Photo

The NIC Spring Database

To stop all various spring-related questions.

18 replies to this topic

#1 CuppaSteve

CuppaSteve

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 12:49 PM

Langley has asked me to copy the original NRev version of this thread over here, so here you all go.

Alright, we get a lot of questions about springs, whether stock or after-market. I'll start with information that I've gathered, along with information from this handy thread and continue where it left off, hopefully encouraging the community to add more and more until we have a fairly complete listing of the most common springs, spring replacements, etc. I use a vernier caliper, not digital, so all of my measurements are approximate (besides the ones I got from McMaster and the NH thread).

Here's the general format:

-General Nickname/Blaster Name
-OD/ID
-Length (uncompressed)
-Constant (If you have the capabilities to measure it. If not, just attempt to describe general power. If there are several versions like the LS or BBB, make note)
-Availability (only for after-market springs)
-Additional Notes (usual uses, etc.)

How to Find Constants
Find a known weight, like a freeweight. I use a 3lb dumbbell. Put the weight on the spring, and see how much it compresses. Subtract the compressed length you just found from the free length of the spring. Then divide the weight of your freeweight by that number.

(Constant=Force/(freelength-compressedlength))

After-Market Springs

A note about McMaster springs: The constant given on McMaster-Carr is not a definite constant. It is given so that you can still know the constant of the spring you're using regardless of the length of the spring. To find the constant specific to whatever length of spring you're using, use this post from Zorn:

Constant of x inches of spring = [McMaster constant] / [Coils Per Inch * x]
Compression Ratio = 1 - (Coils Per Inch * Wire Diameter)
Max deflection of x inches of spring = x * Compression Ratio (this is the compression stroke, which must be greater than or equal to the plunger draw)^
Max force of x inches of spring = Max deflection * Constant in lbs/in

If you're still confused, Daniel Beaver has given you THIS helpful post.

And so we start.

Name: [k26]
OD: .844" ID: .688"
Length (As sold by McMaster): 11"
McM Constant: 131.9
Coils/Inch: 3.09
Availability: Sold in packs of 5 (and supposedly 3?) from http://www.mcmaster.com part number 9637K26
Notes: A favorite among modders as a replacement spring. Very powerful, but also very good at breaking stuff if not properly reinforced.

Name: [k25]
OD: .968" ID: .808"
Length (As sold by McMaster): 11"
McM Constant: 84
Coils/Inch: 2.18
Availability: Sold in packs of 5 (and supposedly 3?) from http://www.mcmaster.com part number 9637K25
Notes: Good replacement spring to get power out of blasters with little to no reinforcement.

Name: K14
OD: 1.09" ID: 0.88"
Length: (As sold by McMaster): 11"
Coils/Inch: 2.45
Coils/Spring: 27
McM Constant: 181.2
Availability: Sold in packs of 5 from http://www.mcmaster.com part number 9637K14
Notes: Stupidly strong. Almost always used in homemades because factory plastic can't take it.

Name: K45
OD: 1" ID: .82"
Length (As sold by McMaster): 36"
Coils/Inch: 3.2
McM Constant: 140.5
Availability: Sold singly from http://www.mcmaster.com part number 9662K45
Notes: Similar in size, but stronger than K25s, which go for 55"/$10.49, while 2 K45s would come out to 72"/$8.26

Name: K34
OD: 1.13" ID: .91"
Coils/Inch: 2.6
McM Constant: 170.3
Availability: Sold singly from http://www.mcmaster.com part number 9662K34
Notes: Will fit in 1-1/4" PVC (ID 1.38"), but has so little clearance that it can't be used in traditional SNAPs - the nail won't clear it. Traditional catches that rely on the changes to plunger rod width (notches or bumps) will be unimpeded. This looks to be a possible middle ground between the [k26] and K14. I've heard some people comment that the former is too easy to prime, while the latter too hard.

Name: K31
OD: .88" ID: .72"
McM Constant: 116.2
Availability: Sold singly from http://www.mcmaster.com part number 9662K31
Notes: Similar in size to [k26] which currently sells for 55"/$10.49, while 2 K31s are 72"/$8.60

Name: Ace #49
OD: ~.88" ID: ~.54"
Length: ~3.35"
Constant: 13 lb/in
Availability: Check your local Ace Hardware.
Notes: Good for Nitefinders and the like. Usually needs some reinforcement.

Name: Ace #69 (heh) I'm so mature.
OD: 1.25" ID: ~.99"
Length: 4.625"
Constant: ~19 lb/in <---That seems high. Someone should double-check.
Availability: Check your local Ace Hardware.
Notes: A popular replacement spring for someone who wants even more power than a [k26] for a modified blaster.

