You've all seen this neglected blaster.
Original ranges: 20' - 25' from the dart portion and 6' from the squirt gun portion.
As you may have suspected, the plunger tube size is very similar to that of a NiteFinder.
Above is an exploded view. The only real differences between the x-Shot and a NiteFinder is the spring in front by the plunger head - it acts as a buffer very much like you would find in a Pistol Splat (WipeOut, Predator 1000, etc....I discarded it)) -and the circular spring rest in front of the catch.
The spring on top is the stock spring. The replacement spring is an 810 Campi Spring; 36lb max load spring.
Treating the plunger head is exactly the same way as you would treat any. Some teflon tape under the O-ring and a rubber pad.
The barrel and air restrictor is glued on, so, I uncharacteristically drilled it out very sloppily.
I cut down the barrel to a 1/2" stub and attached a 1/2" CPVC coupler.
I replaced the catch spring and decided to screw in the spring rest to the plunger tube (there are 2 more screws that you can't see from this angle). Originally, the spring rest was supported by the catch support but since the spring upgrade, the catch support was no longer strong enough. Initially after putting it back together, I discovered that it wouldn't release after I pulled the trigger. It turned out that the spring was so strong that it 'squeezed' the catch support, not allowing the catch to release. The above solution did the trick.
...Some slight modification to the plunger tube support to accomodate the new coupler.
This is the blaster I used to replace the 'squirt gun' portion. There was no gentle way of opening this thing, so I literally pried it open wide enough to get my fingers in there and pulled a Hulk Hogan.
I replaced the above water nozzle with the pressure tank of the Goblin.
The tank actually fits quite nicely into a 3/4" - 1/2" reducer.
Shell modification was needed to fit the coupler.
Using some vinyl tubing, I solvent welded a piece from the new tank to the water reservoir of the X-Shot. And again from the water resevoir to the cut up pump from the Goblin, which fit surprisingly well in the dart holder. I also moved the placement of the 'water-fill-up' hole to the side of the reservoir since the reservoir is now no longer removeable.
I know it seems like there were a few steps skipped, which now reminds me of why I didn't post a writeup way back when. The pics were lost in translation as it were.
An added little bonus was this:
I Dremeled out the original nozzle and shoved it into a 1/2" CPVC coupler.
That's a piece of CPVC sticking out the back so I can attach it to the coupler.
The Final product looks like this:
...with the water nozzle attachment:
Both barrels, 4" and 6" respectively, now get ranges in the high 70's low 80's, flat. The water attachment gets 25' flat.
Not a game changer but a fun little challenge and project for under $15.
...and just in case you're wondering, firing a dart with a full water reservoir does not work so well. It's either or, I'm afraid.
Edited by makeitgo, 25 December 2011 - 07:17 AM.