Draw Extended Nite Finder

The ghetto way

3 replies to this topic

#1 chavez guy

chavez guy

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 02:06 PM

A friend gave me a nite finder and I wanted to try something new with it. So here I have a draw extended nite finder that is very simple and easy to make. Some of it is as simple as re-arranging some stuff. I havent seen a write up for one of these in the mod directory (hint, hint) or one that does it in a way similar to this one.
Posted Image Posted Image
As you can see, there is E-putty and chunks of plastic plastered to the shell. I will get to those later. As you can see, the front of the plunger tube is jutting out the front of the shell. This allows for more air to get pushed out, as the plunger rod is long enough for this.

Firstly and foremost, do the whole seal improvements, [k26] spring replacement, catch spring replacement, shell minimization, and CPVC coupler mods as one would normally do. The way I do my coupler (cutting some off, gooping it into the PT) gives me pretty much no deadspace. Now for extending the draw, you see those two tabs on the PT? Yeah, do NOT cut those off. Those are pivotal (or at least structurally vital) to this mod. As you can see from the two photos above, the tabs are sticking out of the slots in the sides of the shell. The biggest ammount of work to this mod is securing those tabs in place without using obscene ammounts of glue or anything (I like making my blasters so that I can open them up and work on them later).

First you will need to cut the shell a bit to get the tabs to fit. Then you have to attach something to make it so that the PT cannot move back and forth in the shell. I used pieces of the ammo holders and ARs, but I'm sure it can be done with polycarb scraps or something that looks neater than this. This is what the side of the shell without the screws looks like after cutting and making the support things:
Posted Image
And the inside:
Posted Image
The reason I puttied that orange AR (the piece with 3 prongs, just cut off the prongs) in there is because when you place the tab there after making the cut, no part of the shell is supporting the back part of it, so that is what that AR piece does.

As for the other side of the shell:
Posted Image
Posted Image
The reason I have all that putty towards the front of the shell is that I cut too much and needed to fill some of the gap back in. But the support piece (made from a piece of the ammo holder, polycarb, or whatever) is the same as the other side of the shell.

So when you are putting it back together it should look like this:
Posted Image
Posted Image

And if you did it right, you should be done. I like to either use a 21/32" CPVC slide breech or a speedloader on it.
Posted Image

Edited by chavez_guy, 23 October 2011 - 02:08 PM.

Hablamos Español

#2 andtheherois

andtheherois

• Banned
  • 821 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 02:24 PM

Good job on this. Those tabs are pretty weak though. Have you noticed any signs of stress on them yet?
The YooToobz
Photobucket

Winning rounds is rewarding, deal with it. We don't play fucking patty cake over here.

#3 taerKitty

taerKitty

• Members
  • 883 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 02:29 PM

Seeing as it's not been covered, I'll be the d-bag to ask for ranges, then.

I love how elegantly utilitarian it is.
Fugly is a feature.

#4 chavez guy

chavez guy

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 04:46 PM

Good job on this. Those tabs are pretty weak though. Have you noticed any signs of stress on them yet?

I actually don't even think my plunger head hits my coupler on the PT. But if it did, only the front tab would experience any real stress. I haven't noticed any, but it doesn't hurt to reinforce it.

Seeing as it's not been covered, I'll be the d-bag to ask for ranges, then.

I love how elegantly utilitarian it is.

I was thinking about that earlier. I actually do not own a tape measurer more than like 25 feet. But trust me, it hits more than 25 feet. Probably like 70s. Thats a rough estimate though. Take my word for it, its hella friggen strong. Hitting way harder than a similar nite finder without the draw extension.

And thanks.
Hablamos Español

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users