First fully auto lego Nerf gun: Raptor CS-35

Nerf gun made out of lego, build instructions

18 replies to this topic

#1 raptorz

raptorz

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 09:25 PM

This is my first thread here, (I hope it was worth the wait to join) So hello NerfHaven

I have had a two of these guns for about a year now, and want to share it with the community now that i have finished university.
the concept came from the barricade, and wanted to modify but I didn't want to damage it (as it was a present from a friend).
So i started prototyping with Lego, using a failed dart reloader as the base (as it fit the cartridges perfectly)
well, to cut a long story short here are the results, see what you think

Range: over 15 meters
ROF: 35 darts in 17 seconds
Lithium Ion powered (14.8v 850Mah) lasts about 8 Hours of use
Volume is less than the barricade
Sturdy in battle, no bits drop off when being handled roughly
the parts are not glued in any way, only 3 switches are glued to a few bricks.
firing push rod always resets itself to quickly fire the next shot, with a smart circuit, whilst eliminating misfiring
light enough to duel wield. (the club i was in stopped me doing so, as i consistently owned them with it) :lol:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

it can also be disassembled for transport.

Posted Image

3D Cgi pan

Firing demo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXB9sTer2mM

video of the internal mechanism:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtFO2syIfps

edit: The full step by step, build instructions for this gun are now on instructables.com
For the full guide look, Here

Edited by raptorz, 08 November 2011 - 09:57 PM.

#2 spencerak

spencerak

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 09:34 PM

That thing dual wielded should be banned...

Holy shit it's Captain Slug.

#3 The Nerfaholic

The Nerfaholic

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 09:59 PM

Congrats! At first I didn't think it'd get too much power, but the video disproved me. Good job!
Roses are red, And violets are blue. One day we'll cruise down Blood Gulch avenue.

#4 Juggernaut

Juggernaut

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 10:07 PM

Man that is impressive and I assume you used some sort of adhesive to bind the legos to assist there regular attaching ability?

#5 agc2k

agc2k

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 10:34 PM

Awesome mod!

#6 andtheherois

andtheherois

• Banned
  • 821 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 11:18 PM

Man that is impressive and I assume you used some sort of adhesive to bind the legos to assist there regular attaching ability?

the parts are not glued in any way, only 3 switches are glued to a few bricks.

---
This is pretty sweet. 50 out of a flywheel blaster isn't bad, Though I'm not too big on the idea that we need legos to build it. That said, good job going into unexplored territory with a homemade flywheel blaster.

Edited by andtheherois, 15 October 2011 - 11:20 PM.

The YooToobz
Photobucket

Winning rounds is rewarding, deal with it. We don't play fucking patty cake over here.

#7 chavez guy

chavez guy

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 09:03 AM

I had always hoped someone would build a lego nerf gun one day. Lo and behold, there it is.
Hablamos EspaƱol

#8 raptorz

raptorz

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 09:47 AM

I had always hoped someone would build a lego nerf gun one day. Lo and behold, there it is.

this is what happens when I challenge myself to make something, i go out of my way to make it as good as i can.

its a similar story for my WOODEN 8 Dart Nerf clip.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

p.s. this was a prototype that I built a while ago (and been gathering dust on a shelf), it is a fully functioning replica of a Nerf clip, however I stopped refining it after I discovered Velcro tipped darts are too long to fit... however it could be easily re-disigned to work with Stefans shorter than the Nerf stock dart.

Edited by raptorz, 16 October 2011 - 04:19 PM.

#9 Marcodevil

Marcodevil

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 04:12 PM

Your last post is kinda off topic.
On topic:
Nice, i'm gonna see in my lego parts bin if I have all the pieces and maybe hook it up to a 22.2v Lipo that i have.

#10 raptorz

raptorz

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 08:51 AM

Your last post is kinda off topic.

First of all, sorry for the random post......
Secondly, sorry for the delayed response I can't make more than 2 posts per day....

It would be nice to get feedback from anyone who tries to build one of these guns, and suggest any improvements I can make to the build instructions.

Any parts that are missing from you LEGO kits can be found here for a reasonable price
http://www.bricklink.com/browse.asp

extra Non-LEGO parts required
2x micro switches (maplin code GW67X)
1x micro on/off switch (maplin code FF77J)
1x micro DPDT 12 relay (maplin code N04AW)
2x Li-Po battery pack around 7.4v or 4x 14500(AA) Li-po Cells
Posted Image

let me know how it goes when you try the 22.2v lipo, I just hope your motors can handel it :)

Edited by raptorz, 21 October 2011 - 02:10 PM.

#11 raptorz

raptorz

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 07:54 PM

Build instructions now have images on how to attach the non LEGO parts to the gun.
Build instructions have been updated to Beta
http://www.mediafire...8bk5fyb9ph28745

More updates to come soon.

Edited by raptorz, 20 October 2011 - 07:28 PM.

