Nice to see nerf used on TV

12 replies to this topic

#1 J cobbers

J cobbers

• Members
  • 586 posts
  • State:Texas

Posted 23 December 2011 - 04:32 PM

So I have been watching Fox's new scifi show, Terranova and noticed that the 'sonic' hand guns they were using are awfully familiar. Yep they are using the good old nightfinder as the core of the on screen prop. Did a little google search and found someone who has already done a build on it, so I though I would share the link to someone else's hard work in case there are fan of the show who want to do their own: http://www.therpf.co...utorial-130094/

Don't forget to eat your meat based vegetable substitute children.

#2 Daniel Beaver

Daniel Beaver

HQRSE CQCK

• Moderators
  • 2,074 posts
  • NerfHaven Subscription Supporter
  • State:Minnesota

Posted 23 December 2011 - 04:42 PM

Nowadays, even high-end productions have miserable prop budgets.

#3 evilbunnyo

evilbunnyo

• Members
  • 404 posts
  • State:New York

Posted 23 December 2011 - 05:47 PM

Come to think of it. They're "assualt rifles" have the wierdest patterns of holes on them. Just like the faux s n I p e r... the longshot.

Edited by evilbunnyo, 23 December 2011 - 05:48 PM.

Silence is golden but duct tape is silver

#4 cheyner

cheyner

• Members
  • 240 posts
  • State:Ontario

Posted 24 December 2011 - 01:15 AM

You are a couple of months late, seeing as the season ended this week.
I was hoping to see a Vulcan used in some way, but considering it was shot in Australia the price probably kept them from doing that.
I do thank you for that link though, that is a very interesting site in general, and should help with a current project of mine.
I didn't realize the Recon was actually 2 hacked and glued together, there are also a couple of other things that make me think it would be pretty hard to still shoot darts, which kinda sucks.
The NF however looks like it only needs a few minor tweaks to make it still be able to fire darts.

Beaver's post claiming Kane's post claiming Demon Lord's post is correct is correct is correct.

Canadian Nerfers-R.I.P.

#5 Wickbuddy

Wickbuddy

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 10:53 PM

just to let you know this was discovered a LONG time ago :My thread
Check me out on Youtube

#6 Langley

Langley

LGLF - Since 2002

• Administrators
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 10:51 PM

Are you asking for credit for linking to nerfmodsreviews.com on another forum before this thread started?

You can poop in my toilet anytime champ.

2016 Nerf War Schedule
Bless you, my son. Now recite 3 New Members Guides and 5 Code of Conducts for your sins.

#7 WilliamsonModsInc

WilliamsonModsInc

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • State:Wisconsin

Posted 26 December 2011 - 09:32 PM

on Terra Nova, I have seen the Nitefinder, the Longshot, the Recon, and the firefly.
"YOU...what's your name?"
"Freddy jones."
"Huh, Freddy Jones, SHUT UP"
-The School of rock

#8 makeitgo

makeitgo

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 06:52 AM

I'm pretty sure I've also seen the Vigilon and Praxis from the Vortex series.

on Terra Nova, I have seen the Nitefinder, the Longshot, the Recon, and the firefly.

"...he is one speedy bastard." ~ Cheyner

#9 makeitgo

makeitgo

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 07:05 AM

Great find in regards to the actual site!!! I'm with you on this one Cheyner. I've bookmarked it and registered.

Thank you, Cobbs

#10 makeitgo

makeitgo

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 08:19 AM

I wouldn't go so far as to say the prop budgets are miserable. Especially for a weekly television series like, Terra Nova. Think about all the 'other' props non gun related on that show. Then think about outfitting the cast with all those props. And then think about the labor force required to create these props. Remember, these people are getting paid for their work.

Judging by the write up on Cobbs' link, I would say this mod probably took at least a week (5 days) to perform.

I'm a character designer for an animation studio and knowing how things finally wind up on screen would probably boggle most peoples minds.

The hardest thing about getting things on screen, is getting it 'approved'. For every 10 designs handed in, only one gets approved. But for each of those 10 designs, there were at least another 5 to 10 mock up designs each to get it to a deliverable stage. That's 50 to 100 actual designs created. All of that takes 'man hours'.

I would estimate that there were at least 10 to 15 versions of this NF redesign actually built before they had their on screen, 'hero-prop'.

I have an idea of the labor cost for a prop designer and I wouldn't be surprised if this 'hero-prop' (this one prop out of probably 1000's of other props in the show) cost $10, 000 in the end. Replicating it would have only cost probably $1000 each but add in the factor that they may have needed 15 to 20 (or even more). Remember that's one tiny little prop in a HUGE show.

I don't think the prop budget is that miserable.

Nowadays, even high-end productions have miserable prop budgets.

#11 Daniel Beaver

Daniel Beaver

HQRSE CQCK

• Moderators
  • 2,074 posts
  • NerfHaven Subscription Supporter
  • State:Minnesota

Posted 27 December 2011 - 01:00 PM

Thanks for the input! My own opinions were based on Reddit hearsay.

#12 J cobbers

J cobbers

• Members
  • 586 posts
  • State:Texas

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:12 PM

Well I am actually glad someone else spotted it, like I said I'm not claiming any sort of credit. I'm sorry I don't really check into other nerf community forums (I'm admittedly biased toward nerf haven) so I had no way of knowing you commented on it first over there, but it doesn't surprise me, and those are some good pics of nerf guns props in various shows!

In my casual lurking on this forum I hadn't noticed it pop up as a topic so I figured I'd start one. Making replica props isn't something I do, but I do like seeing what the other creative minds on here can do. See the Modification and Paintjob Pictures thread I started a few years back that seems to be just a wee bit popular.

That being said any of you out there get around to making a copy of the prop guns from Terranova put it up in the mod and paintjob thread, I'd love to see how it turns out!

Don't forget to eat your meat based vegetable substitute children.

#13 ozn rfnerd

ozn rfnerd

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 03:01 PM

You are a couple of months late, seeing as the season ended this week.
I was hoping to see a Vulcan used in some way, but considering it was shot in Australia the price probably kept them from doing that.
I do thank you for that link though, that is a very interesting site in general, and should help with a current project of mine.
I didn't realize the Recon was actually 2 hacked and glued together, there are also a couple of other things that make me think it would be pretty hard to still shoot darts, which kinda sucks.
The NF however looks like it only needs a few minor tweaks to make it still be able to fire darts.

Actually mate,

I don't see how being filmed in Australia would stop them from buying a hundred 50 buck Vulcans (that's how much they cost down here) if they wanted to, as our economy and standard of living are pretty good down here.

I'd say that it's more to do with the fact that it would be hard to make a tripod mounted blaster that's as small as the Vulcan look realistic as a prop in a movie.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users