PAS - Speed Modding Challenge!

How fast can you mod your PAS? :)

22 replies to this topic

#1 SgNerf

SgNerf

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 01:08 PM

Experienced modders who have worked on the ERTL Pump Action Shotgun (PAS) will know how easy it is to convert it from firing its original foam ball ammo to firing customized foam dart ammo... and most have experienced the nice 90-100ft ranges that can be easily achieved even with just the stock spring and plunger seal (especially when matched with the right foam dart and barrel setup).

But exactly how fast can it be done?

This "speed modding challenge" came about a while back when one of my colleagues got his brand new PAS in the mail, then he proceeded to open the box and mod his unit on the spot, so we quickly took the opportunity to time the entire conversion process. As the conversion mod is easily reversible, it eventually became a sort of fun competition amongst the guys to see who can mod faster!

Some new modders might wonder how a PAS can be modded quickly and easily, so i created a demo video to show how its done.

Here is how to transform a 15ft range foam ball blaster into a 90-100ft range foam dart blaster... in just 3 minutes! :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMSXNmJuwbo

Yeah, it kinda makes modding most other blasters look way too time consuming and tedious in comparison (to achieve similiar ranges). :D

Edited by SgNerf, 05 September 2011 - 11:04 PM.

Nerf News & Reviews! >> http://www.sgnerf.blogspot.com
Nerf Mod Guides! >> http://www.modworks.blogspot.com

#2 moosa

moosa

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 07:53 PM

Haha I like this! Most of the time is just watching you handle the screws.
Are there any other blasters that are this easy to mod?
Yes.

#3 dizzyduck

dizzyduck

• Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 09:08 PM

Haha I like this! Most of the time is just watching you handle the screws.
Are there any other blasters that are this easy to mod?

Big Blast: saw off missile post, insert barrel, secure barrel. Instant 90+-foot-shooting blaster.
Duck off.
Art & Stuff

#4 taerKitty

taerKitty

• Members
  • 883 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 09:28 PM

Splat. Cut 3-4" of 1/2" or 17/32" brass, secure in stock barrel.
Fugly is a feature.

#5 roboman

roboman

• Members
  • 489 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 09:32 PM

Splat. Cut 3-4" of 1/2" or 17/32" brass, secure in stock barrel.

Splat. Put a dart in the stock barrel.

Youtube

LS and Retaliator boltsleds are currently available at https://www.facebook.com/RoboM8/

#6 Curly

Curly

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 10:07 PM

That's awesome how fast you work. I would love to see people challenge themselves and mod a suitable blaster just before a round begins.

Captain Slug mentioned years ago that people really shouldn't use jeweler's screwdrivers like that. They can cause hand cramps and even carpal tunnel symptoms due to their awkward size. Pick up a nice set with rubber grips. You can ask for left-handed ones if you so desire.

Edited by Curly, 03 September 2011 - 10:09 PM.

#7 moosa

moosa

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 12:15 AM

Captain Slug mentioned years ago that people really shouldn't use jeweler's screwdrivers like that. They can cause hand cramps and even carpal tunnel symptoms due to their awkward size. Pick up a nice set with rubber grips. You can ask for left-handed ones if you so desire.

You actually get much more torque out of a driver with a fat grip. The difference is really significant. But for whatever reason it seems to be uncommon to find drivers with those small sizes and a full-sized grip, while it's very common to find those jeweler-style drivers when looking for the small sizes.

Edited by moosa, 04 September 2011 - 12:15 AM.

Yes.

#8 tim3716

tim3716

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 12:32 AM

Just use a drill with a screwdriver bit.

#9 SgNerf

SgNerf

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 12:58 AM

That's awesome how fast you work. I would love to see people challenge themselves and mod a suitable blaster just before a round begins.

Thanks!

I totally agree... the small precision screwdriver i used can be quite a pain (literally, hand cramp!), i could have probably shaved many seconds off the timing if i had used a proper screwdriver with a nice beefy rubber grip instead. :D

Edited by SgNerf, 04 September 2011 - 02:16 AM.

#10 Cabbage

Cabbage

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 07:33 AM

This might sound noobish but couldn't you have just took out the front screws instead of taking them all out?

So I can't say if the epoxy would hold for 100 cocks or 10.

Britnerf Forum!

#11 SgNerf

SgNerf

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 11:00 AM

This might sound noobish but couldn't you have just took out the front screws instead of taking them all out?

Yes, that can work... i've also done that for quick conversions too, just loosen all the machine screws except for the back 4 screws in the shoulder stock, then the casing can be wedged open wide enough to access the internals (be careful not to break the screw threads at the back though). :D

Interestingly, there is an even easier and faster way:

Just pluck out the plastic blocker gate in the orange ball ammo barrel, then simply stick the e-taped PETG barrel directly into the brown nozzle... don't even need to open the blaster, looks weird but it works too! :lol:

#12 joeri

joeri

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 11:39 AM

I like the idea of this speed modding challenge, but it would be more interesting on a more complex blaster, like a recon.

