Maxd 3k Conversion

super soaker to nerf

1 reply to this topic

#1 J cobbers

J cobbers

• Members
  • 586 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 06:10 PM

After buying the Max D 3k twin pack at target to get a replacement pump for my at2k (see this topic) I saw massive potential to turn it into a straight up nerf gun. I took some pictures, but need to develop the roll before I can show them.

The conversion is not too complicated.
To start open up the gun, pull out the guts, but pay attention to how the trigger attaches to the ball valve for later reassembly. take out the plastic air tank and pull the valve off the front. Use a plyers to disconnect the air tube that comes in from the bottom, keeping the dark blue cover intact.

Cut down the nozzel on the fron of the valve, and pull off the filter attached to the large diameter vinal tubing. It won't pull right out, but with some plyers you can crush the plastic the the tubing covers until it comes loose. Next simply glue (useing the strongest stuff you can find, Plumbers goop recommended) the dark blue cover of the air tube coming from the pump onto the large vinal tubing from the valve. The cover should fix pretty tightly over the vinal tubing. When I did this I had to break off the end of the pump and thred some spliced tubing out the back of the butt of the gun to accomplish this. Going though the gun itself because the ammount of tubing isn't long enough. When splicing I used glue and hose clamps to get a strong seal.

The last step is to make your barrel and put every thing back together. First take a hobby knife and cut off the four ridges on the front part of the valve, so that 1/2 PVC will slide a bit farther onto it. Next make a barrel; I used a 5" 1/2 cpvc barrell nested inside about 7" of 1/2 PVC. 1/2 PVC fits nicely over the front. Then sand (I use a dremel) the front of the case so that you can close it up nicely. If you want you can trim down some of the case. I removed a 2 inch section from area that used to support the water tank.

Any way once the glue is dried I'll have some results for you, I don't have access to a tape measure so, it will be my impressions.

Don't forget to eat your meat based vegetable substitute children.

#2 J cobbers

J cobbers

• Members
  • 586 posts

Posted 12 May 2004 - 11:01 AM

Right just gave the thing a range test, and it performed as expected. The only problem is that it only holds 4 pumps before it blows the cap of the large vinal tubing, but it doesn't leak, it just pops off. The range isn't mindblowing but respectable and comparable to my other long range guns . I'd say about 75 to 80 feet tops with a micro stephan. I may have to implament epoxy to hold it together, which would allow it to be pumped more, and thus increase the range, and perhaps a better barrel material would also help. The last comment I have is the handle is designed for little kids which makes holding the thing somewhat akward. Still if I can work out the bugs it should make a nice loaner gun, or maybe I'll sell it.

Don't forget to eat your meat based vegetable substitute children.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users