Name: ACE #199
OD: 0.51" ID: 0.34"
Length: 5.58"
Coils total: 28
Rotation: Clockwise
Availability: Sold at better-stocked ACE Hardware stores, and by Venom213
Notes: Replacement spring for PistolSplat.

Name: Home Depot Everbuilt "Handyman" Spring SP 9713.
OD: .875" ID: .715"
Length: 4"
Coils/Inch: ~3.5
Constant:6.2 lb/inch
Availability: Check your local Home Depot.
Notes: Great spring addition to larger blasters. Also great for NiteFinder spring replacements.

Stock Springs

Name: Raider/Recon/AT/LK spring
OD: 1.06" ID : 0.94"
Length: 4.75"
Coils total: 7 (not counting extra coil or two for closed ends - this will add to compressed length.)
Constant: ~2.02 lbs/in
Notes: Just a generally good addition spring, especially for somewhat larger plunger-tubed blasters.

"Current Production" NF spring (Older NF springs have lower constants, but more compression, so they are generally more powerful at full compression)
OD: ~.825" ID: .7"
Length: 3.25"
Coils: 17 (Older ones have 15)
Constant: ~3.9 lbs/in

Longshot Spring
OD: ~1.375" ID: ~1.245"
Length: 5.5"
Constant: ~2 lb/in (can vary with LS generation)
Notes: A good addition spring for blasters with larger plungertubes. There are two generations of longshot spring, a black spring and a silver spring. The black spring is slightly stronger.

LSFG Spring (For blue and yellow LSFG's)
OD: .625" ID: ~.555" OD: .83" ID: .79"
Length: 2.625" Length: 2.55
Constant: ~2.5 lb/inch
Notes: Basically worthless. It'd make a better catch spring than main spring.

Maverick Spring
OD: .75" ID: ~.69"
Length: 2.5"
Constant: ~4.4 lb/inch
Notes: Although it has a high constant, the spring is so short that it exerts little power. Usually two are put into modified blasters, one on top of the other.

TTG (Micro-Firing)
Length: 3.08"
OD: 0.73"
Wire Dia: 0.06"
Coils total: 14
Rotation: Clockwise

Sawtooth Spring (Kinda pointless since it's uncommon but I'll put it up anyways as long as I have it around)
OD: ~.76 ID: ~.54
Length: ~2.7
Constant: ~5.5 lb/inch
Notes: Tiny, but pretty strong. This spring is similar to what you'll find in an eagle eye or a sneakshot.

Name: Stock Wipeout Splat spring:
OD: 0.50"
ID: 0.36"
Length: 5.04"
Coils total: 21

Name: Stock Silver/Blue Splat spring:
OD: 0.51"
ID: 0.36"
Length: 5.63"
Coils total: 24

Data Wanted
-BBB
-Lanard Handcannon/Quadshot
-RFSG
-Scout
I'll think of more

Measurements that I'll be getting eventually unless someone beats me to it:
PAS

If I got anything wrong, correct me. All the rest of the info is pretty much up to you all. Please help expand this database by posting!
Just keep it in the same format, please. Make my life easier.

If everybody could help with this, it could be a great tool not only for seasoned veterans but for the newbies as well. Much thanks to taerkitty and Beaver for making helpful contributions thus far.

Edited by CuppaSteve, 22 November 2011 - 07:28 AM.

#2 Langley

Langley

LGLF - Since 2002

• Administrators
  • 2,997 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 01:00 PM

Thanks Steve. Aside from being a good resource in general, this gives me an even better excuse to shut down anyone posting a "what spring should I use" thread. Pinned.

Edit: Although I object to the line about copying from the 'Original' NRev thread, considering it was based on this post

You can poop in my toilet anytime champ.

2016 Nerf War Schedule
Bless you, my son. Now recite 3 New Members Guides and 5 Code of Conducts for your sins.

#3 Zorns Lemma

Zorns Lemma

Sir Scrt

• Moderators
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 07:12 AM

Link for that quote in the OP http://nerfhaven.com...ndpost&p=228572
"In short, the same knowledge that underlies the ability to produce correct judgement is also the knowledge that underlies the ability to recognize correct judgement. To lack the former is to be deficient in the latter."
Kruger and Dunning (1999)

#4 CuppaSteve

CuppaSteve

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 06:37 AM

What do you guys think about adding a second part filled with the most common replacement springs for blasters? Something along the lines of:

NF: #49 or [k26]
LS: [k25], K18, IP Blaster Springs, RSFG spring, BBB spring.
etc.

Thoughts?

#5 KaneTheMediocre

KaneTheMediocre

Belligerent Asshole

• Members
  • 613 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 04:24 PM

Since most people use the full length or close to the full length of the "continuous length" springs, it would be nice to include the actual spring constant (k in f=-kx) for reference.
RAINBOW CLAN FTW
I'm Purple

My Half-Baked MHA Site

#6 CuppaSteve

CuppaSteve

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 05:26 PM

I had it at one point, but all of the people who fail to read were getting confused.

