Make a recon slam-fire

10 replies to this topic

#1 hamoidar

hamoidar

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 11:42 AM

Posted Image

The Recon, although relativly powerful, has fallen below par in comparison with other clip fed guns, such as the Stampede and Raider. The Recons' painfully slow rate-of-fire and low dart capacity are the main cause of this decrease in popularity. The solution to rescue the Recons reputation?

Make it have slam-fire.

I decided to make the mod relatively simple by not using any hard to obtain materials. With a little skill with the Dremel and some PVC glue, you're good to go. The basic principal behind this mod is to have the bolt sled release the plunger catch at the exact moment it hits the front of the gun. In order to do this, the trigger slide must pull under the catch instead of pushing under it.

First, I removed the trigger slide and replaced it with a custom reverse facing slide. Then the bolt sled was modified as well as the front of the trigger. Read this mod guide to see how you too can have a slam-fire Recon.

Unscrew the gun and lift off the casing, then take out the spring, jam door, the plunger assembly, the plunger catch, and the two locks. The locks look like this:
Posted Image

Take out the two small black screws on the underside of the bolt sled, and knock out the spring and lock from inside the sled. Now, remove the trigger and locate a small stud in the top of the trigger assembly as shown.
Posted Image

Using the Dremel, cut the top of the trigger in half starting at the stud and going to the back.

Posted Image

Cut a 5cm by 8mm piece of from a 1/2 inch PVC pipe. Next, cut two 2cm by 8mm pieces from the same PVC pipe.

Posted Image

Prime the cut part of the trigger (not the piece you cut off) with PVC primer, then prime all of the custom PVC pieces. Hint: it may be necessary to heat the PVC pieces with a micro torch and then hammer them flat to make a better fit.

Glue the largest PVC piece onto the trigger, then glue the two small pieces at the end, directly on top of each other.

Posted Image

Once the glue is set, Dremel the two top pieces to a 45 degree angle approximately 1/2cm long.

Posted Image

Out of the piece you cut off of the trigger, cut two 2cm lengths. It'sokay if their a bit shorter than that.

Angle two of the corners of both pieces so that they're slightly triangular.

Now glue them together and then glue that piece to the front of the trigger bar. With the Dremeled edges pointing up.
Posted Image

Dremel off the two semicircles of plastic next to the spring post on the trigger. Then crack off the square flap at the very bottom of the trigger.
Posted Image

Posted Image
Drill a hole with a 1/2mm drill bit through the spring post on the back of the trigger and a corresponding hole in the casing of the gun.

Now, notice that right underneath the stock holder the back of the handle sweeps out into a rectangular box, helping to support the stock. Cut off the top of this box and Dremel down about half a centimeter.

Posted Image

On the edges of the trigger hole there are two ridges: One on the top and one on the bottom. These must be removed on both sides.

Posted Image

The back of the trigger spring box must be taken out.There are three parallel plates where the locks used to go. The middle plate needs to be Dremeled out.Take the bolt sled and Dremel out the wall of the lock case that faces the clip. Then Dremel across the back edge, removing the screw tubes.

Posted Image

Make the same cuts on the other side of the gun casing as on the first side. There isn't a trigger spring box or lock plates on that side.

Finally, I used a Maverick trigger spring as the spring for the Recon trigger. You'll have to cut the rings on the end of the spring in order to get it into the holes. Some stretching may be necessary.
Posted Image

Put everything into the gun and screw together. Your Recon can now slam fire. Unfortunately this is the only mode of fire, but this isn't too bad because all you have to do to single fire is keep the cocking handle almost all the way up and jerking it forward, eliminating the time needed to completely pull the handle all the way from the back of the gun.

Edited by hamoidar, 03 November 2011 - 03:42 PM.

NerfHaven > Your control panel > Profile > Change Signature > Inserts dumb sig > What! No pictures! > Inserts next best thing: http://nerfhaven.com...howuser=114052' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Best thing on Nerfhaven!

#2 Aeromech

Aeromech

• Moderators
  • 434 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 12:22 PM

So every time you Prime the blaster forward, at the last instant of forward travel, the new trigger part is pulled forward slightly. The rear triangular section of the trigger assembly moves forward, and forces the trigger plate upward, releasing the reverse-plunger tube, and firing the blaster. Correct?

