Photo

SSPB (Secret Strike Pocket Blaster) Expanded Tank

11 replies to this topic

#1 popatachi

popatachi

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 07:00 PM

The tank expanded SSPB is an easy project if you're looking to fill some time or mess around.

Thanks to BrokenSVT and TaerKitty for the pictures and original mod.

Youtube Video

Materials:
- SSPB
- Optional: CPVC Coupler / Barrel
- CPVC endcaps (2) / 1/2" CPVC - 1.5" length
- 1/4" OD hose
- Optional: 2 nozzles from Titan/Hornet/Air Tech blasters
- Optional: Zip tie

Tools:
- Dremel/Drill
- Files
- Glue (Zap-a-Gap/CPVC Cement)

Step 1: External Tank
Take the 1.5" length of CPVC tube and create a hole using a dremel/drill for either your hose or nozzle in the center of the tube. If you are using a nozzle, make sure there is enough clearance for the nozzle cap when the CPVC end caps are attached. Glue the nozzle and CPVC end caps and check for any leaks.

Posted Image

Step 2: SSPB Cutting
Using your dremel/drill, carefully create a hole in the SSPB tank. Do not drill very deep as the check valve is in the center of the tank. Once you have an opening widen the hole for either your tubing or nozzle. Make sure to clean the tank as possible from any filings and plastic bits.

Cut down the barrel according to the barrel you are going to use. I chose to keep some of the barrel intact to help support the CPVC coupler. Your setup may differ. Once that is cut, remove the support underneath the barrel and clean it up.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Step 3: ARR
Use your dremel or needle nose pliers to remove the AR and clean it up as best as possible. Try to not touch or get too close to the front of the check value and clean it up as much as possible.

Step 4: Shell Work
Try to eyeball where the tank's opening is in the shell and create a hold that will align with the tank. If you are going to use a CPVC coupler, you will need to widen the original barrel opening. I had to cut open some of the side walls but I was able to not have to cut through the top screw port.

If you are using a nozzle, make sure that you can still remove the shell with the nozzle attached. The nozzle I used as a small ridge that I almost didn't catch.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Step 5: Glue
Glue the nozzle/hose to the SSPB tank and the coupler/barrel to the SSPB barrel. And let that dry. Check for any leaks in the SSPB tank by plugging the barrel. Air may leak out a little as the check valve doesn't fully seal until there is a bit of pressure behind it.

Posted Image

Step 6: All Done!
Assemble all the pieces together and zip tie the tank to the bottom of the SSPB and you're all done.

Posted Image

Youtube Video

Ranges: Average 85' flat.
Tank fills with about 20 - 25 pumps.

Overall, this mod is really easy and fun. Minus the drying time for glue and finding the right nozzle pieces, it was probably 4 - 5 hours to complete this mod.

If you have some time to kill or just want to have a secondary project going, I would recommend this one.

Edited by popatachi, 11 October 2011 - 09:41 AM.

#2 taerKitty

taerKitty

• Members
  • 883 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 07:11 PM

Any tips on how to clean out the inside of the tank? That seems to be where I always fail.
Fugly is a feature.

#3 KoRnEd

KoRnEd

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 07:16 PM

Well, in my experience, the easiest way is to drill the hole with the drill bit facing upwards, so that the plastic scraps fall down instead of into the tank. Also, I believe pumping water in may help get some plastic scraps out.

20:07 tiredKitty living in NYC, you could spend a lot of time in Chinatown and only speak the mother tongue
20:07 tiredKitty Not a good idea, btw.

I have identified the problem: "maverick"

#4 Nate45

Nate45

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 07:31 PM

What did you use to connect the tubing to the tank and SSPB?

#5 agc2k

agc2k

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 08:16 PM

Awesome mod. I will have to do this when I get another SSPB.

#6 popatachi

popatachi

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 08:16 PM

@taerKitty: I used my needle files to help pick out the big pieces and you can spin the inner core and gently scrape off more of the tinier bits. Other than that, just blowing into the tank will help. I'm sure these are things that you've already tried.

@KoRnEd: That would be difficult for me personally and I'm not sure about the water as it seemed the check valve was oiled and lubed but a little bit may not hurt. Good idea.

@Nate45: I can't honestly remember. I believe one was from an AT pump and possibly a hornet nozzle but it was in my parts bin for while.

#7 spencerak

spencerak

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 08:24 PM

I see this integrated into a Night Finder the vertical way with the expanded tank in the handle of the NF.

Holy shit it's Captain Slug.

#8 Mirsho

Mirsho

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 08:49 PM

Awesome, I applaud the cleanliness. Do you think this will work even without the nozzles from the hornet ? Will gooping the tubes be sufficient enough ?

#9 Buffdaddy

Buffdaddy

Do not buy from this member

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 824 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 08:54 PM

There are several possibilities, be it hose barb connectors of brass or nylon, that you could use. Or be a cheap person and simple goop/5-minute epoxy the tubing in place. Mainly just depends how cleanly you can mod this without screwing up the backpressure tank.

#10 soloz1

soloz1

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 01:01 AM

So clean! I make reeeeally shitty sspb tank expansions.

...Man, if I lived on Oahu, I would've dropped in on Pineapple by now. On Molokai. Via Kayak. ...Fuck, we're depending on you guys to defend us from 3DBBQ, get your shit together already.

#11 plopper4568

plopper4568

• Banned
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 09:36 AM

looking good might try my self :)

Edited by plopper4568, 11 October 2011 - 08:43 PM.

#12 The Nerfaholic

The Nerfaholic

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 02:05 PM

Awesome job! I have to look around the plumbing section of Home Depot for nozzles. I don't have any from air guns already sadly.

Edit: They do in fact sell brass ones that fit perfectly, they are just a little tricky to get inside the CPVC tank.

Edited by The Nerfaholic, 12 October 2011 - 09:19 PM.

Roses are red, And violets are blue. One day we'll cruise down Blood Gulch avenue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users