What you can use

31 replies to this topic

#1 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 03:38 PM

It seems like there's been consternation in some circles concerning the dart restriction comment I made on the Apoc date thread. This is a big part of your war preparation, so I completely understand the concern. There are only two qualifications that darts MUST meet in order to be used at apoc:

1 - Total Dart weight (the weight of a completed dart) must be equal to or less than 1.0g

2 - The tip of each dart must be completely covered with padding

For clarification, acceptible padding would include felt pads, and 3mm thick adhesive backed craft foam. There are a lot of alternative dart materials popping up, so if you would like to pad your darts using something else, this is the place to suggest it. Know, though, that if I don't give you the ok, you won't be able to use them at apoc. Anyone attempting to side step or subvert these rules, or just making dangerous darst, will be told to get the fuck out.

Oh, and I'll allow completely stock darts. You will, however, be mocked for using them.

#2 jwasko

jwasko

PowerBeard

• Moderators
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 04:25 PM

FBR padding?

You could set a minimum thickness, probably something like 5mm/0.5cm or around 0.25"

Edited by jwasko, 26 May 2011 - 04:25 PM.

-Jwasko, STILL Sole Surviving member of Steel City Nerf and Sober Sister of the Sex Dwarves
We NERF ON all day, and FUCK OFF all night

#3 Jilliop

Jilliop

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 08:15 PM

With the whole "being mocked for using stock darts", is that a threat, or a promise?
Also, is there an official date yet? I'm new to the page and bad at navigating and finding things. Thank you!

#4 Nerfan

Nerfan

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 09:01 PM

Would these be acceptable?
Nope

#5 hoongfu

hoongfu

• Members
  • 475 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 04:18 PM

With the whole "being mocked for using stock darts", is that a threat, or a promise?
Also, is there an official date yet? I'm new to the page and bad at navigating and finding things. Thank you!

I plan to use stock, and I am prepared to be mocked. And I'll have a fresh box of Kleenex, or a Shamwow.

#6 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 06:10 PM

I'm fine with the fbr padding. The gumdrop heads are not gonna work. Dense silicone hardly seems padded. I'd have to see some samples ahead of time to be persuaded otherwise.

#7 shmmee

shmmee

• Members
  • 467 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 11:43 PM

I'm fine with the fbr padding. The gumdrop heads are not gonna work. Dense silicone hardly seems padded. I'd have to see some samples ahead of time to be persuaded otherwise.

I don't know what type Nerfan is hoping to make and bring - but I would love to have these considered. I'm no where near going to Apoc, so I was hoping to attend vicariously through a new head. I certainly can't make enough to give samples to every one (even if I was paid - time is more precious than money right now), but Vacc, I'd be willing to send you some samples in exchange for an honest opinion - even if it's a negative one. PM me your address, and I'll send you some finished darts.

I just finished my first batch of felt tipped gumdrop heads. They're a bigger 7/16" mold, (the 3/8" ones were a little light, and flew funny) and I don't know how heavy each head is, but I'll try to find out in over the next week.

Some of the other reviews from people shot by gum drop heads (those made by myself, and by others) rate them as hurting less when compared to hot glue domes. (some said appreciably less at greater distances) At our last war we chose to ban hot glue domes due to complaints, but I didn't get any complaints about my darts.

I don't know where this new batch will stack up, or if the felt will help them hopper feed, but crap - at least they look good.

Posted Image

Edit: The square pictured above has 81 heads and weighs 42 grams. Therefore each head should weigh about .51 grams. (half the 1g limit.) These are an unusually big 7/16" wide by 1/4" tall. Most of what other guys are experimenting with are 3/8" wide, and 1/4" tall or less. Those should be even lighter.

Edited by shmmee, 03 June 2011 - 09:02 PM.

"and we should respect the people who make our blasters. Even if we do molest the hell out of them..."
~BritNerfMogul

#8 evilbunnyo

evilbunnyo

• Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 01:16 PM

Vacc I have some stefans that have minamal glue heads. Its not even a dome its just flat. I know they wouldn't be accepted as is but if I take some extra fbr and cover them would that work. I know you answered this already but I have a different type of stefan sorta. I will post picture of them when I get my camera up and running.
Silence is golden but duct tape is silver

#9 Benbo231

Benbo231

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 08:53 AM

My coffers aren't nearly full enough to be able to handle Stefan mass production at this stage. I did, however, read somewhere about someone plugging up the holes in the rubber heads of streamlines (of which I have plenty) with hot glue, or in some cases just filling the hollow rubber cap entirely. I can't say I know if this would work better, but I plan to find out.

On any note, would either version be banned as a glue dome, even if I kept it under weight?

#10 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 07:12 AM

My coffers aren't nearly full enough to be able to handle Stefan mass production at this stage. I did, however, read somewhere about someone plugging up the holes in the rubber heads of streamlines (of which I have plenty) with hot glue, or in some cases just filling the hollow rubber cap entirely. I can't say I know if this would work better, but I plan to find out.

On any note, would either version be banned as a glue dome, even if I kept it under weight?

Streamlines with fillid in tips have no manner of padding, and are not stock. As such, they will not be allowed.

