Photo

The Fiendfinder (Full write-up with lots of nice pictures)

This ain't yo gran-daddy's Nitefinder.

12 replies to this topic

#1 Nostrum

Nostrum

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 04:07 PM

This is the writeup for the modded Nitefinder that Stankity (member of FU) and I created, which we dubbed the Fiendfinder. The end product will look something like this:

Posted Image

The steps to make your very own are right below!

You will need:
One Nitefinder
One Dremel, with cutting, sanding, utility bits, etc.
The two ammo holders from the back of a Firefly
Gorilla Glue
A hair dryer or other air-heating tool, possibly
A Sharpie

00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Stankity and I used a Nitefinder with minimal modding, namely the AR removal as well as lopping off the weird angled part at the front of the barrel. Our first move was minimizing this thing.

First, we cut into the separate halves of the shell with a Dremel.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The underside of the minimized front:

Posted Image

Posted Image

So now we can get started on the important part of this mod; almost quadrupling the ammo capacity of the Nitefinder.

First we took the ammo holders from the back of a junked Firefly.

Posted Image

We then used the Dremel to cut off then sand down the pegs that connected the two, as well as sanding the remaining bits of peg down to a level flush with the rectangular border.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Then, screw the two halves of your Nitefinder together (without the internals) and go outside somewhere.

Posted Image

We've used the sanding head on the Dremel to make the lines where we minimized smoother, as well as the top parts of the sides, so the ammo holders will attach more easily.

Now, take one side of your gun and place that face-up. Apply a medium-heavy amount of Gorilla glue to both the remaining parts of the peg-posts on the holder you're using, and apply it to the Nitefinder where the two will meet. Hold them together tightly for a couple of minutes, then let it dry in the sun or use a hairdryer to achieve a quicker result.

This is what the first side looks like:

Posted Image

Do the same to the other side.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sadly, we couldn't take pictures of this next step, as the computer we took our pics with was charging and unusable. However, detailed instructions follow.

This details how to add the two extra dart holders in the handle of the Nitefinder.

Take one of the two-dart holders from the front of the gun and place it over the bottom of the handle with the two holes lined up with the battery slots. They won't line up perfectly and the front hole will be too small. Take a Sharpie and trace the outline of where the holder is, then remove the holder and take the two halves of the shell and Dremel out a space for the holder along the lines you drew, as well as cutting the space down in the forward hole so the holder will line up with it.

You'll only want to glue the holder into one half of the shell, as this allows the two halves to still fit together as well as come apart if necessary.

Posted Image

The finished product of that step. The top hole is the one where you'll need to cut down the wall of the battery housing.

And now, the finished product!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Stankity and I did an unofficial range test, and we got ranges varying from mid-forties to high-fifties in feet. It all depends on the darts you use; my favourite for this is a nice whistler.

Constructive criticism is well-received.

Edited by Nostrum, 31 December 2011 - 04:22 PM.

#2 Curly

Curly

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 04:30 PM

What you've done is nothing terribly new or innovative, and has been documented many, many, times. On the other hand, your format and pictures made the writeup very clear and easy to follow.

Next time before posting a thread you should search with the build-in engine and Google your mods. It wouldn't hurt to do so before starting a mod too. The Modifications Directory also showcases noteworthy mods as well as relevant integrations.

If you find that what you've done isn't overly original, post it in the Modifcation and Paintjob thread. That is a good place for mods that don't need their own thread or writeup, especially if they've been done before. The Mod/Pj thread is not for writeups, only pictures with a sentence or two explaining what we're looking at.

Edited by Curly, 31 December 2011 - 04:33 PM.

#3 chavez guy

chavez guy

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 04:30 PM

What did you do to increase performance? Air restrictor removal? Or was there something else?

You may want to consider doing a coupler or re-barrel modification, both of which significantly improve range.
Hablamos Español

#4 Nostrum

Nostrum

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 04:34 PM

Just a simple AR removal as stated above. Stankity and I are modding "partners-" all of our mods are joint projects. The blasters we have are all at his place, and he's in Puerto Rico currently. We'll probably be doing a re-barreling after he gets back. Any pointers?

EDIT: Curly, my apologies. I had posted this on another forum and the people there said it was relatively new, so I went off of what they said. Thank you for the direction.

Edited by Nostrum, 31 December 2011 - 04:35 PM.

#5 chavez guy

chavez guy

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 05:46 PM

Any pointers?

If you are gonna use stock darts, just rebarrel it with brass (probably 17/32") or maybe thickwall 1/2" PETG if you can get some. If you are going to use stefans, coupler the plunger tube so you can use CPVC barrels.
Hablamos Español

#6 Daniel Beaver

Daniel Beaver

HQRSE CQCK

• Moderators
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 07:02 PM

I like it. A lot of casual players don't use dart bags, so the dart holders help out a lot. Definitely consider a barrel replacement - you can eek out a lot more performance from a nitefinder.

#7 spencerak

spencerak

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 12:55 AM

I like it. A lot of casual players don't use dart bags, so the dart holders help out a lot. Definitely consider a barrel replacement - you can eek out a lot more performance from a nitefinder.

The group I nerf with is quite casual - almost everyone is using stock blasters, But we use a wonderful invention called pockets to carry darts.

Holy shit it's Captain Slug.

#8 Nsnerfing

Nsnerfing

• Banned
  • 50 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 03:44 AM

Very nice mod for a beginner!
I want
ANYTHING vintage, I am a collecter. In North Ca? PM me.

#9 ThatBritishGuy

ThatBritishGuy

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 06:48 AM

You may want to cover up the hole in the underside to make it look nicer. I used some very thin plastic sheeting (might have been plexiglass).
My sales thread

Any Blaster mod or homemade that I post I can commission. Send me a PM on NerfHaven or BritNerf or email me by sam@lusher.org.uk

#10 Daniel Beaver

Daniel Beaver

HQRSE CQCK

• Moderators
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 04:02 PM

But we use a wonderful invention called pockets to carry darts.

Pockets smoosh darts. Especially IceNine's hipster jean pockets.

#11 mrdarkmonkey96

mrdarkmonkey96

• Banned
  • 32 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 09:45 PM

For some reason your pictures arent showing up on my computer. Anyone with knowledge please respond. It just shows a box with a red x...

#12 The Nerfaholic

The Nerfaholic

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 10:19 PM

Pockets smoosh darts. Especially IceNine's hipster jean pockets.

I have the same problem.
Roses are red, And violets are blue. One day we'll cruise down Blood Gulch avenue.

#13 Eraser475

Eraser475

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 11:54 PM

Since this has been revived, I might as well add that most of the pictures aren't working for me.
"That seems like substantially less fun than filling it with beer". -Draconis

"There is no such thing as over kill! If you can carry it and prime it. You're good to go". -Makeitgo

"Admin Edit: Dumbest Crossbow in existence. Congratulations!" <-- Admin in the Show off your crossbow thread.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users