#7 Ozymandias

Ozymandias

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 03:23 PM

Alright, finally got around to taking a screenshot of my excel chart of McMaster's 11in. 'Cut-to-Length Compression Springs'.

McMaster changed up the way they calculate spring constants since I made this, however the information is still accurate unless they changed the springs themselves.

The equations I use are courtesy of Zorn in the thread he mentioned up there.

The springs themselves are sorted by the max power of the fully compressed, whole spring.

I'm not saying this info is exact, but it should be close enough.

Posted Image
If you wish to post anything HvZ related, here ya go.

"...if you've ever suffered the effects of a fucking faggot retard overpopulation, you'll understand what devistaiting effects it can have on one's psyche." - Talio

#8 CuppaSteve

CuppaSteve

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 07:45 PM

To those of you who have Elite blasters, I would love some specs on them. I'm a stereotypically poor teenager who doesn't have the money to go out and buy all of the Elite blasters as they get released just to steal their springs.

#9 Zorns Lemma

Zorns Lemma

Sir Scrt

• Moderators
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 11:51 AM

For McMaster springs that are meant to be cut-to-length, spring constant is not very useful as it changes with the length of the spring.

What is constant for a given coils-per-inch, wire diameter, coil diameter, and material, is the total load bearing force.
"In short, the same knowledge that underlies the ability to produce correct judgement is also the knowledge that underlies the ability to recognize correct judgement. To lack the former is to be deficient in the latter."
Kruger and Dunning (1999)

#10 CuppaSteve

CuppaSteve

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:22 PM

I put the McMaster constant and the equation in there, it seems to be the best compromise.

#11 Daniel Beaver

Daniel Beaver

HQRSE CQCK

• Moderators
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:23 PM

To those of you who have Elite blasters, I would love some specs on them. I'm a stereotypically poor teenager who doesn't have the money to go out and buy all of the Elite blasters as they get released just to steal their springs.

I'll measure that when I get mine in the mail. It occurs to me that I should probably post a writeup for how to measure spring constant.

#12 CuppaSteve

CuppaSteve

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:26 PM

I have a pretty simple guide in the OP, but obviously something more in-depth would work better.

#13 burning-ice

burning-ice

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 11:22 PM

Not sure if this is applicable but, AR-15 Buffer spring? (The one Boltsniper uses.)
I lurk alot.
If I double post blame my internet, I apologize.

#14 CuppaSteve

CuppaSteve

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 07:02 AM

I think I tried looking at one point and couldn't find any concrete stats about it. And unfortunately people get suspicious if a 16-year-old buys gun parts.

#15 Daniel Beaver

Daniel Beaver

HQRSE CQCK

• Moderators
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 08:33 AM

Not sure if this is applicable but, AR-15 Buffer spring? (The one Boltsniper uses.)

They are significantly more expensive and weaker than other springs.

#16 andtheherois

andtheherois

• Banned
  • 821 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:07 PM

http://nerfhaven.com...=1

This is a helpful thread for figuring out spring lengths and draw lengths, and the program is easy to use. I thought it'd be appropriate to put it here.
The YooToobz
Photobucket

Winning rounds is rewarding, deal with it. We don't play fucking patty cake over here.

#17 zack0909

zack0909

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 10:28 PM

might be kinda late but, thanks! this was very helpful.
USER WAS WARNED FOR THIS POST

Edited by Zorns Lemma, 16 June 2014 - 08:57 PM.

#18 Cartaya

Cartaya

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 03:37 PM

POPULAR

What do you people think of this online Spring Calc.

http://www.acxesspri...tant-units.html

And with it I got information on this spring.

Posted Image

Melnor Kink-Free Hose Saver spring

Price: $5 Home Depot

Pictured as 14 coils total, 2.6mm wire chromed.

As found at Home Depot:
All coils: 12
Outer Wire Diameter: 1.125, ID:.912
Length:4.5 inches
Solid length: 1.4 inches
Yield @ Solid length:20.4 Kg's

Edited by Cartaya, 25 November 2014 - 04:33 PM.

....Fear of a Nerf Planet!

#19 Spud Spudoni

Spud Spudoni

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 01:47 AM

It's shown above in the chart and not mentioned, but the 9637K36 spring makes for a really strong catch spring. I found out about it on some other forum post here, but it makes for a great catch spring replacement on nitefinders, firestrikes, and other brand blasters. Also great in rainbow catch-style builds. It comes in a pack of three and is about 10" long, making it easy to cut down for whatever size you want.

Edited by Spud Spudoni, 15 September 2017 - 01:48 AM.

industrial designer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users