Vigilon Help?

Hop up mech

6 replies to this topic

#1 Blue

Blue

• Members
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 07:43 PM

I modded my Vigilon basically by stripping out all the internals and building it back up. In case anyone is interested, you cannot simply unscrew the powerbox and tinker with the spring. There is a glued bolt going through it; I dremeled the head off the bolt then superglued it back together after relocating the spring. Anyways, the issue I'm having is the hop-up or whatever it is that makes these discs spin. My proton is consistently shooting at least 20 feet farther than my vigilon and I didn't even take the screw to the third notch on the proton. So, I assume this is something to do with the hop up. Comparing the inside of the "barrel" (sled? Whatever it is the disc shoots out of) the only difference I see is a little nub thing that sits underneath the piece that looks like a pizza cutter.

Is this nub bit important?
Is there a spring of some sort that pushes either the pizza cutter looking thing or the plastic disc thing?

Any other tips?

Sidenote, the vigilon is A LOT more fun with the safeties out because it works so much smoother.

Pics up later tonight too. Up now

Removed pieces: (Nub part is the peg on the far left)
Posted Image
Look down the barrel... couldn't get any better pic, sorry.
Posted Image
Pieces in the stock vigilon:
Posted Image

Edited by Blue, 21 September 2011 - 10:08 PM.

#2 Meaker VI

Meaker VI

• Moderators
  • 1,190 posts
  • State:Washington
  • u/MeakerVI on Reddit

Posted 22 September 2011 - 11:01 AM

Anyways, the issue I'm having is the hop-up or whatever it is that makes these discs spin. My proton is consistently shooting at least 20 feet farther than my vigilon and I didn't even take the screw to the third notch on the proton. So, I assume this is something to do with the hop up. Comparing the inside of the "barrel" (sled? Whatever it is the disc shoots out of) the only difference I see is a little nub thing that sits underneath the piece that looks like a pizza cutter.

Is this nub bit important?

If you haven't taken out all of the safeties/automechs/whatever other nonsense that's in there; you'd see that working the jam-release will lower that nub. My guess as to it's function is that it helps keep the disc in the barrel before launching. The "hop up" is the little wheel on the side of the barrel/launching sled area; it should just fall off when you're tearing it down because it's not held in with anything. I'd keep that though, it probably helps with accuracy. My guess as to your problem is that you've somehow tampered with something that makes the nub work properly, and now it's either blocking the disc from launching or it's not holding the disc in place for proper launching.

Hope that helps.

#3 Blue

Blue

• Members
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 02:52 PM

If you haven't taken out all of the safeties/automechs/whatever other nonsense that's in there; you'd see that working the jam-release will lower that nub. My guess as to it's function is that it helps keep the disc in the barrel before launching. The "hop up" is the little wheel on the side of the barrel/launching sled area; it should just fall off when you're tearing it down because it's not held in with anything. I'd keep that though, it probably helps with accuracy. My guess as to your problem is that you've somehow tampered with something that makes the nub work properly, and now it's either blocking the disc from launching or it's not holding the disc in place for proper launching.

Hope that helps.

I'll take my vigilon apart and take pictures of everything as I go. Just compared my stock vigilon to modded, stock goes a good 5 feet farther and the discs are in a tight cluster. I'll put that nub back in, what you say makes sense... Thanks.

EDIT: Not noticing any difference with the nubs in or not. At any rate I will sand down the circles on the ends so that they no longer function as safeties. There is a little spring loaded arm thing on the end of the pullback thing, this is not actuated at all. I'm thinking that maybe when you pull the trigger that arm is released at the same time as powerbox which would definitely give the disc some good spin. I'll take a pic of this too.

Edited by Blue, 22 September 2011 - 04:22 PM.

#4 OneWingedAngel

OneWingedAngel

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 01:07 AM

The hop up is held in place by the jam release, nothing else holds it up or affects it in any way, so I'm slightly confused as to your problem. The "nub" piece IIRC is the "Disc in chamber" lock, i.e. if there's not a loaded disc you can't fire the blaster. In my Vigilon there are no locks or anything and it works just fine for me. If you have issues, you can try wrapping the hop up once or twice in e-tape and see if that helps your problem.

#5 arfink

arfink

• Members
  • 246 posts
  • State:Minnesota

Posted 25 September 2011 - 12:15 PM

If that nub is the piece I think it is (white, kinda rubbery) it's actually a bumper to help cushion the impact of the throwing arm. There have been two bumpers in every vortex gun I have opened: one on the "spring box" that is fairly large and a smaller one, usually with a spring behind it, that cushions the tip of the throwing arm when it comes crashing forward. On my Praxis this piece fell out when I opened the spring box- it was positioned in the bottom of the barrel, resting right in front of the throw lever when it was at rest. You could conceivably fire your blaster without this piece, but it may be detrimental to the throwing arm.

EDIT: ok, reread your post. The safeties on the Vigilon look nearly identical to the Praxis. That longer red post with the nub on the end (leftmost piece in the picture) is part of the trigger block, and should not affect the spin mechanism.

The spin mechanism is the small wheel that's in the barrel. It's supposed to press the discs against the opposite side wall so they'll roll against the wall and receive spin. Also, the wheel is what holds the disk in the "chamber" and doesn't move outwards- when the arm pulls the disk past the wheel it just crushes the sides of the disk in. In this sense it's not really a "hop up," but I guess you could call it that. If this wheel is not in the right place or is not turning really freely you will have spin issues. It's also possible your disks are getting dirty and are too slippery on their edges, or some of the mechanism lubricant from inside the blaster has gotten on the side wall of the barrel, which is reducing grip. Perhaps a cotton swab can remove any excess lube that got in the barrel?

Edited by arfink, 25 September 2011 - 12:27 PM.

A2GS + 4 meg RAM + 128 meg CF + 9600 Baud Lantronix = WIN

#6 Blue

Blue

• Members
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 05:52 PM

Thanks for the info Arfink. I still have that little wheel in place, but I took out the little lock thing that has a switch on the side of the gun. The jam release switch I believe. I left the actual switch, so when you pull the switch the little arm thing swings out in the bolt pushing the disc (if one is loaded.) I don't think that piece touches the wheel, but from what you are saying would simply super gluing the wheel mech in place possibly fix this? Not the actual wheel of course, just the bar part that the wheel rotates on.

#7 Meaker VI

Meaker VI

• Moderators
  • 1,190 posts
  • State:Washington
  • u/MeakerVI on Reddit

Posted 26 September 2011 - 07:00 PM

The spin mechanism is the small wheel that's in the barrel. It's supposed to press the discs against the opposite side wall so they'll roll against the wall and receive spin. Also, the wheel is what holds the disk in the "chamber" and doesn't move outwards- when the arm pulls the disk past the wheel it just crushes the sides of the disk in. In this sense it's not really a "hop up," but I guess you could call it that. ...

I'm not sure about this. I know that the wheel presses against the disc; but I'm not sure that the friction of the disc against the sidewall or the friction of the disc against the wheel is what is causing the spin; I suppose you could figure it out based on which way the disc spins when it comes out (if it spins toward the wheel - clockwise-, the wheel's making it spin; if it spins away from the wheel -counter-clockwise, it's the sidewall). It appears to function the exact same way I understand hop-up functioning, just on a disc instead of on a ball.

As for the issue at hand, I'd believe that that little nub is a disc-in-barrel lock, it does move when you pull the jam release but that might be to avoid jamming further. I don't think you can see it when the disc is loaded.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users