#13 bennorco

bennorco

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 11:51 AM

I like the idea of this speed modding challenge, but it would be more interesting on a more complex blaster, like a recon.

The recon could be fairly fast. You can do an AR without opening the gun.
Buy this stuff^

#14 joeri

joeri

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 01:14 PM

The recon could be fairly fast. You can do an AR without opening the gun.

Then something like a raider, AT or LStr.
Recon mod without opening seems to be very risky though.

#15 bennorco

bennorco

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 01:39 PM

Then something like a raider, AT or LStr.
Recon mod without opening seems to be very risky though.

So pretty much anything reverse plunger? And no, just doing the AR without opening the gun is less risky if anything. Just take a long 1/2" drill bit and drill straight up the breech.
Buy this stuff^

#16 BOSS9

BOSS9

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 02:16 PM

So pretty much anything reverse plunger? And no, just doing the AR without opening the gun is less risky if anything. Just take a long 1/2" drill bit and drill straight up the breech.

I doubt you've done this before, the peg would have to be removed first, then the AR assembly would just rotate with the drill. This is getting off topic. Impressively quick mod SG, but (this is directed at ones who have commented, not the OP) a more comprehensive display of speed and prowess would be a mod that takes a lot of work, not just to "complicated guns." Something like machining a +bow or a comprehensive overhaul (of a 2/3k, quadshot, RFDG, crossbow etc.) would be what I would like to see someone accomplish timed. But I (and this thread) digress- this isn't about what guns can be modded quickly.

Edited by BOSS9, 05 September 2011 - 03:56 PM.

#17 Nerf Gra

Nerf Gra

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 09:54 PM

(of a 2/3k, quadshot, RFDG, crossbow etc.)

Thats all well and good but the reason this is fun and a challenge is because it is reversable. If you wanted to start a challenge with 2ks or something youd be in it for more money than I would want to spend on a contest (without there being a sugnificant prize) what are unmodded 2ks going for right now? 20-25? I digress.
QUOTE(VelveetaAvenger @ Dec 6 2010, 12:14 AM) View Post

Maybe there's no Mcmaster, but you could make the first coconut airtank.

#18 SgNerf

SgNerf

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 11:37 PM

Thanks for all the comments!

I've always been asked by new modders which blaster is easy to mod and can get good ranges... so one of the objectives in my demo video was also to show new modders that its possible to mod a PAS easily in just a few minutes to get a 90-100ft range blaster. Even someone with no prior modding experience can do it, no need any special tools or skills.

Many new modders tend to go through lots of time and effort (and frustration) doing complicated mods trying to increase ranges in their blasters... yet most of those blasters still can't achieve ranges like a basic re-barreled PAS. :blush:

So i guess its an example of modding time/effort vs range performance. ^_^

#19 Greydon

Greydon

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 01:49 PM

I know this is a few months old...But All I have to say is that as a first time modder, I found this rather helpful. I found one at a garage sale the other day...a little roughed up in the outside. I saw this and decided to give it a go...and I liked it. What about using a RSCB or a hopper with this simple mod? or do I need to add a coupler to use those?

#20 Eraser475

Eraser475

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 05:12 PM

I know, I'm breaking a bigger rule here but I don't care. You would need to coupler it to use a hopper or an RSCB setup.
"That seems like substantially less fun than filling it with beer". -Draconis

"There is no such thing as over kill! If you can carry it and prime it. You're good to go". -Makeitgo

"Admin Edit: Dumbest Crossbow in existence. Congratulations!" <-- Admin in the Show off your crossbow thread.

#21 Eraser475

Eraser475

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 05:14 PM

Whoops

Edited by Eraser475, 05 December 2011 - 05:15 PM.

"That seems like substantially less fun than filling it with beer". -Draconis

"There is no such thing as over kill! If you can carry it and prime it. You're good to go". -Makeitgo

"Admin Edit: Dumbest Crossbow in existence. Congratulations!" <-- Admin in the Show off your crossbow thread.

#22 arfink

arfink

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 04:05 PM

Mortar Pistol: remove the front turret w/screwdriver. Done. Shoots hard, but not too accurate. For better firing, snug some 1/2" PVC over the orange stub, fires stock whistlers like a MOFO. Use e-tape to hold it on like a boss. 80+ feet with whistlers. (note some go much farther, but it's still crazily inaccurate because they are stock darts. Megas fired from this will punch through wallboard at 10 feet.)

Edited by arfink, 06 December 2011 - 04:07 PM.

A2GS + 4 meg RAM + 128 meg CF + 9600 Baud Lantronix = WIN

#23 Daniel Beaver

Daniel Beaver

HQRSE CQCK

• Moderators
  • 2,097 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 06:13 PM

Lanard Blast Bazooka: cut the grate off the end of the barrel. Done!

It really is ridiculous how easy those are to mod. I managed to do it on vacation with a pair of pliers, and nothing else.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users