My schwartz is bigger than yours!

7 replies to this topic

#1 Buffdaddy

Buffdaddy

Do not buy from this member

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 824 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 09:10 PM

After thinking about the ratchet mechanism in an Ultimator, I realized a caulk gun does the same thing. Well, certain kinds. In any case, should be good for conversion!

I used this model: (LINK). Any one will do, as long as you can do the following:

1) NOT A RATCHETING ROD. I'm referring to one that has wedges in the rod for pushing it along. This works differently from the kind posted above, and is not what you want.
2) a rod/plunger head that you can disassemble.
3) While not necessary, being able to disassemble/reverse the trigger mechanism is a big help. Otherwise, you're stuck with reversing the rod, and having little actual support structure for constructing your blaster.

Posted Image
Here's my caulk gun in it's normal state. the plunger head is actually just shy of 2" diameter. Which means 2" PVC might be a possibility....

Posted Image
...oh, look! 2" coupler fits perfectly in the base, and can surround the trigger mechanism! Although I've jumped a few steps. Let's start from the beginning.

Posted Image
Here's me, unscrewing the trigger mechanism. We'll put it on backwards in a bit. Obviously, you should have already taken the plunger head off, or you can't reverse it :-P

Posted Image
Cut a slot here. you need it so that the lever has space to fully extend; otherwise, it won't work properly.

Posted Image
Reassemble in reverse. You now have a shell to put your blaster in....normally. Turns out the way mine was welded, it wasn't straight enough, and keeping the shell would have meant problems with the plunger pressing against one wall of the tube, yada yada. So I ended up removing it, and keeping just the base, for the 2" coupler to sit in.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Chop up a 2" coupler, and a 2" to 1/2" bushing as needed to clear all the space around the mechanism. Has to move freely, you know. And put a short stub of 1/2" PVC. Solvent weld all of that together. Also be sure to JB weld the base, and make it nice and solid.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Take another 2" by 1/2" bushing, remove the lip on the inside so it can slide over the 1/2" PVC. Then put a coupler on the pipe. Apply adhesive as necessary to hold things together. Note that you can still slide it off.

Posted Image
Now for the plunger head. In hindsight, I should have kept the normal orientation, put the skirt seal behind that, and a polycarb cirlce behind that. Would have made it still capable of disassembly. Also, I SHOULD HAVE PUT THE SPRING ON FIRST. A [k26] is a bitch to wind around a 5/16" steel rod. Anyhow, the spring will sit in the coupler at the base just fine.

I cut a 1 7/8" polycarb circle, with a 5/16" hole in the middle. I put the skirt in the middle, and then JB welded the polycarb and metal together. The skirt is still free to move a bit; I put a 1/4" sliver of thinwall 1 1/4" PVC inside it for spacing it properly. Clamp together, and let cure.

Posted Image
Put on a 10" length of 2" PVC for your barrel, then cap it. Drill a hole for airflow, then take a 1/2" bushing of some kind and cut the pipe end down until flat. Weld together and cure.

Not pictured, but necessary: use screws to hold the plunger tube together, so you can disassemble as needed.

Posted Image
Make sure you're lubed up, and you're ready to go. Initial testing had me hitting 100' easily, although I should note the only availabe barrel at the time was 22" of CPVC. Obviously too much. I'll have more testing and video later.

Q: How do you prime it?
A: You pull back the rod. Or use the lever, if you're a weakling. lol

Q: How does it fire?
A: The metal plate in the trigger position exerts severe friction on the steel rod in one direction. This allows full spring compression. By pressing it, you release the rod and fire, just like on an Ultimator or XXL Bazooka.

Q: I don't like the giant hook in the back, waiting to diddle my face. Anything I can do?
A: Sure thing, you can always build a shield for your face.

Q: I don't want a pullback blaster...
A: Then make it pump action. Dear lord, do I have to do everything for you?

Firing video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OwkK3AF21E

Edited by Buffdaddy, 20 August 2011 - 11:06 PM.

#2 jwasko

jwasko

PowerBeard

• Moderators
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 09:20 PM

I remember looking at a caulk gun years ago (before even seeing an Ultimator) and thinking "if only I could turn it around"...nice job actually following through with the idea everyone had when someone first posted an Ultimator's internals.

Edited by jwasko, 29 July 2011 - 09:20 PM.

-Jwasko, STILL Sole Surviving member of Steel City Nerf and Sober Sister of the Sex Dwarves
We NERF ON all day, and FUCK OFF all night

#3 cheyner

cheyner

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 09:32 PM

Somebody has to say it, I love your giant caulk Buffdaddy.

I will have to dig through all the different caulk guns at work tomorrow to see if they will work.

Beaver's post claiming Kane's post claiming Demon Lord's post is correct is correct is correct.

Canadian Nerfers-R.I.P.

#4 Ozymandias

Ozymandias

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 01:06 AM

I tried this a while back, but the catch always failed; then again, I think it was the ratcheting variety.

One suggestion, if you're unwilling to pay ~$5 for a skirt seal: get a caulk tube, empty it, clean it out, and use the pusher from that as your plunger head. It will need a lot of re-enforcement obviously, but it should get a near perfect seal.
If you wish to post anything HvZ related, here ya go.

"...if you've ever suffered the effects of a fucking faggot retard overpopulation, you'll understand what devistaiting effects it can have on one's psyche." - Talio

#5 soloz1

soloz1

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 01:27 AM

I love this thing!

...Man, if I lived on Oahu, I would've dropped in on Pineapple by now. On Molokai. Via Kayak. ...Fuck, we're depending on you guys to defend us from 3DBBQ, get your shit together already.

#6 shardbearer

shardbearer

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 09:14 PM

Nice job Buff.

And not only can you use a head from a caulk tube, you could use the tube too!

#7 koolky98

koolky98

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 02:31 PM

awsome dude

#8 Langley

Langley

LGLF - Since 2002

• Administrators
  • 2,997 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 04:17 PM

Please don't post in threads that are several weeks old (or in this case months old) unless you have something significant to add. Please read the New Members Guide

You can poop in my toilet anytime champ.

2016 Nerf War Schedule
Bless you, my son. Now recite 3 New Members Guides and 5 Code of Conducts for your sins.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users