Photo

Mav Paintjob Issues

4 replies to this topic

#1 Limeaway

Limeaway

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 06:57 PM

Hey guys, first paintjob I'm attempting here and I've run into a slight problem. As you can see in the pictures below, the paint has a very rough texture to it. I used Krylon indoor/outdoor grey primer and Krylon Fusion Olive Camo paint (I know, Fusion paints don't really require primer, but I wanted to do it for the sake of practice). I'm kind of disappointed with how the color turned out. It's not really that distinct flat olive color I was expecting, but then again I've only applied two layers of the olive paint.

Anyone know what's causing this funky texture I'm getting from the paint and also how to correct it? I'm assuming high grit wet sanding until the surface is smooth, then a reapplication of paint will be the trick? Should I have wet sanded the primer before adding the first color coat?

Thanks

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 popatachi

popatachi

• Members
  • 205 posts
  • State:Massachusetts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 08:29 PM

It's been a while, but I believe that primer is a little bit textured so that it will adhere to the top layer of paint better. You could spray on a black paint on top of that and then your olive coat. And to get a good solid color, you will need to spray on multiple coats since you are spraying on black. But someone can correct any inaccurate statements I have made.

#3 spencerak

spencerak

• Members
  • 172 posts
  • State:Michigan

Posted 29 October 2011 - 08:42 PM

What is the tempature where you are? Krylon fusion paints recommend an air and surface tempature of at least 50 degrees farenhight (did I spell that right?) and are iffy if it's under 50. I painted some stuff a few years ago and it was around 35 degrees and one thing turned out good and smooth, then the other had a simulate texture to what you discibed. My point is don't paint if the area you are painting in isn't at least 50 degrees then don't paint and wait for it to be over 55 because then it will paint better.

Holy shit it's Captain Slug.

#4 Limeaway

Limeaway

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 09:13 PM

I live in the Bay Area (Cali), so I'm pretty sure weather isnt too much of a problem right now. This past week has been in the mid 70s low 80s.

Edited by Limeaway, 29 October 2011 - 09:13 PM.

#5 wardrive

wardrive

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 04:38 AM

To answer your question, yes prepare your material before applying primer. You should always sand or whatever is appropriate for your material. Give it a sanding, and try again. Your results should be more along the lines of what you were aiming for.
It's not called incompetence, We call it Leadership.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users