Photo

Motor stats

7 replies to this topic

#1 zx532

zx532

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 11:33 PM

First off, I realize that I am probably going to get quite a bit of flack for this post, and if I'm doing anything wrong here I apologize.

I am going to try to make a flywheel gun, and it is cheaper, and more cost effective to buy just the electric motor
does anyone know the stats of any Nerf flywheel gun motor on the market?
Im looking for RPMs mainly, but any information would be useful (or if someone knows offhand where I could find this information).
Progress: Just a long line of people saying "See? I told you it could be done"

#2 PVC Arsenal 17

PVC Arsenal 17

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 12:24 AM

First off, I realize that I am probably going to get quite a bit of flack for this post, and if I'm doing anything wrong here I apologize.

I am going to try to make a flywheel gun, and it is cheaper, and more cost effective to buy just the electric motor
does anyone know the stats of any Nerf flywheel gun motor on the market?
Im looking for RPMs mainly, but any information would be useful (or if someone knows offhand where I could find this information).

You can get hobby motors for $1 or less each. The trouble comes when making the flywheels. Balance is important.

It comes down to whether you would rather scavenge from a Barricade or just build your own. I can't see much of a price difference.

#3 Mr BadWrench

Mr BadWrench

• Members
  • 781 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 07:58 PM

you need to decide how large of motors you want, how much power you need and how many rpms you will need.

then you need to figure out voltages, amperage and size of battery.

Tell me what size motors you want and how many rpms they need to spin and I will get motors for you.

Don
NerfChat IRC Chatroom Click to chat!

#4 Darthrambo

Darthrambo

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 05:28 AM

One thing you really need to consider is how you plan to get your flywheel centered.

Also the RPMs you will want depends on the range you are going for as well as the diameter of the flywheels you plan to use.

The formula for the theoretical velocity of the darts coming out of the fly wheel would be this:

V=Pi x Diameter of fly wheels x rpm

With that you can easily figure out how many feet per sec you will get from a flywheel set up. If you want to have something to compare Ft/s to you can look at some of jerms vids since he uses a chronograph in a lot of his reviews.

#5 zx532

zx532

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 05:31 PM

I know where i can find motors relatively cheap, there are a ew hobby stores in my area. Problem is I've seen motors that go all the way up to 20,000 RPMs, I just didn't want to buy one that was either not powerful enough, or too powerful

Also, thank you for the equation Darthrambo, that will be useful.
Progress: Just a long line of people saying "See? I told you it could be done"

#6 Darthrambo

Darthrambo

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 11:46 PM

I suggest you just look for good RC cars in your local thrift store if you want to do it cheap. When people lose/break controllers they end up there for a couple bucks with motors that are perfectly fine along with some other really nice electronics that are perfect to slap in guns like switches, the motor housing, and quick connects for RC batteries. Just look for cars that have 2 of the same motor.

#7 Mr BadWrench

Mr BadWrench

• Members
  • 781 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 12:00 AM

Don't even bother with any RC motors from toys. you wanna do it right. get me a pic of your stock motors and Ill tell you what you need and where to get them.
NerfChat IRC Chatroom Click to chat!

#8 nerfnut23

nerfnut23

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 06:05 PM

I know where i can find motors relatively cheap, there are a ew hobby stores in my area. Problem is I've seen motors that go all the way up to 20,000 RPMs, I just didn't want to buy one that was either not powerful enough, or too powerful

Also, thank you for the equation Darthrambo, that will be useful.

The problem with a flywheel blaster isn't a lack of RPMs, it's generally not being able to maintain it for repeated fire. What you COULD do is buy a couple Rustler motors (they're like $10 each, I think.)

Edited by nerfnut23, 24 November 2011 - 06:08 PM.

American society: A legitimate clusterfuck since 1965.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users