Photo

OPRV's?

Using an OPRV as a trigger mechanism? (Need insight and Opinion!)

5 replies to this topic

#1 nick4563

nick4563

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 12:41 PM

I currently have a Nerf Dart Tag Magstrike sitting disassembled at my house and was wondering how I could use it to make a Fully or Semi automatic clip fed Nerf rifle. I thought that I could build a system based off of a paintball gun. By this I mean that the hammer would be spring powered and held by a clothespin trigger, when the trigger is depressed the hammer strikes the valve(OPRV) releasing air. This air pushes the hammer forward until it clears the air passage allowing the air to vent towards the barrel. The hammer also has a portion that loads the dart.

I am not signed up for any image hosting so if you would like to see my diagram i can email it to you promptly.

It would be very helpful to know if the OPRV would vent fast enough and if the hammer mechanism is feasible. IF something like this has been done before please send me a link to the page, for i could not find anything similar.

This is my first thread so please be gentle.

#2 roboman

roboman

• Members
  • 489 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 12:51 PM

OPRVs don't generally have a high enough flow to be used as you would like to. However, they can be used to pilot a QEV, in order to make a fully-automatic system.

Alternatively, you can build a SCUNBAG like I did, which is a much simpler way to build a semi-auto system. It won't require nearly as much tuning as a hammer valve system will, and can be made for about $30.

Youtube

LS and Retaliator boltsleds are currently available at https://www.facebook.com/RoboM8/

#3 nerfnut23

nerfnut23

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 01:20 PM

I currently have a Nerf Dart Tag Magstrike sitting disassembled at my house and was wondering how I could use it to make a Fully or Semi automatic clip fed Nerf rifle. I thought that I could build a system based off of a paintball gun. By this I mean that the hammer would be spring powered and held by a clothespin trigger, when the trigger is depressed the hammer strikes the valve(OPRV) releasing air. This air pushes the hammer forward until it clears the air passage allowing the air to vent towards the barrel. The hammer also has a portion that loads the dart.

I am not signed up for any image hosting so if you would like to see my diagram i can email it to you promptly.

It would be very helpful to know if the OPRV would vent fast enough and if the hammer mechanism is feasible. IF something like this has been done before please send me a link to the page, for i could not find anything similar.

This is my first thread so please be gentle.

That principle is actually... Quite a good idea. Thanks for the idea. And also, the only problem with that method is like Roboman said- the airflow wouldn't be large enough to get a significant function.

You COULD hybridize a Longshot and the MagStrike, in a sense... Using an LS shell and installing the MS bladder in the back, a pump and air routing in the front under teh gun and use the boltsled as your clipfeed system and hammer, it'd be locked back by the trigger, released, then bang, the problem comes in returning the bolt to firing position.

EDIT: Nevermind, teh SCUNBAG is what I was talking about.

PS. How the french toast do you make the link appear all prettily, Robo?

Edited by nerfnut23, 20 November 2011 - 03:31 PM.

American society: A legitimate clusterfuck since 1965.

#4 Daniel Beaver

Daniel Beaver

HQRSE CQCK

• Moderators
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 03:59 PM

You're overthinking it. Magstrike-style pistons provide air power to push the dart as well as providing a reciprocating motion which can drive a loading mechanism. You could in principle build a home-made magstrike piston which was connected to an angle breech, which would be capable of fully automatic fire. If you feel ambitious enough to try that, take a look at richochete's youtube channel. Until then, this is all theoretical, and therefore extremely lame.

I, personally, would take the easy way out.

Edited by Daniel Beaver, 20 November 2011 - 04:00 PM.

#5 Langley

Langley

LGLF - Since 2002

• Administrators
  • 2,997 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 04:06 PM

Until then, this is all theoretical, and therefore extremely lame.

yep. Idea thread. Consider this thread closed unless you have something concrete to show us.

You can poop in my toilet anytime champ.

2016 Nerf War Schedule
Bless you, my son. Now recite 3 New Members Guides and 5 Code of Conducts for your sins.

#6 nick4563

nick4563

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 05:26 PM

yep. Idea thread. Consider this thread closed unless you have something concrete to show us.

Understood, sorry to create a theory thread.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users