Home Made Vortex Ammo !

4 replies to this topic

#1 Saber18

Saber18

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 09:24 PM

Hi Everybody ( Hello Dr. Nic)
I've been trying to make my own vortex rings now for quite a while and I thought you all would
like to know the system I settled on. I found some stuff at a local craft shop called Card Stock
paper. Its just reeally thick construction paper from what I can tell. Once you get the card stock
cut out some 5.5 x 1.25 inch rectangles. Sorry for the non metric measurments. Once you get
the rectangles (you can usually get about ten per page) cut out, measure .5 inches in and make
an even line going down the rectangle. The rectangle of paper is now devided up into two
sections, one bigger than the other. Fold the bigger part in half and then fold it again to where
you have an edge thats 3 times as thick as the other. Then take some electrical tape ( the good
kind most cheaper brands wont stick to paper) and covere the buldge down the length of the
paper. Put one more strip of tape on the back of the paper. Rub the now tape
covered piece of
paper on a sharp edge to give i a nice curl. After this connect the ends using a piece of electrical
tape. Once thats done your left with a Vortex ring that goes just as far and is just as accurate as
a normal ring and a whole lot cheaper. The only downside is if they get wet they fly apart
considering they are made out of thick papere and electrical tape. But most people with Vortex
guns use them primarily indoors so moisture shouldnt be to big of a problem. I hope this helps
and happy nerfing. If I left anything out or you have any quesions just ask.

I call them evans <---- (My first name)

Here are some pics
http://img66.photobu...18/MVC-004F.jpg
http://img66.photobu...18/MVC-002F.jpg
http://img66.photobu...18/MVC-005F.jpg

Edited by Saber18, 14 May 2004 - 10:10 PM.

#2 Vintage

Vintage

• Members
  • 462 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 10:59 PM

Thanks for posting this on Nerf Haven, as I am not too active on NHQ. But, I still have a problem with the grip of the rings in the Firestorm's rotating magazine.

The problem is that when the gun is cocked back, then forward, the ring gets bumped out of the holder. The original rubber rings are very flexible, and stickier to keep them halfway in the ring holder when cocked.

It's a great idea, and I am sure if I could get ideas as to how to keep it in the ammo holder, I will use it alot. Maybe adding a very thin coat of rubber cement will help.

Edit: I have proven the effectiveness of the rings. They fly just as far as the originals, but very cheap since I can get white card stock at Target for $2 for 100 sheets or so. I just need to keep them held in the firing position, and not popping off as is most times the case.

~Vintage

Edited by Vintage, 14 May 2004 - 11:03 PM.

You can get much further with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone
~Al Capone

#3 VoLT

VoLT

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 08:00 PM

This is the best thing since chili cheese fries. Which came shortly after sliced bread.
Unfortunately I don't have any Vortex weapons at the moment, but it will probably help people who are buying the guns off eBay without ammo (I wish I had seen this sooner and I might have gotten that Firestorm off eBay. :cry: 18 freakin' bucks!)
"Don't hate the little man cuz he's packing a six shooter!" - midget from GTA: San Andreas

My username is a good example of what happens when you leave caps lock on.

#4 Half Newb Half Nerfer

Half Newb Half Nerfer

• Members
  • 737 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 07:22 AM

Cool. If I ever get a Vortex weapon I'll definetly make these. Great Job.

#5 Groove

Groove

Certified Badass

• Founders
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 10:50 AM

That sounds great, I'll have to try it sometime.

"Too close for missiles, I'm switchin' to guns"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users