Schmee, I can't remember if I responded to you over pm, but if they have felt tips and meet the weight requirements, than they're fine.

#11 shepard

shepard

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 03:38 PM

Would #8 washers with 3/8 felf pad work?
LEGALIZE IT!!!!!

#12 Benbo231

Benbo231

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 11:49 PM

Right-o, guvnor. So the totally filled ones are off limits, and the air-holes plugged are not looked upon nicely.what about something along the lines of dropping BBs down the hole in the back, just to add a little more 'oomph'? I also don't know how well these would fare, but if you OK them, I'll give it a shot. Thanks for all the help with this!

#13 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 10:17 AM

On Mcmaster 3/8" refers to the thickness. The width on those pads is way too large. Regardless, as long as the surface of your washer is entirely covered, the felt pad should be fine. #8's should work within that weight restriction, but if you're uncertain weigh them.

Benbo, if you want to use stock darts they need to be completely stock. Otherwise follow the restrictions.

#14 shepard

shepard

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 02:04 PM

They don't completely cover it. There is a little showing but they may be 3/16 I don't remember. I can't order felt pads because we don't have a computer.( I'm using my iPod touch) would that be okay? There Is so little showing.
LEGALIZE IT!!!!!

#15 Ryan201821

Ryan201821

Prince Edward

• Contributors
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 02:40 PM

They don't completely cover it. There is a little showing but they may be 3/16 I don't remember. I can't order felt pads because we don't have a computer.( I'm using my iPod touch) would that be okay? There Is so little showing.

From my experience, not only are the 3/8" diameter pads not wide enough, but they're even thinner than McMaster felt pads. Standard #8 washers are 7/16" OD. As it is the normal 1/2" diameter felt pads barely cover up #8 washers.

My suggestion: Get a hole punch and cut yourself out some of your own felt discs. Alternatively (although I don't recommend), you can use 3mm craft foam.

#16 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 03:24 PM

The padding needs to cover the entire washer. Ryan's suggested alternatives work, and there are several options floating around the site if you search for them.

#17 MajinnBuu98

MajinnBuu98

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 11:37 AM

So wait we can't use hot glue tipped darts?

#18 evilbunnyo

evilbunnyo

• Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 12:05 PM

So wait we can't use hot glue tipped darts?

Did you even read vacc's first post? Yes there are to be no glue dome darts unless padded with aproiate material.
Silence is golden but duct tape is silver

#19 sparklefish123

sparklefish123

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 08:14 AM

Now it's just a thought but maybe you would consider these? http://nerfhaven.com...showtopic=21282 They are the Taiwan style darts. I have shot myself with one I made from pointblank with my LS, the range is about 90 with these darts and it hurt as much as a slug, which is nothing. Maybe you could make some and test and make a decision?
PARTAY!

#20 Ryan201821

Ryan201821

Prince Edward

• Contributors
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 03:38 PM

Now it's just a thought but maybe you would consider these? http://nerfhaven.com...showtopic=21282 They are the Taiwan style darts. I have shot myself with one I made from pointblank with my LS, the range is about 90 with these darts and it hurt as much as a slug, which is nothing. Maybe you could make some and test and make a decision?

I couldn't see those being allowed, but Vacc is the supreme dictator here.

For all of you incompetent people who can't make slugs or think they're more dangerous than hot glue domes, I suggested you read this guide.

#21 sparklefish123

sparklefish123

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 04:41 PM

Ryan I have no problem making slugs I've made 1000+ very nice darts too, but these were just a thought.
PARTAY!

#22 kyle9

kyle9

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 10:22 AM

Is 1/8 thick felt padding too thin?

#23 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 10:03 AM

Is 1/8 thick felt padding too thin?

From what people who have tested them have said, yes, please use a thicker padding.

On the 3BBQ darts: I'm not going to allow them. That is a lot of exposed metal.

#24 HasreadCoC

HasreadCoC

• Members
  • 274 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 12:45 PM

I feel rather nervous posting in this thread, as I live nowhere near the war and won't be attending, but I just had a thought that people might find interesting. What about putting the McMaster felt heads on top of regular glue domes? So that people could easily convert them over? Plus, rather than having it be foam-glue-washer-felt (where the metal is just under the felt) it would be foam-glue-weight-glue-felt. All it would do is add an extra layer of something non-metal between you and the weight, it certainly wouldn't hurt MORE than just a plain ol' weight right below the padding. This way anyone who has a supply of glue darts ready could switch over without having to start from scratch.

Thoughts?

Edited by HasreadCoC, 22 July 2011 - 12:46 PM.

I'm the only respectable person here. The rest of the NIC are pretty much just child molesters.

AKA: ObiWonTwo on Nerfrevolution, and most of the rest of the internet for that matter.....

#25 Zorns Lemma

Zorns Lemma

Sir Scrt

• Moderators
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 01:10 PM

Thoughts?

Your pseudonym here is obvious falsity.
"In short, the same knowledge that underlies the ability to produce correct judgement is also the knowledge that underlies the ability to recognize correct judgement. To lack the former is to be deficient in the latter."
Kruger and Dunning (1999)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users