Jump to content


Photo

Longshot Breech Troubleshoot


3 replies to this topic

#1 Limeaway

Limeaway

    Member

  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 09:33 PM

*Firing test*


Note that this firing test was done before I got the [k26] spring.

Finally got around ordering some [k26] springs from McMaster. I was told that the inconsistent shots I was getting in the video was due to the fact I was running a really weak spring combo, so I'm hoping the [k26] spring will solve that issue. Searched around for some recommendations on what length to cut the spring down to. I found a post on sgnerf that said to start at about 5 inches and work down from there. I tried 5 inches and it was extremely difficult to prime the blaster. It took way too much effort to get the priming handle all the way back, and once I did the trigger plate wouldn't even catch. So I cut down the spring some more and I'm now at about 4 inches. At this length, the blaster is still a little difficult to prime, but it's definitely a lot more manageable and probably a lot more practical during a game.

Unfortunately, I'm still unable to get the trigger plate to catch. If you look below, you'll see a picture of my trigger plate with the two springs on it. I'm using the stock spring plus another which I took from behind a little piece in the longshot stock. Using this spring combo, the trigger plate would catch with no issues when I was using the stock longshot spring and a recon spring inside the plunger (as you can see on the video above). I know it's not an issue of the plunger rod not going back far enough to catch the trigger plate, because I already resolved that issue the first time around. If you look at the first picture below, you can see I added a piece of felt padding to the plunger rod. I even went back to my first spring combo to make sure that the gun could prime, and it did.

Super frustrating -___-; I've put in so much time, effort, and money ( :( ) into this dang thing and every time I think I've got it perfect, some other issue comes up, lol. But anyways, I'm assuming that the blaster isn't priming simply because the catch spring just isn't strong enough to support the strength of the [k26]? Can anyone confirm that for me? Also, have I cut my [k26] spring down to a length too short to even be effective? At least I can scrap it for my nitefinder if I have.

Click to enlarge the pictures.

Plunger rod with padding
Posted Image

This is what the plunger rod looks like with the spacer/padding
Posted Image

Posted Image

Stock spring and spring from the stock
Posted Image

Edited by Limeaway, 08 October 2011 - 02:57 AM.

  • 0

#2 WicketTheModder619

WicketTheModder619

    Member

  • Members
  • 247 posts
  • Location:Northwest, Indiana
  • State:Indiana
  • Country:United States

Posted 07 October 2011 - 10:24 PM

You are going to want your spring to be longer than 4 inches for sure. If a [k26] is too hard to prime, then maybe use something weaker? A [k25] will produce results that are just as good. Also, I don't think your catch spring combo is strong enough. If you want to never had problems again, use a cut down Ace #2 spring for the catch spring. Hope you get it working soon.
  • 0
23:06 Buffdaddy: As long as they aren't doing it all night, don't care.

#3 Papershruiken

Papershruiken

    Member

  • Members
  • 7 posts
  • Location:Schenectady, NY
  • State:New York
  • Country:United States

Posted 08 October 2011 - 02:30 PM

I had this problem too. I used hot glue to secure my catch spring(s) to the catch piece. The glue created a kind of spacer underneath the springs, so the spring gets compressed more.
I know the standard size that is used for AR-15 springs is 4 3/4'', and the AR-15 spring and the [k26] aren't that different.
PM me if you get it working, I'm curious as to how this turns out.

Edited by Papershruiken, 08 October 2011 - 02:34 PM.

  • 0

#4 Limeaway

Limeaway

    Member

  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 04:02 PM

Here's what SGNerf told me on his forum:

"Attach more layers of padding on the plunger head until it catches.

Sometimes when stronger springs are installed, they end up bending and stretching the bolt sled arms during priming, this prevents the plunger from being pulled fully back... the difference can be just 1-2mm of draw distance (due to the stretched bolt sled) and that causes it not to catch.

Just for reference, the aftermarket springs i use in my modded Longshots have similar load (in some versions even stronger) compared to [k26] springs, but i'm still using the stock catch springs and all my units catch perfectly, so the issue isn't with the catch springs, its mainly the plunger draw travel."

I did a quick ghetto rig fix just to see if adding the extra padding/spacer was going to help at all. I just took a couple pieces of double sided tape and slapped it under the padding i had on the plunger rod. It added about 3mm of extra length to the plunger rod. I went ahead and put the gun back together and now the gun catches just fine. Looks like parts were just tweaking a bit like SGNerf said.

I just finished super gluing two pieces of the felt padding I'm using. This'll replace that ghetto ass fix I had goin lol. The two pieces of felt make a piece of padding just about half an inch tall.

I also cut another spring, its around the 4-1/2 inch range, maybe a little more. But I did a couple of test shots and my goodness, lol. I was kind of freaked out how fast the darts were shooting out, haha.

I am however still having problems with darts getting stuck inside the barrel after pulling the trigger. At this point though, I'm led to believe that I'm getting those "jams" simply because of crappy quality foam. My streamlines are pretty beat up, so I'm planning on buying a new set of darts. Hopefully thatll be the end of the barrel jams.
  • 0


0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users