I am not a huge fan of the "slamfire only" fire mode of this blaster, If I successfully slamfire-mod a Recon, I would like to try to preserve the traditional mode of fire, although this would be quite a challenge. It's pretty cramped in there.

Still, this is very innovative. Good work, and nice write up. Try to be a bit more descriptive if you can, though the pictures helped very much.
Watch my shitty videos

This is so ghetto but so awesome.

#3 Exo

Exo

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 12:32 PM

The Recon, although very powerful

HA.

The problem with any slamfire gun, even if they still have standard fire, is that they're too jerky to be used in an outdoor war by themselves. And why would you want to decrease the accuracy of a recon when you could just buy a speedload 6? They already do this, and they cost $5 less than a full recon.

I'm sure you're proud of your work, and you would happily use this in whatever war you attend. In which case, good job. People (like myself) will have reasons why they don't like this blaster, but if you do, then that's all that matters.

Edited by Exo, 03 November 2011 - 12:36 PM.

#4 hamoidar

hamoidar

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 12:45 PM

HA.

The problem with any slamfire gun, even if they still have standard fire, is that they're too jerky to be used in an outdoor war by themselves. And why would you want to decrease the accuracy of a recon when you could just buy a speedload 6? They already do this, and they cost $5 less than a full recon.

I'm sure you're proud of your work, and you would happily use this in whatever war you attend. In which case, good job. People (like myself) will have reasons why they don't like this blaster, but if you do, then that's all that matters.

First off, I mostly use this gun for zombie games, where very little accuracy is needed, also, This mod was done before the speedload six was introduced.
NerfHaven > Your control panel > Profile > Change Signature > Inserts dumb sig > What! No pictures! > Inserts next best thing: http://nerfhaven.com...howuser=114052' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Best thing on Nerfhaven!

#5 Aeromech

Aeromech

• Moderators
  • 434 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 02:16 PM

It is not the slamfire itself that makes a blaster "inaccurate." It is human error which makes the blaster less accurate, as high ROF generated by a rapid back-and-forth priming action will upset one's aim, and in a situation where high dart output is required, accuracy may not be terribly important. (I know certain stock Nerf darts are inaccurate, but for argument's sake, I'm suggesting they will fly in a relatively straight line. This argument would be better suited when using a more powerful blaster capable of firing stefans.)

Mechanically speaking, making a blaster slamfire capable should in no way affect the accuracy or ranges experienced by said blaster.
Watch my shitty videos

This is so ghetto but so awesome.

#6 taerKitty

taerKitty

• Members
  • 883 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 02:38 PM

The Recon, although very powerful,

I stopped reading at this point.
Fugly is a feature.

#7 lionhawk

lionhawk

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 08:02 PM

The Recon, although relativly powerful, has fallen below par in comparison with other clip fed guns, such as the Stampede and Raider. The Recons' painfully slow rate-of-fire and low dart capacity are the main cause of this decrease in popularity. The solution to rescue the Recons reputation?

Make it have slam-fire.

The recon is not powerful, it is relatively fast, it can hold drum magazines, it had no popularity, and no one is gonna rescue its reputation.

#8 agc2k

agc2k

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 09:09 PM

Couldn't you have just got a raider and minimized it?

#9 The Nerfaholic

The Nerfaholic

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 09:44 PM

I really like this. This makes the Recon a VERY viable integration gun. I'm definitely doing this if I get another Recon. Can you still fire it the usual way at all?

Edited by The Nerfaholic, 03 November 2011 - 09:44 PM.

Roses are red, And violets are blue. One day we'll cruise down Blood Gulch avenue.

#10 hamoidar

hamoidar

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 09:16 AM

I really like this. This makes the Recon a VERY viable integration gun. I'm definitely doing this if I get another Recon. Can you still fire it the usual way at all?

Nope, slam-fire is the only mode of fire.

#11 taerKitty

taerKitty

• Members
  • 883 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 06:03 PM

In that case the local Nerf expert/nit-picker, Bob-o-Bob, will probably point out that SlamFire isn't correct. Just saying. :)
Fugly is a feature.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users