Painting Tutorial

Heavy weathering: Faking Time

4 replies to this topic

#1 atomatron

atomatron

• Members
  • 579 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 09:59 PM

Some of you may have seen the PAS I did in the MOD/PJ thread, If not feel free to check it out.

This is a Tutorial for a technique I have developed to replicate the look of heavy wear on blasters or what have you. For this tutorial I will demonstrate using a molded clay part I made for a sculpture class I took.

Materials
-The thing to be painted (sanded and primed)
-Silver or other metallic metal-looking spray paint
-An assortment of water based acrylic paints
-Brushes
-Paper towels (with an abrasive, inconsistent surface)
-Water
-Time
-Skill(can be substituted with Confidence)

I have these things
Begin, taking the thing you want painted after it has been primed and such, I have a few of these.
Posted Image

And painting it again, with the metallic spray paint you chose, silver(color) is a good choice as it can be used to emulate steel, aluminum, nickel and a great many other materials.
Posted Image

I mixed up some light grey acrylic for my primer-emulate and applied it to most of the surface.
Posted Image

Then you wad up a piece of paper towel..
Here's the tricky part; waiting until the paint has dried enough but not too much. If it comes off when you touch it it's too soon. If you wait too long it will be difficult to rub the acrylic off but manageable.
Posted Image

Repeat for other things, red for the handle of this thing.
Posted Image

This shows what happens when you don't wait long enough (on the right), the paint just gets moved around and looks bad.
Posted Image

Then I repeated the process for the third color; greenish, over the primer emulate areas, where the least wear would be recieved.
Posted Image

Now for the grime, first mix up some black-brown sludge looking stuff and apply it to the places with recesses and whatever features you want to exaggerate.
Posted Image

Remove it more lazily than with the other colors.
Posted Image

Looks ok, you could stop here if you wanted to.
Posted Image

There's another step I decided to take; oxidation. For my "steel" I'm using a bright orange. For copper/bronze/brass I would mix a light bluish green.Slather on the areas where the first metallic color is showing, rust doesn't propagate on paint.
Posted Image

More rubbing, pretend it's a magic lamp or something.
Posted Image

It's still a little bright so I decided to do another grime layer.
Posted Image

Then clear-coat the thing: finished product.
Posted Image

And THAT's how you fake decades of wear. Any questions?
Perche Germolgi. [Because it shoots]

Rainbow Clan

#2 flamingeyes245

flamingeyes245

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 10:27 PM

This is absolutely amazing! When I first saw your PAS I was quite skeptical, as the camera angle did not do it justice. Now that I see this method up close, I cannot believe how detailed, yet seemingly simple it is. Bravo, atomatron.
Keep your friends close,
And your Nerf guns closer.

External Modification contest, check it out!

Using anything I write as a sig makes your penis shoot rainbows. Bitches LOVE rainbows
^^VACC

#3 moosa

moosa

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 05:39 PM

It looks very nice. Great job.
Yes.

#4 arfink

arfink

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 01:58 PM

Very cool! Have you done whole blasters with this technique? I'd love to see pics of them.
A2GS + 4 meg RAM + 128 meg CF + 9600 Baud Lantronix = WIN

#5 atomatron

atomatron

• Members
  • 579 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 08:42 AM

Very cool! Have you done whole blasters with this technique? I'd love to see pics of them.

I did that PAS but I'll probably be doing it to some stuff I have lying around in the near future.
Perche Germolgi. [Because it shoots]

Rainbow Clan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users