

• Members
  • 201 posts
  • State:Ontario

Posted 03 January 2012 - 12:42 AM

If your days are on Pluto I'd understand, but full rebarreling isn't that much harder. Since punching 100' with one of these is possible, I personally would take the extra time. To each his own I suppose.

#9 Darthrambo

Darthrambo

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 01:07 AM

If your days are on Pluto I'd understand, but full rebarreling isn't that much harder. Since punching 100' with one of these is possible, I personally would take the extra time. To each his own I suppose.

Yeah, it's just this was for a contest that wants you to take a bad blaster and basically using as little money/material/tools as possible, make it good. Kinda like a macguiver mod contest imo.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users