#12 gehaga

gehaga

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 09:43 PM

I felt this topic is worthy enough for my first post here on the haven because I love Lego.
This may be the most original and goofy looking thing I have ever seen in my 3 years of lurking this sight. I absolutely love this thing for its lack of safety features in that the flywheels are completely exposed, striking fear into anyone you barrel tap. I can't wait to replicate your auto advancing arm. Keep up the good work.

Send me a PM with your address, credit card info, a scandalous picture of your mother, and your social security number. Okay, I'm kidding about the social. And the credit card.

#13 raptorz

raptorz

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 07:27 PM

I am currently obtaining the required electrical parts, to make a detailed instructions on wiring the internal electronics.

A closer look at the internal mechanics of the gun can be seen here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtFO2syIfps

- does anyone think the voltage indicator should be made default or optional? (cost is aprox $6)
Posted Image

I was just contemplating making it run on 14500 Li-Po (AA) cells. (as I can't source my Li-Po packs anymore)
It would mean I would have to extend the gun backwards by about 2cm /3 studs.... anyone interested in me doing this?
Posted ImagePosted Image

@gehaga thank you for making your first post here :)
there is a partial safety feature, the guard around the front, true its more to protect the Flywheels from damage than your fingers....
however you can poke it when its running at full speed, and it just makes me jump a bit :P
this it the guard.
Posted Image
and the gun without it
Posted ImagePosted Image
(I made a full cover once, but if it jams (it never does) you couldn't get at the dart, and it also makes it look fugly)

Edited by raptorz, 20 October 2011 - 07:31 PM.

#14 raptorz

raptorz

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 10:55 PM

Full build instructions have been uploaded to instructables.com if anyone is interested click here

#15 wespelarno

wespelarno

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 08:47 AM

This is the coolest homemade I have seen in a long time. Well done dude.

I assume you could alter the rate of fire by fiddling with the gear of the advancing arm?
Someday, we're gonna break free from these chains and you know, someday, we're gonna dance with those lions

#16 Ross Varn

Ross Varn

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 02:28 PM

This is seriously cool. As a Technic manipulator of Lego myself, I may have to give this a shot. Congrats on the awesome build.

Have you integrated any other stabilization tricks besides the crosspiece bars? Not being glued, I just winced at the thought of taking a spill while wielding this. T'would not be a pretty sight.
Loadout: My wits, nerve, and a burgundy red Alpha Trooper. Resident of Charleston SC. PM me if you want to arrange some shenanigans.

#17 raptorz

raptorz

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 05:36 PM

This is the coolest homemade I have seen in a long time. Well done dude.

I assume you could alter the rate of fire by fiddling with the gear of the advancing arm?

Yes, the gearing can be changed to increase rate of fire, but on my attempts it reduced the range as I think the ROF was too high and the flywheels lost momentum, however using a voltage/speed regulator, and low ratio gear would allow you to tune the ROF perfectly.
I have the gearing of 3:1 to allow for the most basic circuit I can make do the job, however more efficient systems could be made using Semiconductors.

This is seriously cool. As a Technic manipulator of Lego myself, I may have to give this a shot. Congrats on the awesome build.

Have you integrated any other stabilization tricks besides the crosspiece bars? Not being glued, I just winced at the thought of taking a spill while wielding this. T'would not be a pretty sight.

Thank you :)
The crosspieces are the only real structural support needed, the gun is pretty sturdy with all of the bricks overlapping and have never had any problems with bits dropping off the body or handles, the only real problem I have had was the flywheel structure coming lose, when stuck with enough force. The problem was reduced with the Pistons at the front (I am still looking into a more sturdy & simple solution) I dropped the gun once in battle, and only took about 20 -30 seconds to fix (pre piston fix)
If you are absolutely paranoid about it falling apart you could use glue, but IMHO it defeats the structural challenge of Lego.

I am thinking of making an abusive use video to show the sturdiness of the gun, sometime soon.

Oh, just to spit a idea out in the open, this gun makes a really good turret gun.

Edited by raptorz, 05 November 2011 - 09:07 PM.

#18 raptorz

raptorz

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 09:53 PM

The build instructions for this gun have been uploaded to instructables
For the full guide look, Here

#19 raptorz

raptorz

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 07:28 PM

The guns design has been modified to accept 4x 14500 lithium-ion batteries, instead of the discontinued ones that I originally used.
The range of the gun level, has been tuned to get a range of about 90feet (89, 92, 94, 88)at the cost of increased noise.

If anybody wants the electronics to be pre-made, I am willing to make them up and post them to you. So all you have to do is glue the switches in place.

The Basic circuit (no voltage monitor) will cost around 26USD
The Advanced circuit (voltage monitor) will cost around 40USD
And the batteries and charger will cost around 20USD

Edited by raptorz, 26 November 2011 - 07:39 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users